1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

sigh the Associate Press reports the same

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by mmillman, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    story as the Washington Post. Part of the liberal media. Despite the fact that conservatives have the biggest ratings on Fox with their "news" and on radio with Limbaugh and his fair and balanced views.

Palin tries to defend qualifications in interview

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    [IMG] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]In this image released by ABC, ABC News anchor Charles Gibson talks to Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin in Fairbanks, Alaska in an interview, Thursday, Sept. 11, 2008. The first excerpts will air Thursday on "World News with Charles Gibson" and "Nightline." On Friday, portions of the interview will air on "Good Morning America," "World News," "Nightline" and a special one-hour "20/20." (AP Photo/ABC, Donna Svennik) [/FONT] [IMG]View related video
    FORT WAINWRIGHT, Alaska -- In her first televised interview since being named to the GOP ticket, Sarah Palin says she's ready to be president if called upon. However, she sidestepped questions on whether she had the national security credentials needed to be commander in chief.
    Republican presidential candidate John McCain has defended his running mate's qualifications, citing her command of the Alaska National Guard and Alaska's proximity to Russia.
    In the interview broadcast Thursday, Palin sought to defend her qualifications to assume one of the most powerful jobs in the world. But she struggled with foreign policy, unable to describe President Bush's doctrine of pre-emptive strikes against threatening nations and acknowledging she's never met a foreign head of state.
    Pressed about what insights into recent Russian actions she gained by living in Alaska, Palin told Charles Gibson of ABC News, "They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    Palin, 44, has been Alaska's governor for less than two years and before that was a small-town mayor. She was McCain's surprise selection for the No. 2 slot on the ticket, raising questions about her readiness to serve in the White House, particularly during wartime.
    Asked whether those were sufficient credentials, Palin said: "It is about reform of government and it's about putting government back on the side of the people, and that has much to do with foreign policy and national security issues." She said she brings expertise in making the country energy independent as a former chairman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission.
    Palin said other than a trip to visit soldiers in Kuwait and Germany last year, her only other foreign travel was to Mexico and Canada. She also said she had never met a head of state and added: "If you go back in history and if you ask that question of many vice presidents, they may have the same answer that I just gave you."
    Foreign policy questions dominated the first of three interviews Palin was giving Gibson over two days.
    In the interview Thursday, Palin:
    -Appeared unsure of the Bush doctrine - essentially that the United States must help spread democracy to stop terrorism and that the nation will act pre-emptively to stop potential foes.
    Asked whether she agreed with that, Palin said: "In what respect, Charlie?" Gibson pressed her for an interpretation of it. She said: "His world view." That prompted Gibson to say "no, the Bush doctrine, enunciated September 2002, before the Iraq war" and describe it to her.
    "I believe that what President Bush has attempted to do is rid this world of Islamic extremism, terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our nation," Palin said, though added "there have been mistakes made."
    Pressed repeatedly on whether the United States could attack terrorist hideouts in Pakistan without the country's permission, she said: "If there is legitimate and enough intelligence that tells us that a strike is imminent against American people, we have every right to defend our country. In fact, the president has the obligation, the duty to defend."
    -Said nuclear weapons in Iran's hands are dangerous, and said "we've got to put the pressure on Iran." Asked three times what her position would be if Israel felt threatened enough to attack Iranian nuclear facilities, Palin repeatedly said the United States shouldn't "second guess" Israel's steps to secure itself.
    -Called for Georgia and the Ukraine to be included in NATO, a treaty that requires the U.S. to defend them militarily. She also said Russia's attack into Georgia last month was "unprovoked." Asked to clarify that she'd support going to war over Georgia, she said: "Perhaps so."
    Later, in the second interview, Palin said she broke from McCain on climate change and oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. McCain has said humans have caused climate change and the federal government shouldn't permit drilling in the federally protected wildlife reserve.
    Palin, however, said: "I believe that man's activities certainly can be contributing to the issue of global warming, climate change. ... Regardless though of the reason for climate change, whether it's entirely, wholly caused by man's activities or is part of the cyclical nature of our planet - the warming and the cooling trends - regardless of that, John McCain and I agree that we gotta do something about it."
    On ANWR, she said: "We'll agree to disagree but I'm gonna keep pushing that and I think eventually we're all gonna come together on that one."
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
  3. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Gee, you guys are hard. She was nervous. Who cares about the Bush Doctrine?

She talked too fast and got on my nerves with the "charlie" references. But she passed the test. Not with flying colors, but she passed. The fact the MSM is distorting (Wash Post) , or was trying to distort, what she said tellls me she passed and is still a threat to their guy Barry. Had she bombed, the Post would write her Obit and move on.
  4. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can you please post a link to the unedited, official, signed documentation of the "Bush Doctrine"?
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,043 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    Do you?
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,830 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    It is very basic:

Do it to them before they do it to you.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I did when he asked it. Have already said in another thread I knew what he was referring to as soon as he asked it.
  8. canters

canters Active Member

1,797 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    BP, don't take the partisan attacks!!
  9. theogt

44,043 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    How could you possibly know exactly what it refers to? It doesn't refer to any specific thing. It's basically an agressive stance against terrorism. It's not one specific policy, such as the Monroe Doctrine.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Sure...as soon as you show me any of the following documents.

If you do not support the president, you don't support the troops.

If you think the war is wrong then you love the enemy.

All dems would love to lose the war.

The doctrine is not a piece of paper in this case and I would hope you would know it is not. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you do know so and would like to pull a slick Code Red/Chow Hall play from A few good men.:laugh2:

However if you want things more precise and where the bush doctrine started...

The first mention of this was done by W in the debates between W and Kerry in the presidential debates.

I am sure you are more than capable of looking it up for yourself.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Because I am not an idiot? Because I watched the Kerry/W debates? Because it has been referred to multiple times in the past?

Just because it is not a piece of paper, just because it is not known by her or others...does not mean many do not know what he was referring to.

Sorry if people don't know and I and others do.
  12. theogt

44,043 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    That's usually not the best way to answer your doubters.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
  14. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Than you are saying you are not capable of looking it up?

Are you saying I am giving you more credit than I should?
  15. theogt

44,043 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    You're not quite understanding what I'm saying here. It's NOT A SINGLE SPECIFIC POLICY. I'm not asking how could you, BP, know what it is, but rather, how could any person possibly know exactly what it is, because there's no exact policy.
  16. theogt

44,043 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    No, it's usually an indication that someone can't define their own thoughts.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Because it is a philosophy that has been talked about many times by the Bush Administration.

Once again he talked about it in the Kerry/W debates and has talked about in other interviews over the years. It is nothing new.

Now I know you might want me to pin it down to an exact document, but it is not a document it is a philosophy that is called the Bush Doctrine. One that has been exercised by going into Iraq and currently into Pakistan for specific targets.

This is not something that someone just pulled out of a hat that never existed before that nobody has ever heard before.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I already have told you. You don't want to hear it so you pull this.

It is out there, it seems I know what it is, seems you and Palin do not.

So it is not my job to educate you and provide you with the source, it is your job to educate yourself and do some research yourself since you seem to be the one who does not know.

Spin it how you want. I have also given you a clue where to start.
  19. theogt

44,043 Messages
    1,161 Likes Received
    You're still not understanding. I'm not saying it's an exact document. I'm not saying it's been written down somewhere and you should be able to pull that up. What I'm saying is that it has been used to encompass numerous policies which have been employed by the Bush administration. That's why Palin responded, "In what sense?" It means many different things. You can't "know" what it means unless you know what all the different policies underlying it are. And then it becomes pointless to refer to it as a doctrine as it's more of, as I stated earlier, a simply aggressive stance toward terrorism, which encompass any number of policies, not some single policy known as the Bush Doctrine.

Of course you say you do. And I'm not really concerned with whether you do or not. I'm just saying that when you don't give evidence that you do and you tell someone to go figure it out on their own, it's usually an indication that the person doesn't know.
  20. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's the answer I expected. Thank you, BP.