1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Signals Question of the Day -4

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Signals, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,599 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    What is the longest ROAD trip you have taken -- where'd you go? How far did you travel??
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    We used to drive from Dallas to San Diego at least once a year. I also drove from Dallas to NYC when I moved here. I was young during the San Diego trips, NYC we (brother and I) drove for 30 straight hours switching off every 5 hours.
  3. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,707 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I drove from Orlando Florida to Austin Texas to meet friends I played with in Everquest, including another poster on this forum ^_^

I also drove from Pittsburgh down to Orlando to help my friend move and be my roommate (also met in Everquest).

Did both drives straight though, only stopping for gas.
    The Pittsburgh drive was rough. Had the biggest size Uhaul and was towing a car, Uhaul and Car both filled to the brim. We also had a fully grown Labrador in the Uhaul with us. I was the only one to drive due to my roomate having his license suspended at the time. Trip took about 16-17 hours.

The last hours of a drive like that really gnaw at you, but overall road trips like that are exciting and fun so long as you have a lot of good music with you. While in Pittsburgh I bought 100$ CD player and a ton of batteries just to listen to music on the trip down, cause the Uhaul had no CD player.

Some of my favorite memories are from those 2 trips.
  4. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :eek: :p: :D

I drove once from NY to Dallas to visit my father. Just about 35 more miles for that trip than the trip from NY to Nebraska to visit my mother, which I've done several times.
  5. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,707 Messages
    175 Likes Received

Pretty sure I still have pictures somewhere of your Bowling victory pose. haha
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,944 Likes Received
    I personally drove to Alabama by myself. That was an 8 hr drive.

When I was a kid my Dad used to drive to Texas from Chicago to pick me up for the summer. We'd swing through Arkansas on the way back to see or pick up my little brother there before heading back to Chicago.

I don't really know how long the trip was. I just know I've never driven it and don't plan to.
  7. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Passenger from San Clemente to Virginia when I was 6...typical military move.

This summer will mark the 3rd annual drive from the Florida panhandle to Vermont (appox 27 hours with a 5 and 6 year old)....and I'll actually be making that same drive in March for my wedding.
  8. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

1,959 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    6700 miles in 13 days on my 1995 Harley Softail Custom. Starting in north western Vermont we zig zagged our way out to Telluride Co then on to Zion National Park in south western Utah. Had company on the way out but rode back by myself. Year before that was only 3500 miles down to Smokey Mountains. Year before that was 5500 out to Sturgis and on the Beartooth Highway and Yellowstone.

Glacier National and the Pacific NW is on the agenda for this year.

I loves to ride my motorcycle.

Helped a buddy move from Idaho to upstate NY once. That was a hardcore straight through drive in a pickup towing a car. We did take a side trip to Jackson Hole WY to do some skiing. Helped another buddy move to NW Vermont from South Carolina, That was in a Uhaul truck towing a car.

I love road trips.
  9. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    12 hours to Las Vegas.

Not to party or anything -- the inlaws live there. And we went with five kids in the vehicle. Uggggh.
  10. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

1,959 Messages
    110 Likes Received

Put the boat in at Converse Bay last weekend.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    New Orleans to Cape Hatteras was about 18+ hours with no stops....so a bit more than that...19-20 maybe.
  12. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's awesome! Is Converse Bay clear of ice? I'd think it would be full of shanties by now...

I can't wait to move up there....

VT to Telluride...two of my favorite places in the world. On a bike no less....call me jealous. Can't imagine riding a bike through the pacific NW would be much of a disappointment, either...
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    From Seattle, Washington to Washington, DC. We were returning to the mainland after being stationed in Hawaii, and had to drive our cars shipped from Hawaii to Sea-Tac over to Northern Virginia.

Been here ever since...minus a brief hiatus up at West Point and down at Fort Benning.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    From our home here in Kansas to my in-laws in Ohio. We have made that trip a bunch of times and it's about 1700 miles round trip.
  15. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Haha! No please!

:eek::
  16. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Newburgh, NY to Santa Ana, CA (and back).
  17. Warick

Warick Member

705 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Last August, A group of us drove up to Columbus, Ohio for the Mopar Nationals. A friend of mine bought a used RV for the trip, which seemed like a good idea at the time, except the AC quit working a few times, and it got a little warm since we couldn't open the windows. We also a few electrical issues along the way, and the trip turned out to be more expensive than I was initially told (this was my first time to go with them), but it was fun.

Oh, and the back window on my friends Charger opped out of the car halfway to Arkansas, and was sitting on the deck lid when I noticed it at a truck stop.

This year, if I get my camaro up and running, me and a friend are going to take it up to Witchita, KS, where they have a big car show, drag race, etc.
  18. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Do it again!
  19. 63echo

63echo Member

279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Southernmost tip of Texas to Maine. The outfit I work for only allows you to drive 300 miles a day during a sponsored move like that, so the trip took 9 days. It was actually a pretty nice way to travel and I hope that I get to do it again in reverse order sometime soon.
  20. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I absolutely deplore driving long distances. My wife wants to buy a vacation home in Vermont, but knows we were hardly ever go there because I will refuse to drive that far. :laugh2: