1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Since it's quiet-Kipers take on our new signings

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by texastwister, Mar 21, 2006.

1. texastwister

texastwister Member

475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Q: With Dallas signing wide receiver Terrell Owens and offensive tackle Jason Fabini, what area of need will the Cowboys address in the first round? -- Rob, Charlestown, R.I.

A: Two of the Cowboys need areas entering the draft were offensive tackle and wide receiver. Signing Owens and Fabini takes those two out of the equation. The other need areas are at free safety, where they could look at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, or at linebacker, where they could take a player like Iowa's Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims from Florida State. Addressing two of their biggest needs through free agency also gives the Cowboys maneuverability to trade down.

Probably guessing on SIms since he is in Dallas tomorrow for private workout:laugh2:
  2. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,170 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    I am still hoping for the N.C. State LB
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Don't forget, Manny Lawson and Bobby Carpenter are suppose to come in this week too.
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I don't think Sims or Greenway are good 3-4 fits.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,499 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    Sims sure isn't, some teams are looking at him as a safety.
  6. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just say No to Greenway
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,560 Messages
    4,846 Likes Received
    I always have heard good things about him.

Is that not correct?
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,499 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    Does anyone have Kiper's FAgency guide? I would appreciate them sharing his info on the players we got if so.
  9. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,402 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I was hoping we could get a vet FS and draft a FS late, as I've heard we can get some nice FS's late in the first day/early in the second day.

I still want us to draft a young WR to replace either Owens or Glenn when they finally sputter and make their final catch...

I'm almost convinced we're going for an OLB with the first pick. I'm hoping Cutler/Young falls to us so we can trade down and get a pretty nice draft pick for it. Then we could still get a good OLB, and we won't have to worry about future QB busts...
  10. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,140 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received

Does Kiper give any indication of who the RedStinks will draft in the 1st round this coming draft? :lmao:
  11. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I have only seen a handfull of games he played in college and from what I did see I was not impressed and then he ran and lifted poorly at the combine...

AJ Hawk who I thought disappeared in the Pennstate game won me over in the workouts because I was a little sour on him after watching the Penn State game but Greenway failed to do that..

IO could be wrong though, I was very excited when we got Antoinio Bryant and look how that turned out
  12. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,969 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Greenway's hype meter peaked at the beginning of the season. Since then he was outplayed by most of the linebackers on Ohio State's starting D as well as those on Penn State's D. If I had to predict, he's a second rounder.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,579 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I don't think so either. Lawson, Carpenter, Wimbley and Hawk all fit much, much better as 34 backers.
  14. DLCassidy

DLCassidy Active Member

2,390 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I would take Carpenter, Wimbley or Lawson ahead of Greenway. Greenway is like Derrick Johnson, a guy that likes to run around blocks. Not a good 3-4 fit. Sims is way too small to play SOLB. I have no idea why we're talking to him.
  15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,457 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Some drafts having DQwell Jackson as our first LB selection in the second round.
  16. mschmidt64

mschmidt64 Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kiper is too concerned with need.

Take the best player.

Our needs are down to FS and OLB and we have guys that we can try there with a good amount of hope... Burnett and Beriault. If Burnett can't cut it, we can get by with Singleton there.

(Kicker, too, but you aren't gonna draft that)

None of these positions should be exploited like we had positions exploited last year. Don't reach on average players when better ones are there.
  17. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,402 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Any good NT's in the draft?
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,560 Messages
    4,846 Likes Received
    Now I have seen Jackson quite a bit compared to Greenway.

I really like Jackson's production. He certainly is a touch short, but he is very productive and aggressive. I would love to get him in the second round, then move the Ayodele person to the outside.
  19. Thick 'N Hearty

Thick 'N Hearty Active Member

2,359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know nothing of this Sims guy. Has anyone seen him play or heard anything good about him. I hear Lawson and Carpenter all the time.
  20. Manster74

Manster74 Member

150 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I still feel this draft is just too ripe for the boys to trade down once or twice and pick up some extra picks. All the while still picking up solid contributors. Now if they can just get a couple of other teams to go along with that idea.