1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

SI's Tony Pauline Senior Bowl Day 1 Report....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by InmanRoshi, Jan 24, 2011.

1. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/24/senior.bowl.monday/index.html#ixzz1C0xaC33L
  2. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,222 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I'm still struggling to understand why everyone has Carimi pegged as a late first/early second prospect.

Maybe I'm way off, but I think the Outland Winner who replaced Joe Thomas as a redshirt freshman who you could probably plug in as a Day 1 RT would be valued more than that.

I don't think he'll ever be flashy and he isn't as good as a Thomas, Long or Okung, but he looks like a guy you just plug in and start for the next 10 years.

He's a guy whose stock could really rocket with a solid Senior Bowl.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. I really like Carimi and think he fits the profile of what we need at RT. I have him ranked ahead of Solder and Castanzo.

Brewer is another interesting prospect to keep an eye on.
  4. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cameron Jordan is going to rise just like Wes Bunting predicted on Vela's site.

I hope he gets in the mix at number 9, because Dareus is probably not going to be there.
  5. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,083 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    was blocking people with ONE arm and they weren't going anywhere.. No, I'm not exaggerating.

I don't know if it was a technique he was taught or something he's been doing his whole life, but he looked like a natural doing it too. He looked like a matador in a bullfight, only the bulls weren't getting past him. If he continues practicing and playing this way, he just shot himself all the way to the 2nd round, maybe even higher.
  6. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why wasn't there any coverage of the south on NFLN? ***.

BTW i'm all for trading down and getting Kerrigan around 15-17.

That dudes a baller.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,871 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    I agree.

People questioned his athletic ability but I thought all along that part was severely underrated.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,524 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Carimi is a fine RT prospect, the question really is how high are you willing to take a RT. Pick #9 is LT territory, really.
  9. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    James Brewer/T/Indiana: Brewer pulled off a dominant performance on the first day of Senior Bowl practice and quickly established himself as the best blocker at the event. He looked big and powerful during morning weigh-ins then played that way in the afternoon. Brewer moves well on his feet and also annihilates opponents once he got his hands on them. He was never beat today and drew praise from coaches on a number of occasions

Analysis

Strengths: Has great athleticism for his size and a quick first step off the snap. Has a strong upper body, uses his arms well to knock rushers off their path. Good agility and can move with ease laterally. Has a very quick kick-slide to mirror speed rushers to the outside. Has good awareness and adjusts well to blitzes. Keeps his pad level low and is able to get good leverage for a player of his size. Good quickness and is effective when pulling. Adjusts to spin moves and attacks cut blocks. Gets to the second level quickly. Has quick feet and can lock onto linebackers in the open field. Does not drive defenders out of the play but does a good job occupying them and sustaining his blocks. Weaknesses: Does not display much aggression. Regularly grabs the outside of the defenders' shoulder pads instead of attacking his chest to drive and steer him out of the play. Does not make the first contact and tends to wait and catch the defender. Lacks a nasty demeanor when run blocking. Doesn't take good pursuit angles and often fails to keep his body square. Fails to explode off the ball in the run game and also struggles to hold his ground against bull rushers. Can open his hips and get beat to the inside. Ineffective when cut blocking and struggles to take down athletic defensive ends. Could do a better job keeping his feet moving once engaged. Missed time in 2007, '08 and 2010 with foot and ankle injuries. Not a vocal leader on the field or in the locker room and his competitiveness has been questioned.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,568 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I would be okay with Cameron Jordan at #9 and James Brewer at #40
  11. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Jordan at 9 will be looked at as a steal 5 years from now. Mark my words.

And I can't see i'll be disappointed with Brewer at 9 based on what I saw today. Haven't seen much/heard much of him prior to today but he was ballin out there.
  12. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Sounds good to me. Although I think we'll address RT in free agency, and probably attack interior line through the draft. After watching Romo sit out all year because of a rookie mistake, Jerry and Garrett aren't going to put Romo's collarbone in the hands of a rookie starting tackle.
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,222 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Who though?

There are decent enough guards in free agency, but the tackles leave a lot to be desired.

Might be Colombo back again.
  14. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,714 Messages
    32 Likes Received
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,214 Messages
    787 Likes Received
    Brewer is one of those guys that flashes now and then but is not consistant.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,830 Messages
    1,765 Likes Received
    Well...we will have to see if he keeps it up during all of the practices and in the game.

Normally if they are a great now, not so great later kind of prospect it will show during the week or the game.

However it is hard not to be impressed with watching him a little. Might be one of those players that just needs a good O-Line coach or motivated. Who knows.

Concerning Jordan. I have been on record as saying I really don't like the idea of taking a 3-4 DE with the 9 spot, but if we did, he was the one that intrigued me the most.

Also like moffit later (not sure where he is projected) due to his ability to play both OG and C.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Brewers biggest problem is he played in College Football Siberia at IU.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,871 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received

See im not sold on him NOT being a Left Tackle.

But either way I look at him as a Starter for the next 10 years no matter what so I would take that in the 1st round.

Even if it is a RT.

But we'll see how the top 8 shake out before I trade down and get Carimi (if by the draft we could even trade down and still get him).
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,871 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    He was pass blocking with 1 arm right? Because thats a common move.

But if he was run blocking with 1 arm then L O L he is the man.
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No way I take a 3-4 DE at #9. I trade down first. 3-4 DEs can be had for a lot less value. This is the reason so many teams are switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. 4-3 linemen are harder to find than 3-4 linemen (with the exception of a dominating NT) I WOULD take a 3-4 NT at #9 if a good one was to be had.