1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Six Seahawks have tested positive for PEDs since 2011

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 19, 2013.

1. Langonelives

Langonelives Member

93 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You have never taken adderall, have you?
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,735 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    I think a second offense does result in a full season suspension.

So you don't think losing $1 million dollars is a big deal? Considering how many of these are near broke after they retire, I think losing that type of money is not something to scoff at.
  3. bounce

bounce Active Member

671 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    No kidding. My experience with adderall (prescribed) is nothing like 'heightened senses and major energy."
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,934 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    I disagree. 1/4 of the season is a lot. Not to mention a 2nd pop is a year.

And aderall should be a banned substance, like drugs, not a PED
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,934 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    If u lived in seattle....u would too :)
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,402 Messages
    2,115 Likes Received
    People always think they won't be caught.

I mean, under your line of thinking they could get suspended for 12 of 16 games and scrape by on 1 million.

People are stupid. There's Like 1600 players in the league during the regular seasons.

We're looking at a few who test positive and saying that the deterrent measures aren't good enough?
  7. Hoofbite

32,402 Messages
    2,115 Likes Received
    This could be the difference.

From what I have read people who actually "need" it possibly experience the effects differently than those who do not.

Couple of things that I have seen suggest that some of the core symptoms might be due to a reduced inhibitory pathway on things like impulsivity and hyperactivity.

So, you give a stimulant and bring the person out of a deficit in this area and what you see is, less impulsive behavior and less hyperactivity. In that sense, for a kid who goes from hyperactive to normal the effects may be seen as "calming".

For someone who doesn't need it, they likely don't experience any sort of hyperactivity or impulsiveness to begin with (or not to the same degree). Instead they basically just experience the central stimulating effects which is improved focus and reduced fatigue.

As far as improving sense, I don't think that's part of it. At best people are able to direct a greater amount of their attention to these things. I guess I could see how someone may think that is improved sensory ability but I don't think that is what is necessarily happening.

I think the reason these players use it is because of the fatigue aspect. No doubt it reduces fatigue and if you could be as fresh in the 4th quarter as you were when the game started you're probably getting a benefit out of it.
  8. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,217 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Williams and Davis were suspended for using pot...that's not exactly a performance-enhancing drug lol...so not sure how that falls under "cheating".

Jackson never played a down for the Skins and his transgression occurred before the Skins signed him. Hard to call that cheating as well.

And Jordon Black was suspended for a prescription drug the league already knew he was taking. There was a big deal over this at the time:

That leaves three players, which is still too much...but at least two of the three are no longer on the team.
  9. Langonelives

Langonelives Member

93 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I think I think I think... you talk a lot for not ever trying it. You have no idea how much, when he took it, or the effects of it. Also, it doesn't help with phyiscal fatigue.
  10. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

549 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same thing myself. They had no respect for us from the beginning of that game and physically pounded us throughout. Coming off the Gmen win that game really provided a true indication of this teams physical awareness and mental fortitude to play with the bigger boys. We looked like we we're hit in the mouth and just wanted go home from the coach down to the water boys.
    IF we could have gotten by the redskins at the end of last year, it would have been fun to see how we would have responded.
  11. pw52

pw52 Member

37 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Adderall was a cover up for the steroids they took.
  12. Hoofbite

32,402 Messages
    2,115 Likes Received
    My comments regarding fatigue were made in the context of the CNS. I didn't intend for them to be generalized to "physical fatigue" and was only intending to comment on the mental aspect. It produces wakefulness and diminishes mental fatigue......will that suffice for you?

My comments are also based on what I have read about ways that it is believed to produced it's intended effects for people with ADHD. It's not simply, "well this sounds good so lets throw it out there". It's based on articles of proposed mechanisms because ultimately they don't have that entirely nailed down yet.

I was simply providing rationale for why someone who does need it may experience effects that differ from someone who has not been given a prescription for it. Hell, even two people who both have been prescribed could experience it differently. There's a whole lot more that goes into the equation of "subjective experience" than you or I can even comment on.

Which brings me to the point of your appeal to firsthand experience. It's entirely irrelevant whether or not someone has tried it. Unless you want to make the claim that your experience is entirely the same for everyone else, who has taken what just doesn't matter. This in addition to the assumption that everyone who doesn't agree with you or posts something that contrasts with your view just hasn't tried it.

But, what you can do (and I suggest you might want to) is actually look into some literature on the matter so that you can make statements that are based on something a little more noteworthy than what you experienced last weekend at your buddies rager or what you have experienced since being started on the medication.
  13. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,633 Messages
    1,557 Likes Received
    Especially on a rookie salary.
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,939 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    Ok doctor. Perhaps you could tell us all the potential effects it has on a person who both needs the drug and those who don't need it.

Are they the same? Does everyone experience exactly the same effects? Does the degree of the effects vary depending on how much is taken and over what time frame?

Instead of acting like a with your comments try offering some actual possible information like the guy you're wanting to bag on simply because he didn't experiment with a drug that he doesn't need.

I've got friends whove taken this stuff and I've seen it work both ways. I've seen it simply calm a person down to where they're not bouncing off the walls and I'v seen it give another person a pretty damn good energy boost to where they felt like the could get a lot of things done. I've read, and heard, where quite a few college students have tried using this stuff specifically because for some it acts just like speed and they use it for craming for tests and what not.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,504 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    The problem is that the players face the penalty. The team does not. If the rules for violations were adjusted so that the Coaching Staff or the Ownership had to pay stiffer penalties, this would end. After all, it is the coaching staff and the team that is in the best position to know what's up. Lets not kid ourselves here, coaching staffs are often the ones responsible for doing this in the first place.

Unfortunately, that will never happen because the League doesn't want this to go away. They could easily clean it up if they wanted to. It's part of the package that makes up the product that rakes in the TV deals that serves to draw in the massive audience that turns into lucrative deals for the owners that generates 6 Billion Dollars annually. So yeah, it won't go away because the League does not want it to go away and neither do the networks. Neither care about the pure sport because it's a business and killing that aspect of the business might impact the bottom line. That's the honest truth of it.