1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Slim pickings @ #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheSport78, Jan 19, 2012.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,435 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    If you could choose from THREE PLAYERS who you truly believe will be available at #14, let's hear them, with #1 being your top choice and #3 being your last choice.

1. OG David DeCastro
    2. CB Dre Kirkpatrick (I know, I know)
    3. DE/LB Melvin Ingram
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,068 Messages
    1,059 Likes Received
    Kirkpatrick probably still goes top 15.
    1) DeCastro
    2) Jonathan Martin
    3) Michael Brockers
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,663 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    1.Ingram
    2.DeCastro
    3.Kirkpatrick
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,502 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    1. Decastro
    2. Kirkpatrick

Trade down.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,262 Messages
    652 Likes Received
    1) Coples
    2) Decastro
    3) Dre/trade down
  6. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    1. DeCastro
    2. Martin
    3. Still
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,942 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Where exactly would Jonathan Martin play?

But I agree that its DeCastro, Imgram, or Dre. If all 3 are gone Im trading back and hoping a team covets a player available.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,427 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I don't see slim picking at 14, right now none of us really know how the draft will play out and who will slide in the 1st rd and who will rise in the 1st rd. I'm sure many boards around the league will start to change over the course of the next 2 months as the combines and individual work outs start taking place.
  9. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    1. Melvin Ingram
    2. Nick Perry
    3. DeCastro

We have to improve the defense, first and foremost.
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    #1 Kirkpatrick
    #2 Ingram
    #3 DeCastro

DeCastro might be the more for sure and safer pick but I value a OLB in a 3-4 or a great CB more than I do a OG.
    I love DeCastro but OG is not worth the 14th pick. I can find a starting OG round 2 or 3. Chances of doing that with a CB or OLB is very very slim.
  11. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Right tackle with Free moving inside.
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Now that would be a huge reach. Drafting a RT at #14 with no possibility of moving to LT. We all knew that Smith would move to LT.

No way I draft a RT only in the 1st round. Free will be fine at RT.

We need defense.
  13. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    It has nothing to do with Free not being ok at RT. It has to do with putting a talented OL in front of Romo. If Martin is there at #14 he is probably at the top of the board and we aren't just drafting a RT. We are drafting a very talented player who starts from day one and instantly makes two positions on the OL better.

I agree that we need defense, but in my opinion, any pass rusher or corner likely to be there at #14 would be a much greater reach than Martin.
  14. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,873 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I could not agree more. Marrtin has the ability to play more than one position and would not be a reach.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I have to roll my eyes at some here.

After all the years of whining about not picking the BPA - so many are unwilling to pick the absolute best player at one position. And that will be Decastro.

And it is a position of serious need as well.

No one else that will be available at #14 will be considered the absolute BEST in the league at that position while at the same time being considered one of the BEST at that position that has come around in YEARS.

Luck is that way; no one here would blink at taking him if we had the chance.

But because DeCastro is a guard some turn their noses up at him?

JUST PLAIN STUPID
  16. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,575 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    1)ingram
    2)decastro
    3)kirkpatrick.
  17. VACowboy

3,586 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I'm just afraid he'll be long gone.
  18. Flyo87

Flyo87 New Member

19 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not sure the infatuation with Kirkpatrick. People talk about wanting ball hawks and guys who play the ball in the air and you want to draft this guy? He's too long legged and stiff to stick with guys like Nicks, Cruz, and all the other smaller WR's in our division. Unless we're playing a press man or cover 2 scheme I'm not looking at him. IMO his best attribute is his run support. Janoris Jenkins is a much better corner but he's got too many off the field issues and we've already take too many risks with these knucklehead guys. For me its Jared Crick all day. Complete player who would come in and improve our pass rush and collaspe the pocket. Got 9 sacks as a Jr without Suh there to take the attention away and is very good in the run game. He's going to be a nice 3-4DE for someone.
  19. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'll go Top 5. I'm glad it seems like some people are shying away from Kirkpatrick. His boneheaded mistake makes him untouchable from a Cowboys perspective (in my opinion).

1. David DeCastro
    2. Jonathan Martin
    3. Melvin Ingram
    4. Courtney Upshaw
    5. Luke Kuechly
    My reasoning behind this is that cornerback seems to be an area of strength in the free agency market and I think it is a long shot that we drop the dough on Nicks/Grubbs. Outside of Kirkpatrick, there is no cornerback that is worth taking in that spot that will be availabe (Dennard would be a reach). Jenkins or Minnifield might be there in the 2nd round and I think that's when we can take advantage of the deep second tier corners in this draft class.

I think we have to get on offensive linemen in here that can come in and start right away, whether it be through free agency or the draft. DeCastro isn't a reach in my opinion because he played in a pro-style offense, as well as Martin, and is one of the highest graded interior lineman since Steve Hutchinson (who was also taken in the first round at pick 17).

The DE/OLB crop is somewhat weak this year and I don't know if Ingram/Upshaw would be significant upgrades over Spencer, which is why I think we will eventually bring Spencer back. Unless Coples fell to us, and there are questions about his motor and I don't know how he'd adjust to playing in a 3-4 as a DE, but I just don't see a lot of players that will be there at 14 who would come in right away and fill Spencer's void.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I know from your previous post that you would like an elite pass rusher in this draft , but you have enough common sense to know that the BPA would be the wise pick at 14 . That pick just happens to be DeCastro . Some of these posters would rather take a CB or OLB that was ranked much lower , just to address defense . If Romo gets hurt for the third straight year, the same posters will be the first to blame Jerry for drafting poorly .