1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Slim remaining playoff hopes - any chance then Phili is must win game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LarryCanadian, Nov 10, 2012.

1. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Not really holding out a ton of optimism due to fact that we just get in our own way and find ways to lose too often to string enough wins together to really make a playoff run, BUT........

We have to basically sweep the rest of our division games to have a "wild card" hope. The Atlanta and Giant losses (each games we easily could have won) really hurt the conference record. Obviously we'd need help as well as there are alot of conference teams with a number of games lead in wildcard hunt.

Lose this game and I'd rather they spend rest of season evaluating a bunch of the younger players - play the Arkins, Kowalski's, Dunbars, Beasley's, Parnell, young safeties, and see what we got there, etc.

Win this game and get Murray back (look at our record with and without this guy - our offense went in tank without him last year too) and then hopefully/probably? beat Cleveland, and we are sitting back at .500 with still only one team with a winning record and a bunch of home games (not that that has proven an advantage) on the schedule.

Lose this game and if anyone thinks the media and scrutiny was ugly before, it ain't gonna be pretty.......blech.....

From a tiny bit of hope perspective and for a bit more enthusiasm watching the games, I hope we can win the next 2 and hit .500 and at least have an outside shot at PLAYOFFS (cue "playoffs!, playoffs?" gif.).

If we lose, I really hope we don't waste the rest of season in mediocrity and still not know what we have in the middle and bottom of the roster, as major changes will be needed (what benefit playing Felix and Jenkins and Spears and Coleman et all, if there is little or no chance they are re-signed in offseason anyway!). Go 3 and 6 and I'd rather start preparing now for an attempted turn around next season.....(this team doesn't ever do that though - just like they preach accountability and earning roster spots but never or RARELY replace guys after multiple games of consistent mistakes.....).

Just my thoughts at the halfway point.

LarryCanadian
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Yeah, both teams play for their season on Sunday. Even with a win the odds are long, but 3-6 finishes off either team. They aren't going 6-1 the rest of the way to have a shot at it.

The Eagles are a mess but they're at home and long overdue for a win. It's the only reason why I'm picking them. I don't think they're better than the Cowboys.
  3. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,205 Messages
    900 Likes Received
    God I hope we win this game. I'm just wishfully thinking out loud here but it would be nice if we could just go out there and smack the Eagles around and get a decisive victory. It just seems like all of our games are so dramatic and come down to the wire. I'd like to see a Cowboys win that doesn't involve us needing to score on the last possession or having to come up with a stop in the final 2 minutes. I hope this game ends with us on offense, and Orton taking a knee - because we're so far ahead the backups are in.
  4. tomsanders921

tomsanders921 Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    This game has the feeling of being a blowout.

I know the eagles have played terrible this year, and have lost 4 in a row, but they are a bad matchup for us.

Sure, their oline is terrible and can't block anyone. But this is the kind of game where they block us with ease. When we are expected to attack another teams huge weakness, that weakness suddenly turns into a strength for them.

And i don't like our offensive line against their dline.
  5. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,762 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    B-but I thought that was last weeks game @ Atlanta...
    See, people will just keep saying this until we're eliminated mathematically
  6. tomsanders921

1,066 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I think we all know that a loss here and it is over. No sugar coating it.

As of now, there is still hope with the easy schedule down the stretch.

But going to 3-6 would be the end.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,464 Likes Received
    I don't see Philly as a bad matchup anymore. We have speed at ILB and we should do reasonably well against the pass. The only problem I see is at S. Expect some sacks tomorrow for us and 1-2 turnovers at least. One sack FF and one INT at least. I do wonder about keeping Tony alive and well but I suspect he'll do ok. Giving up big plays is also worrisome to me as well.
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,444 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Eagles will struggle to score on us.

Our CBs are good enough to stay with their receivers, and if Ware and Spencer set any type of edge, I don't see Shady giving our speedy LBs a lot of trouble....Cowboys should expect lots of runs and screens at Ware to try and take advantage of his favorite rush move, like last year.
  9. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    It's not must-win yet. Is it need to win? Yes. But must-win happens if Dallas loses this game. Six losses will get Dallas in the playoffs; seven might.

Now, we can discuss the improbability of Dallas winning its final seven games or going 6-1 after Philly, but it ain't over til it's over.
  10. tomsanders921

1,066 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    It's a must win. We may not be mathematically eliminated with a loss, but the players will certainly pack it in. It will be a demoralizing feeling for them if they lose and they will know the season has been lost. Not running the table if we lose in this type of must win game.
  11. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I won't keep saying "this" until the we are mathematically eliminated, that is why I haven't said it before this week, and I won't say it after - THIS is the first of quite a few "must" win games, MATHEMATICALLY, because it is a conference game on the road, and could take us to 1 game from .500 with Cleveland up after, instead of 3 games from .500.

Phili is reeling as well.

Many people keep correctly pointing out how this team seems to have difficulty exploiting weaknesses on other teams. Phili's oline is in terrible shape and really struggling. If we can't pressure Vick and cause some sacks and turnovers in this game, then the scheme and coaching HAS to be looked at. I really hope we don't go into a "zone" which we are terrible at and let Vick get his confidence back etc - but we seem do this all the time with rookies and QB's that often have troubles (The Cutler's of the world etc).

Hoping Ware eats up his man tomorrow - and if he doesn't, because he is double teamed every play, then the COACHES/PLAYERS need to take advantage of that! Please stop dropping Ware and Spencer into coverage!

Need another big game using his speed out of B Carter (will miss Lee in this one against Vick/McCoy).

Would be nice to spark a little bit of hope........

I wonder who all the negative Nelly's would rather have, Romo for the next 4-5 years or Vick for the next 4 -5 years. I know which player I would rather have of the two. Both of them under a bunch of pressure tomorrow.
  12. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    The bolded part is a reach.

There is still hope at 3-6 to keep the players from packing it in, especially with the way the schedule sets up for the rest of the season.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    A good team should be able to play well at least 3-4 weeks at a time.

When was the last time we played well 2 weeks in a row?

When was the last time we played well 3 weeks in a row?
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,622 Likes Received
    I think, minus the awful first quarter in DAL against NFYG, we've played really well since the BAL game. We just played teams that were a little better than we are. PHI is not better than we are.

I think we're going to beat them pretty handily this weekend. You never know which team is going to whip which in this matchup, but we're a lot better off right now than PHI is both in terms of our protection, our coverage, and the whole attitude surrounding the team. PHI has a lame duck HC, and they know it. They've got a QB who might be in need of benching, and they're swirling around the tank. We just need to go in there and push on the handle.
  15. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    709 Likes Received

The thing is, that if we lose this game and go 3-6, they won't do that, they have the "easy" part of their schedule and probably end up going 5-2 to finish with the worst record of all, the despicable 8-8, then, they wont fire JG and will have the 14th pick of the draft, therefore staring right at the face of another medicocre season in 2013.
  16. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,212 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Hmm....I haven't really said one way or another what I think about the game tomorrow.

Well, here it is...Vick will look horrendous throwing it up against our secondary. I doubt he reaches 200 yards passing. I think we get a few picks as well. And McCoy...yeah, he used to be able to trample over our ILBs...not anymore. He'll get his, but probably not much over 80 yards or so and a score. Ware and company should collect a few sacks as well, but last time I predicted sacks against a bad offensive line, nothing happened, so who knows...

As for the Cowboys offense...any prediction, evaluation, or analysis is completely and utterly worthless. Might as well consult the magic 8 ball. I have no idea.

I think the Cowboys will win, though....or they should.

I don't know....