1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Slowly but surely we need to get rid of contracts

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    Is Ware worth 13-14 million? Will he be in two years from now?

I mean what is the end game with Ware? Break it down for me so I can see it how you see it.

This guy could get us a first round draft pick perhaps more and frees us room to secure Carter, Lee, and Claiborne.
  2. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Next year will be crucial to see how much he is worth, i dont rule him out just yet. He was a dissapointment this year, but i would like to see him fully healthy again before i make up my mind.
    And i doubt a first pick in this weak draft is worth getting rid of him.
  3. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know...remember the lockout?
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    You don't think the offense is opened up with Witten on the team? What a silly notion. Dez caught 92 passes, which was 10th in the league. Austin was 30th in the league with his 66 receptions. If someone would have stepped up there would have been more receptions for the #3 wide receiver as well. Having Witten on the team does not limit the offense. Quite the opposite. With him roaming the middle it opens up the outside for Dez and Austin.

It is also presumptuous to think that Hanna can step right in and start giving enough production that would help the entire offense get better. He is not ready for that role yet.

I am all for fixing the offensive line. That is the key. Getting rid of Witten to do that doesn't help the team. It is too much of a trade off. They can still find ways to improve the offensive line and keep Witten. Talk about under appreciated if you think replacing Witten's production would be an easy thing to do.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,027 Messages
    769 Likes Received
    I want to use the Batman slap pic right now.

But its probably not allowed anymore.
  6. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,608 Messages
    1,432 Likes Received
    For one let Romo play this season without an extension and see how he performs. Although the line has its problems he makes his share of mistakes as well. If all fails then we move on from him and Garrett and go after a QB in either this years draft or next years.

Ratliff will play his final season this year and then I think he is gone. Signing Melton would make for a good 1-2 punch up the middle.

As far as Ware and Witten are concerned I want those 2 playing for us. You don't just cut a TE who broke the receiving record for a TE and a pass rusher who can produce a double digit sack season hobbled. Yet some will say keep Spencer. I say no, had he played the way he did from the get go he and Ware would have been a scary tandem. With that said we are getting rid of the right pass rusher in Spencer. We can't just cut and trade everyone. The cost of the cap hit and replacement makes absolutely no sense.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    From the Groin in camp Ware was never healthy the whole year and by the last few games SHOULD have been on IR.

So not worried about Ware
  8. Galian Beast

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    Giving Romo an extension allows us to use a lot of his cap space to get rid of these contracts this year. See how he does? Romo has had a 90 QB rating or better every year since he became the starter. He'll do as well as the team allows him to.

Those saying keep Ware, to what end? You think his injury problems are going to get better? Not worse as he gets older? It was the same thing the year before.
  9. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,608 Messages
    1,432 Likes Received
    Restructuring Carr will save us the most. As far as Ware goes, letting him go now would come at a cost. What would be the hit for cutting ties with him? Despite injuries he was still able to be productive and when was the last time he missed a game for us? We need to address other issues before we try to get rid of our sack leader. Ware still has productive seasons under his belt.
  10. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    We should try to create cap space to lure LeBron away from Miami.
  11. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,018 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I completely agree with this except for the fact that if we dont extend him this season and bring his cap number down its going to hurt our ability to improve the team. I really think for the long term though that we need to see if he can change his habits.

Im really scared to pay a 33 year old QB with a history of bad decisions at the worst times the money he is going to demand to extend. We have to quit making these contract mistakes with older declining veterans.

On the flip side, I remember the Hutchinson / leaf / Wright / Testicleverde years, Im in no hurry to go back there.
  12. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,251 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Just like tacos.
  13. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    I agree with you...Ware is one of the tools the Cowboys have that can help fix this team (both in Cap and trade value)...... Wouldn't like it...not one bit.. but know one really like's good players to be traded...Jerry will be forced to do something and soon....the Cowboys are up against the CAP wall.

Patriots traded Richard Seymore for a 1st,,,,,,So why not offer to trade Ware to the Patriots for a 1st round and QB Ryan Mallet. Solve two issue with one trade.
  14. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,278 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    i see you and common sense don't get along.
  15. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,281 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    This is the worst possible idea I've heard, short of cutting everyone, signing all UFA, and trading all our 2013 draft choices for 2014.

Start brand new as an expansion team, minus the league roster draft.
  16. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,018 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    youre right because the way we have been doing the past 16 years has worked really well.
  17. Galian Beast

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    Argumentum ad lapidem
  18. ccb04

ccb04 Active Member

239 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Witten is coming off of a 110 catch season with a 1,039 yard...I'd say his cost/production is still quite high. Hanna has had some solid catches and I love his athleticism, but he's doing so while guys like Witten, Dez, etc... occupy the defenses focus. It's a different story to be 'the guy' at a position.

Ware played hurt last year period...and still produced what amounts to a very good season for many players with 11.5 sacks & 5 forced fumbles. And of course he had 19.5 sacks in 2011.

By contrast...Jason Pierre-Paul recorded 6.5 sacks last season, with no sacks over the last 7 games.

The Cowboys have handed out some bad long-term deals...but Ware & Witten weren't among those. Guys like Rat, Austin, etc. are far greater problems in terms of cost vs. production.
  19. Galian Beast

9,137 Messages
    1,356 Likes Received
    If we could get similar production that guys like Fasano and Bennett are getting in Miami and New York from Hanna, the benefits of additional resources spent else where would more than make up the difference.

No one is saying they aren't still productive, rather its prudent to get value out of them if we can, while we still can.
  20. ccb04

ccb04 Active Member

239 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    GB...I don't completely disagree with the premise of what you're saying. Get something for your most valuable assets while you can. But I would be more inclined to do so if they decided to blow it up & completely rebuild. If that's not the case then they'd simply be creating more holes and would have to spend some of those additional resources they obtained to fill them. And in this case, we're talking about replacing 2 HOF caliber players...not just 'good' players, but 'great' one's. As you know, it's quite hard to find elite pass rushers for instance.

They would have to definitively define what direction they wanted to go before trading away those types of players IMO.