1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Smallville ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by mr.jameswoods, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mr.jameswoods

mr.jameswoods Active Member

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    DallasEast

Do you watch Smallville? What's your take on the current season. I'm really liking what I've seen thus far. I like the Bizarro and the new Supergirl. It's going to get really interesting.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,219 Messages
    1,167 Likes Received
    I love that show. It provides a good take on Superman's background and the growth of Lex Luthor. Plus every female that comes on the show is purdy.

Thursday night is really the only night where I have to watch TV other than Cowboy's games. Smallville and Supernatural on the CW and The Office, 30 Rock and Scrubs(when it is on) on NBC.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    The only show I care about on Thursday is CSI. My fav nights are Monday and Tuesday (Prison Break, Bones and House).
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,057 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    I just started watching Bones and House. Love it.

Still love SVU.

Grey's Anatomy is my show.

Shark, Cold Case, and Without a Trace are shows I try to catch, too.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    We've watched Bones and House from the beginning. I love House's attitude. :D
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,265 Messages
    1,780 Likes Received
    Yes, I do and I've loved every season thus far. It's an interesting twist to the character's story, focusing on this "Superboy" years from a very humanlike perspective. All the teenage angst involving first love, peer rivalry, etc., has been mixed in well. The creators and writers have done a great job of spitting out good to great episodes each season.

I was hyped to see the introduction of Bizarro during last season's cliffhanger, but I have been blown away with Kara's insertion into the series. The sub-plot warning made by Kal-El's Fortress of Solitude/Jor-El about Kara will keep us guessing this season.

What has amazed me the most about the show is how well they have slowly integrated the special effects. Each season has been a showcase of Kal-El's super strength or x-ray vision or heat vision, etc., etc. This is the season where I fully expect that he will be allowed to finally fly. Another thing about the special effects is that they aren't too flashy, but look so natural for the character. The people behind Smallville could teach a thing or two to the Superman Returns folks, imho.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Smallville is one of my favorite shows.

The only thing I don't like about it is Lana Lang. That story is OLD and played out. They seriously need to remove her from the show so they can concentrate on Clark, Lex, and Lois.
  8. HTownCowboysFan

HTownCowboysFan New Member

1,912 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Meh...but I'm not really a "Superman Guy." Hell, he's not even Superman yet, and just about Superman's entire supporting cast are already on the scene!

I think the portrayal of Lex is the best I've scene to date, I will say.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Superman > Batman
  10. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Joseephus

Do you watch Supernatural too? I never watched that show but I heard great things about it. So I bought Season 1 and it was so good, I bought Season 2. I'm currently watching the first episodes of Season 2 and I'm really liking it.
  11. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Maybe you can help me answer this question but I thought he flew in a previous episode in which he is wearing the black shirt? Nonetheless, I like how they have delayed his flight. It's probably going to be a metaphor for the end of the series as he finally takes flight. I like that idea. I loved Braniac. I really missed Braniac last season and the depiction of Lex is genius. You still believe there is some good in him.

Smallville really filled in the best part of the original Superman the motion picture with Christopher Reeve. I loved the scenes when he was a teenager. Those scenes were the best part of that movie. (Kicking the football) I feel like this series expands on that.

The only problem I have with the show is Lois Lane's character. I love the fact that she is a sexpot but let's get real. Lois is supposed to be cute but not a Barbie Doll. And even with her character evolving, she is still very much a glorified Barbie. She is not supposed to look like she could be in Playboy. She is supposed to be the hot girl next door. I like to stare at her though. :)
  12. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The problem with Batman is that his medium has been exhausted to death. There are so many more volumes of the WB animated series than the Superman ones. There was the popular 60's show and then there are 5 movies made about him. I also feel that that writers have been more creative with him because he is human and have explored his dark side and his heroic side. However, the same can't be said of Superman. Sure, there has been a lot of published Superman material too but it's relatively the same themes. The character has never really been explored before. They just focus on his powers and his dual identity. They have never really worked with the character or story and taken a different approach. Smallville was really the first show to take a different approach with Superman. That's why Smallville is so exciting. I've been following Superman for a while and have read his comics for a while and I still felt like I really only got a superficial understanding of the character. That's changed with Smallville. It's the first time a human version of Superman has been expressed. Sure, Chris Reeve was a great actor but the character he played was more of ideal symbol than a character that people could really empathize with.
  13. joseephuss

21,219 Messages
    1,167 Likes Received
    I do. I really like it. The interaction of the two brothers is very good. The story lines are good. They aren't afraid to make fun of themselves. It is just well done and interesting stuff. I finally got to watch the season 3 premier last night off of my DVR and thought it was great.
  14. joseephuss

21,219 Messages
    1,167 Likes Received
    In one of the very early episodes Clark woke up from a dream hovering above his bed. The only other time he flew was when he was his alter ego Kal El influenced by his father. That is when he is wearing the black shirt. That alter ego is seated in his subconscious I believe. Clark on the show has a slight fear of heights, so that is probably why his character hasn't flown yet. I agree that he probably won't fly until the very end of the series once he is ready to take off and truly become Superman.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Supernatural kicks arse. I love that show too.

I watch way too much TV.

Clark also said that he "felt" like he was flying when he saved Lana from the Tornado (back when the Lana storyline didn't suck).
  16. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,334 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I like Supergirl a lot better then Bizarro if you know what I mean. ;)

I predict that the Lana in this weeks episode is a clone created by Lex to figure out Clark's secret. He has to still have her DNA that he used to clone her the first time.
  17. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So what happened to the original Lana if this one is the clone?
  18. mr.jameswoods

3,678 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Much respect, I love that show. You know what I love about is that it's like watching a quality horror film every week. The episodes in Supernatural are by far better than the plots in newly released horror films. The plots are actually interesting and not just ghorry or scary for the sake of being so. I feel like each episode is that good and creepy. I don't scare easily but some of the episodes can get to you like the one with Bloody Mary in season one. And what's cool is that you have the continuous plot as well much like the alien conspiracy plot in X-Files.

To people who haven't seen Supernatural, I would describe it like this...the Horror version of the X-Files. You have two brothers who were taught by their father to hunt ghosts, demons, vampires and other paranormal creatures. They were raised to do that since they were children and they ride accross the country doing that. But there is also a plot that involves their family and a certain demon. The writing is solid and there is humor present. I recommend it. Check it out
  19. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,334 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    She is either dead or remains where she was when Lex found her.
  20. joseephuss

21,219 Messages
    1,167 Likes Received
    If she is a clone, she seems to know some of Clark's secrets. A clone would be there to learn those secrets, not already know some of them.