1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Smartphone Questions

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by AmarilloCowboyFan, Jun 25, 2009.

1. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Active Member

2,407 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I'm upgrading to a smartphone this weekend but haven't quite decided on what to get. I have narrowed it down to one of 3 choices. I am with AT&T so...

iPhone 3G S
    Samsung Epix
    Samsung Jack

The two Samsungs because they are Windows based, which I would prefer, however the iPhone has it's obvious advantages.

I'm curious if people here have any of these and can give a few reasons for or against any of them.

Thanks.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Step away from the drugs! :laugh2:
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    Pretty obvious answer here.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,735 Likes Received
    I'm with ATT and I have a Blackberry...

I love my Blackberry.

But I wouldn't sneeze on the new iPhones. There were a couple features they didn't have when I was getting a new phone that they now have.
  5. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,635 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    iphone is obviously the best choice, just make sure you don't drop it.

...and be ready to throw down $35/month for the required data plan.
  6. theogt

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    When I had a samsung blackjack I think was paying something like 40-50 per month for the data plan. The iphone was a huge discount when it first came at $20 per month. I thought they were currently $25.
  7. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just don't buy the Blackberry Storm, it is a piece of junk.

So the iPhone Data Plan is $20?
  8. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've got the blackberry curve. I just think the browser kind of stinks. I have opera mini browser too, but that is kind of heavy and I hate the way you enter data into fields using opera mini. (opening an entire text box)
  9. Sam I Am

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    From what I heard, an iPhone will cost $100+ a month. My wife and I have T-Mobile. I have the blackberry she has a sidekick. We both have data plans and we pay after taxes and stuff about $79/mo. for both. Although Tmobile services in NY isn't all that. It was far better in Dallas.
  10. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,735 Likes Received
    I've got the Pearl. I don't know what browser I use. Just whatever came with the phone.

I pay about 129/mo. Unlimited voice/data...plus taxes, it gets a little 'spensive.

I wanted the Blackberry Bold, but it wasn't out when I got my phone. So now I'm just work this thing into the ground.
  11. theogt

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    You pay $80 total per month for two cell phones both with data plans?

I call BS. That has to be $80 per phone. We have two iPhones with data, etc., and we pay about $150 per month total.
  12. AmarilloCowboyFan

2,407 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info.

It looks like the Data Plan for the iPhone is $30 then you have to get the text plan for another $20 which seems a bit ridiculous.

One of the main reasons I was going for Windows based is to be able to sync with our Exchange server at work. iPhone may be able to sync to outlook on the desktop, I'm not sure.
  13. dcdallaschick

dcdallaschick Member

310 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    My husband and I both have iPhones and pay about $140 a month (includes both phones/data plans/taxes and whatever). The App Store/web browser/email setup, plus the fact that the data plan is relatively cheap for an unlimited use plan made it a no-brainer for us compared to anything else out there (aside from the freakin' cool factor... ha-ha).

Don't worry about using an iPhone with Windows. Mine syncs to a Mac, my husband's syncs to Windows, and there haven't been any issues either way. iPhone OS has worked with Exchange since the 2.0 release.
  14. AmarilloCowboyFan

2,407 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Are they not very durable?
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You can sync it with Exchange. We have a lot of users where I work that have done it.
  16. dcdallaschick

dcdallaschick Member

310 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I still have original first-gen iPhone I got at launch day. It's never spent one second in any kind of case/holder, and aside from a couple of dings in the metal frame from serious sidewalk drops, it looks good as new (glass is perfect) and works great--even after floating around in a purse with my keys, carried in a pocket, flung onto the car seat, whatever.

They're not dainty. You wouldn't throw anything you paid that much for around carelessly, but they're no more fragile than other phones/tech gadgets.
  17. theogt

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    That's for unlimited texting. For 200 texts it's $5 extra, so a total of $35.

I'm not sure why people text anymore when most people have e-mail on their phones.
  18. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    They aren't water proof though. One of our users was fishing with his kids and dropped his in to the lake. I asked him they had an app for that? :laugh2:
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,858 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    iPhone will sync with Exchange...

It's the Blackberry that you have to buy a $3,000 app to make sync with Exchange...
  20. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I would get the new iphone. I want to upgrade the one I have to the new one. :D

I pay 100$ a month for my phone.

Data plan is more than 25$ now.