1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

`SNL' debuts with Fey as Palin, Phelps as host

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 14, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,320 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer
    Sun Sep 14, 7:40 AM ET

NEW YORK - Live from New York ... it's Tina Fey as Gov. Sarah Palin.

ADVERTISEMENT

After wild conjecture over whom would play Sen. John McCain's running mate on "Saturday Night Live," Fey returned to her old show for an opening sketch featuring her and Fey's former "Weekend Update" co-host Amy Poehler as Sen. Hillary Clinton.

The NBC comedy show's season premiere opened Saturday with a "nonpartisan message" where the two pleaded for an end to sexism in the presidential campaigns — which have seen Palin enjoy sudden popularity after Clinton's loss to Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination.

"I didn't want a woman to be president, I wanted to be president," said Poehler, reprising her caricature of Clinton.

Many have said Fey bears a resemblance to Palin, a comparison alluded to in the sketch. A frustrated Clinton eventually broke down, complaining about Palin's ease of ascendance and her "Tina Fey glasses."

A few digs were made about Palin being less experienced than Clinton. As Poehler's Clinton bragged about her foreign policy experience, Fey's Alaskan governor exclaimed: "I can see Russia from my house!"

When Poehler said she disagreed with the Bush Doctrine, Fey's Palin acknowledged, "I don't know what that means" — a reference to Palin's apparent confusion on the subject in her first major interview earlier this week on ABC.

Poehler wrapped up the sketch: "In conclusion, I invite the media to grow a pair. And if you can't, I will lend you mine."

"SNL" returned early this fall for its 34th season in part to capitalize on the presidential campaign. The show has historically had particular relevance in its political parodies.

Last season, a sketch making fun of the media's fawning over Obama was seen as causing the press to rethink its coverage. In 2000, Darrell Hammond's impression of Al Gore in the debates made the phrase "lock box" ubiquitous.

This year's season debut was expected to dive even further into politics because of a planned appearance from Obama. But the Senator canceled his cameo early Saturday. His campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Obama decided it was no longer appropriate because of the devastation caused by Hurricane Ike.

Olympic swimming champion Michael Phelps was the host. Phelps, who won eight gold medals at last month's Beijing Olympics, said in his opening monologue: "This seriously is like the ninth best moment of my life."

Phelps' mother, Debbie, got in on the joke from the audience, as did William Shatner, who made an irreverent cameo.

The star swimmer stumbled over a number of lines, but also performed in a reprise of a sketch another athletic "SNL" host, Peyton Manning, played last season. As he did a similarly football-themed sketch, cast member Will Forte played a swimming coach trying to rally a despondent swim team in a locker room.

As team captain "Michael Phillips," Phelps said: "I just don't think I'm cut out for this whole swimming thing."

___

[IMG]

In this photo provided by NBC, actress Tina Fey, left, plays Governor Sarah Palin, and actress Amy Poehler plays Senator Hillary Clinton on 'Saturday Night Live' Saturday, Sept. 13, 2008 in New York.(AP Photo/Dana Edelson, NBCU Photo Bank)
  2. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,007 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    They got Palin look down pat.

Hillary was not even close. She looked like a mannequin with no eyebrows.
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought it was pretty funny, and I thought that Tina (that's who did Palin, right?) did a great job, especially with the vocal inflection, accent, and facial gestures Palin tends to make. And, I took it as playing on the stereotypes out there about the two of them. I certainly think the crowd had a different opinion, as I could almost hear them standing in ovation when they'd poke a jab at Palin, with muted chuckles when fun was poked at Clinton.
  4. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
  5. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It had me laughing, Tina had Palin down.
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Man she was perfect.

Had her voice down and everything.
  7. MrMom

MrMom Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    30 Likes Received
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    accent might have been a bit too Fargoish but still pretty good
  9. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Palin responded to the skit today saying she found it extremely funny...

She capped it off by saying she was honored to be portrayed by Tina Fey as she finds her funny and she dressed up like her for Halloween one year...

They do have a strong resemblance... both Fey and Julia Louis-Dreyfus...
  10. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Fey is the hottest of them all :D
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,658 Messages
    2,676 Likes Received
    More Fey than Julia IMO.
  12. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    about believing that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth together at one time, and that time was only about 6K years ago.....does she really believe that?
  13. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,601 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Does it matter? No, not it doesn't, it's a belief in a theory just like any other theory about the age of the planet.

Has no bearing on her politics a part from the fact she believes in a sovereign God and a savior in Christ, Obama pays lip service to as much as well.
  14. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,915 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    it matters to me, but not for reasons you'll expect. In a Psychoanalytical case conceptualization mode right now.
  15. Achozen

Achozen Sounds From The Lair

5,076 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But it does.

She said that the war in Iraq is a task from god. Come on now, that's just ridiculous.
  16. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,556 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    She never made such a statement.

She said, pray that we're on God's side in this war - a line that is largely copped from a speech by Abraham Lincoln.

EDIT: Below is the exact quote:

"Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Not once does she state the war is a task from a God.
  17. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,601 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Have you heard of Rev. Jeremiah Wright? Far more frightening and offensive than anything Palin could possibly utter.
  18. Achozen

5,076 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :confused:
  19. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Staff Member

14,556 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    You must read the entire quote in context. Essentially, she's saying, pray that our leaders are sending our soldiers out on a task that is from God.

There's a wide discrepancy between your initial implication of what she said and what she actually said.

In other words, saying that I'm praying for a million dollars is markedly different from saying that I have a million dollars. Right?
  20. Achozen

5,076 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ofcourse, Jeremiah Wright is an idiot. He's not running for office though so, I'm not really concerned with him.