1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Snyder Says Redskins name will never change

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by sbark, May 11, 2013.

1. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,219 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Yep...no matter how much some may want to equate "Redskin" with offensive racial slurs like the "N word", they are apples and oranges. "But it identifies a race by the color of their skin!!" seems to be the default battle cry...like if you can't actually bring anything historically and socially factual to the table, you at least always have that to fall back on.

Quick question for anyone who wants to answer: As a black man, should I be more offended being called "Black", or being called "African American" when none of my ancestors came from Africa, and it's only assumed they did because of my skin color?
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,512 Messages
    6,259 Likes Received
    I'm sure you do.

It's not calling someone 'white' or 'black'. It's 'red-skin'. White-skin or black-skin would be similarly offensive, yes.

However you prefer to rationalize it, the fact is that if people are offended by a term it is, by definition, offensive. Now, some people are going to be offended by any term, so it's a sliding scale. You'd probably have to agree that your team name is considered the most offensive name in the NFL, and by a wide margin. If that's ok with you, then there's not really much to talk about. But your carefully articulated argument to the contrary doesn't disprove the basic fact that many native Americans--and many Americans of other descent--find your team name offensive. They may not be a majority, but that doesn't mean that the offense is necessarily all in their heads.
  3. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
  4. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,447 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Schooled!! :bow:
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    Regardless of what anyone says, that name will 100% for sure change some day.
    It may or may not be while Danny boy is owner, but it will have to go (for right or wrong) one of these days.

This is not a statement on what the term means or it's intent. It's more of a statement of the world we live in now and in the future.
  6. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

993 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I don't know why I didn't see this earlier. It's interesting you bring up the Native American man on the helmet. A Native American Chief actually petitioned the team to have that logo replace the red R. The team liked the idea and asked this chief for a number of potential improvements, and the current helmet logo was chosen.

I guess no one told him he was supposed to be offended. :)

http://helenair.com/news/tribal-leader-rubbed-elbows-with-elite/article_cdd827b1-877b-5c63-b8fb-0a9d91d03383.html

I hope no one is offended that his Indian name is "Blackie", God forbid someone gets their feelings hurt about a name he was proud of.
  7. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    They shouldnt change it, people will always find a reason to be offended.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    Good for him. Glad to hear it.

The bottom line is you'd have to be completely brain dead to think they decided to name themselves a negative term. Obviously that wasn't the intent. It's the reverse in fact. To honor.

Those that are offended by it need to deal with it. That's life. Your offense offends me.

They are the Washington Redskins. Our rival. Today's PC society of whiny victims shouldn't be allowed to change that.
  9. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,503 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    She should probably get over herself, I'm offended that she's ignorant and offended by this..... and that she probably votes.
    I think the debate is really really ridiculous....HOWEVER....if it causes a ton of pain to that franchise I'm all for it!
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    You missed the point entirely. How or why it was chosen wasn't what I was going for. The fact it was chosen to be a Native American WITHOUT face paint is evidence that nobody thinks of the term as referring to face paint.

The origin of the word is meaningless because nobody associates it with face paint on any sort of scale. I would say the only one's who do are either Native American historians (provided thats even the true origin of it) or Redskin fans who are trying to find some sort of justification for the name. I'd wager the only reason you can even cite the face paint aspect is because you googled the origin of the term.

It is what it is. Personally you'd be better off just saying that you don't think it's offensive instead of trying to argue that the implied use today is the exact same as it was when it was first coined.
  11. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,911 Messages
    454 Likes Received
  12. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

948 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    I don't want them to change their name. They are our biggest rival, and granted that on the football field I wish for them to be miserable, I don't want them to be miserable off of the field.

Even though it might be derogatory in a field of context, I view it as an honoring of the indigenous people of the land before D.C was constructed.

If we want to pick apart and analyze team names here we can do that too many teams. Ok the Raiders? Who pillaged, raped, caused chaos, and were seen as an immoral group of rebels? America is too nit picky about a lot of things now. As a country we are gaining a lot of headway into equality for all people, which I agree with. However let us not over analyze and turn everything into a racial debate in the process.
  13. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,859 Messages
    592 Likes Received

But that may be simply because people have become accustomed to it over time, though.

If there were a sports team that were called the "(N word)s" and had been around for decades, chances are people wouldn't consider the N word offensive any longer either.

I guess the reasoning can go both ways.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    Wouldn't that be awful if we changed people's perception of a once highly offensive term? We'd have to find something else to be offended about.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    look at all the sound and fury directed at something of so little importance.

Political Correctness

That is all it is and nothing else.
  16. irishline

irishline Member

199 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    The origins of the "N word" were not meant to be racist or offensive either. The word was created in 1574 as a mixture of French and Spanish words to simply mean someone was "dark skinned". Oxford English Reference edition stated the word "was not always considered derogatory, because it then denoted "black-skinned", a common Anglophone usage." Other references (such as linked below) state similar beginnings for the phrase.

Simply put, to base current meaning of a word off of its origin is absolutely meaningless.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/40/messages/250.html

Additionally if you search the term "Redskins definition", every major reference there lists the word as offensive. Does this mean all the people who write or follow these references (including Oxford which you cited) are "ignorant of it's meaning or easily offended"?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Redskins
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redskin
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=redskin
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/redskin
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redskin

While I personally do not think the Redskin name should be changed, I find your constant blind backing of the word (without any regard to what it may or may not mean to someone I clearly see you have no understanding of, or real desire to) to be quite disturbing.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    you spent all this time on something of so little importance. Why don't you think about that?
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,512 Messages
    6,259 Likes Received
    FWIW, irishline, I thought yours was a thorough and intelligent post. burmafrd's dismissing it rather than engaging it should tell you something, at any rate.
  19. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received

As society changes "Cowboys" could be considered as bad next, what then?

At this rate every name in the League could be questioned at some time in History it has and will.

It's ridiculous to say the least, Redskins means Pride among the Natives themselves, even if it wasn't the majority (which it is) in your estimation we should strip that pride away like we did the Native American land and their legacy.

Concluding that the exact same delusional thoughts on this issue of banning a respectable and prideful name of a deserving people, are the only ones urinating on themselves as their agenda is turning a faint yellow.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,733 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Good for Little Dan, stand up for your team and your company. I'd do the same. I grew up loving the Cleveland Indians and its not much different.