1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So glad the Skins passed on Blaine Gabbert

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by DFWJC, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,525 Messages
    2,396 Likes Received
    I was one of those in the Blaine Gabbert camp going into the draft. So when he was suprisingly still available when Washington was preparing to pick in the 10th slot, I was bummed out.

Then, in typical Washington bone-head fashion, they passed up the gift and traded the pick to Jacksonville!
    To their credit, they did get good trade value--but I'm shocked they passed up a chance for a franchise QB.

This is a great situation for Gabbert. Garrard is a solid pro who is a great teammate with a good attitude and work ethic.

By all accounts Gabbert is just flat out blowing peolle away with his arm strngth, mobilty and speed.

He could be the guy by next year.

Here's one article

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-gabbert-shows-off-his-skills-in-jaguars-camp-

partial...

Seeing Gabbert in person has only reinforced Jacksonville's decision. After not being able to get on the field for three months because of the NFL lockout, Gabbert needed just a few days to dazzle coaches, teammates, front office personnel and fans.

Back-shoulder throws, perfectly placed seam passes and scrambling runs have been among Gabbert's highlights.

"He's got a great skill set in terms of arm and size and speed, those things," coach Jack Del Rio said Tuesday. "We think he's got a bright upside. He's got a lot of work to do. He's doing some things now off natural ability, being able to throw the ball, that will only get better.

"He's going to get experience, he's going to get time, and at some point, he's going to be a really good player. I think we can all see that."
  2. DFWJC

23,525 Messages
    2,396 Likes Received
    Blaine, that is.
  3. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,463 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    Can we wait a year or so on this and then throw it in the Redskin fan's faces.
    or
    Are you getting an early jump on it.

Who runs the Redskins scouting department??? Dexter Manley?
  4. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,818 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    No,No,No,

Dexter represents the Skins at those charity events reading books to the little ones...
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    It'll really suck if they end up with that #1 next year.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I still can't believe they passed on him. They had to have loved Ponder and thought he'd still be there... Or something.
  7. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,916 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    They are the redskins, they get Luck he busts.
  8. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,180 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I'd be suprised if the Redskins defense didn't bounce back to atleast the top half of the league. Offense is another matter. If they actually trout out John Beck for 16 games, they could go 4-12 or worse, where I think with Rex Grossman, they can go anywhere between 6-10 and 8-8 which keeps them away from Andrew Luck and likely Landry Jones. Just got a hunch that Barkley will return for his senior year.
  9. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gabbert is going to be a good QB... I still like Cam Newton.
  10. LifetimeBoysFan

LifetimeBoysFan Member

148 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was shocked they let him slide. Shannahan must have an absolute chub for some reason on John Beck. I don't get it at all. So much so that Grossman is starting ahead of him. I can't figure that front office at all. They either go with retreads past their prime, or a never was and hope they are reborn into something elite. It's all good with me though. Keep up the great work Skins. We'll never tire of watching you fail and taking you to the woodshed. :dissskin:
  11. DFWJC

23,525 Messages
    2,396 Likes Received
    Maybe they both can do well;)

Anyway, Ryan Mallett looked pretty impressive to yesterday. Typical Patriots just got anther QB they deal if they want to in 2-3 years...or let him take over later on..
  12. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,242 Messages
    12 Likes Received

Gabbert will be the answer to a trivia question in 10 years....Mallett will be a household name, a legend...Meanwhile Belichick is re-affirmed as a genius when in reality he just saw the obvious, Mallett was clearly the best overall available qb in the draft.
    Now Jerry could have just as easily had the heir for Romo and a potential all-pro in waiting but instead he passed, why? The Arkansas connect/criticism for fans/media? the rumors? Of all people Jerry knew the skills the young man has.
    I swear watching Mallett last night made me sick, already "ahead of the curve' they're saying....UGHHH!
  13. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Jerry didnt pick mallett cause his is All-In with Romo. If you pick Mallett you might mess up Romo's confidence.
  14. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,242 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Lol, I bet he has Brady's attention already. :)

If that's true tho, it's really dumb.
  15. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to compare the players the Skins got for trading that pick (Kerrigan, Helu, Hankerson, Paul and a few others) to Gabbert in a couple years + whatever QB they decide to draft (Luck, Barkley, Jones), to see if it was worth it.
  16. DFWJC

23,525 Messages
    2,396 Likes Received
    Apples and apples are what they obtain from this draft vs what they gave up. Next year was not part of the trade is is only what-if.

Also, here are the players involved:
    Jacksonville gets Gabbert and gives up the 16th and 49th pick

Washington takes those picks (and their own 144th..Shilou Keo) and turns them into: Kerrigan, Hankerson, Helu, Gomez, Robinson

And yes, they did make a decent trade....espcailly if they did like Gabbert that much.

It was just interesting that they passed up a shot at a franchise QB.
    Like you said, maybe they'll end up with one next season, but that was not a part of the trade.
  17. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They passed on a QB because they had an old team, had holes all over the place, and were in dire need of an influx of youth.

A young QB wouldn't do the skins any good, with what they would have had around him. It's a more patient approach they're taking I think.

People look at Ryan, Sanchez etc.., but those QBs went to good teams/ stable organizations.

The only downside I can see for not drafting a QB, is being 1 year down on grooming a rookie. To me, it appears like they have confidence in what they already have for this year - as crazy as it sounds.

Maybe Shanahan is nuts, we'll see when the games start.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Cam Newton looked really good in his debut. Really good pocket presence and he made some throws look easy downfield. I can't believe they even started Jimmy Clausen. It's not even close.

As for the other QBs...Ryan Mallett looks like the future of the New England Patriots. Whenever Brady hangs them up, Mallett will be ready. He looked like a veteran out there.

As for Gabbert he looked alright, he just needs to know that people in the NFL are open even when they don't look like it. He held the ball a little long but I think he'll be fine.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,038 Messages
    2,271 Likes Received
    I think Ryan Mallett has been the most impressive Rookie QB so far.

I liked pretty much all of the QB's in this years class and it looks like all of them are showing signs of promise early on.

Teams really over thought the whole Mallett thing though and now the Patriots have a guy that looks like a good one to replace Brady whenever that day comes.
  20. DFWJC

23,525 Messages
    2,396 Likes Received
    I'll say...