1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So jealous of Cleveland's offensive line

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by gimmesix, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,143 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    I'm not sure you know what you're looking at.

Last time I looked at the standings they are 2-8. What's so confusing???
  2. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,143 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Three more wins and a chance for a division lead with 3/5 of the oline missing it's starters.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,118 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received
    The Cowboys are still in contention with their OL can't say the same for Cleveland and their OL. You think all the Cowboys issues are due to their OL? There's other teams in the NFL that are in contention including the Packers that have a worse OL than the Cowboys. The Steelers won a SB in 08 with an OL that helped get Roethlisbetger sacked 46 times and carted off the field once.

The Cowboys OL may not be very good but since 08 they've won 19 more games than Cleveland who's been one of the worst teams in the league over the past 5 years. The Cowboys haven't gone anywhere because of the coaching. The team looks unprepared practically every week. You have players who don't even know when to be on the field in critical situations. Go back and look at all the confusion on our defense on Weeden's last minute TD pass to Watson in regulation.

We've been seeing that kind of confusion on offense and defense for the past 2 seasons under Garrett and Ryan. Players don't know where to lineup or when to be on the field and we see the same stupid penalties every week. The Cowboys were damn lucky to pull that game out Sunday it's a game they should have lost. Had they been playing a good team they would have gotten blown out.
  4. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

659 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    That's not what he said at all, and not what I read. Also I wish we would realize on this board that what people type is usually what they mean and not to put words into others mouths.
  5. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received

omg, that would be totally awesome!!!! too bad your wish will never come true....
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    I looked and Cleveland and laughed.

THIS is what our fans.media want. A team heavily invested along the OL who ignored quality skill position players.

By the time they find a QB and some WRs who can actually play Trent Richardson will be worn to a nub.

Joe Thomas is arguably the best OL in football the last 5 years. They've won 20 games in the last 4 plus seasons....

Our fans freak out of we go 9-7. In Cleveland that would be champagne-worthy.

Until they figure out a way to get Joe Thomas scoring touchdowns that team will suck.
  7. LifetimeBoysFan

LifetimeBoysFan Member

148 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do we have to say it? Wonder if we could have kept our talent at the skills position and still maybe taken a lineman or two with our picks traded for Roy Nancy Williams? :)
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    typical from one of those that love our O line as it is
  9. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    another one who thinks our O line is just fine
  10. burmafrd

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    wow amazing how many here see no problem with our O line
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    The Roy Williams trade failed because Roy Williams failed.

Of those 3 picks the Lions found 1 NFL player, TE Pettigrew. The Lions aren't exactly recounting how they got the Herschel Walker deal in their favor.

The Cowboys are very unlikely to take a TE there(i hope anyway).

So would they have went with Alex Mack at OC? Michael Oher at RT? Vontae Davis at CB? Clay Matthews at LB? OR HAKEEM NICKS at WR>

We'll probably never really know.

Would I LOVE to go back and take Oher? ABSOLFRICKENLUTELY.

But I'd also trade as many of those picks after r1 as I could to get more picks in future years because that draft class was dreadful.

That r1 pick hurts badly but they can keep the r3 and r6 picks as we ended up with plenty of those picks and couldn't draft anyone who could play a lick.
  12. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,741 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    It makes plenty of sense to keep drafting skill position players, even when our OL can't block well enough to open holes in the running game or pass protect well enough to get them the ball!

Even though we are a decent OL from being a really good team, as long as we are a 9-7, 8-8 team, why bother drafting OLinemen.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    we should draft a first round OL every year.

if we had followed tyron smith with david decastro we'd be headed to the super bowl right now.
  14. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,118 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received

I said the Cowboys OL isn't very good I've been saying that all year but what's holding the team back the most is the coaching. The Cowboys are a talented team that has issues on the OL like a lot of other talented teams that are in contention.
  15. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    you cant really say that. how is pitt doing with decastro? oh, thats right....

and I'm not claiming we would be in the same boat, its just that you cant predict anything in regards to one player
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,262 Messages
    5,515 Likes Received
    We drafted Tyron Smith.

What is your point?

And where is this offense that is scoring touchdowns? It certainly has not been in Dallas behind this line and it's "quality skill position players".

Take a look at San Francisco. They have been committed to building that line for at least two if not three drafts. Now you see the results.

I have an overused phrase around here that I am sure you can understand when it comes to building a line:

"It's a process".

Nobody is suggesting that you have five Pro Bowl players.

But you need at least one elite tackle (could have that), a quality starter at least at one of the four others and try your best with the remaining three, but make sure you have sound, scheme savvy players there.

We have had none of these this year. None. And unfortunately that includes Tyron. Our starters were not set. Our depth was atrocious even to begin with.

Our offseason approach to the line was a gross miscalculation from free agency to the draft.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    After week 11 where we pooped our pants upfront and allowed 7 sacks football outsiders ranks us 14th in pass protection. We are decidedly worse in run protection at 23rd.

But the sad fact is there are much worse OLs then even our crappy unit. Injuries take its toll and tear apart OLs every season. We saw that in a major way on Sunday. 3 guys taking their first snaps at those positions in live NFL games.

I think our top priority come this off-season is an RT. Sadly, fans on these boards who have followed sheepishly behind a goofball media will decry that we should then draft an OG in round 2 and a center in round 3. Plus, by gosh, we better add another OG as the top free agent priority. I mean we are simply golden at EVERY other position on the field and just building that OL is gonna give us them there rootin tootin championships for sure buddy so get er dun.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    that was sarcasm on my part....

i thought my previous 1000 posts would attest to that:)
  19. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol, I should have paid attention to who I was responding to!!
  20. Trendnet

Trendnet Active Member

733 Messages
    35 Likes Received

Speaking of post counts, I'm just replying because I don't want 666 as my count.