1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So Romo called the play to o-tree on 3rd and 1?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MaineBoy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Member

426 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Sorry I can't get link to paste with iPad but in newszone broadus is reporting that Romo had option for a running play or pass play and checked off in to a pass play. Then Romo locked on to the low percentage throw to o- tree instead of hitting Austin dragging over the middle for the easy first down ? I wanted Red dead because of that call and it turned out to be Romo ???!!!!

I've had sympathy for Romo till this point with our o-line and dumb receivers. But to have a veteran quarterback make that decision in that situation makes Romo a huge part of the problem. Moronic idiot decision that probably cost us the game.
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Ivy league needs to use his brilliant mind and call ONE play in that situation. Call the one play that will work!
  3. Airbag

Airbag Active Member Zone Supporter

161 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    That's a great idea. He should do that every play. Just call the one play that will work.
    This coaching stuff seems pretty simple when you break it down.
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,305 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    yeah we need to take that option away from romo. All the blame on garrett but lets not forget romo chooses between the two plays. Romo is a qb and he wants to throw throw throw. Call one or 2 run plays in that situation. Take the pass out of his hands.
  5. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    it's over, move on to the Falcons & hope you get a different QB/Coach and the same defense for the rest of the season
  6. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Exactly. Its a crucial 3rd and 1. Any play that involves Ogletree is beyond stupid.
    I understand the 2 calls in the huddle, but when its such a vital yard ivy league should be wearing the big boy pants.
  7. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,231 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    It's called situational football. Something apparantly alien to Jason and Tony. The gunslinger mentality backfired this time.
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,243 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    Again, there is nothing wrong with passing on 3rd and 1...there were plenty of guys in the pattern, and I'm sure at least someone ran a 1-2 yard pattern...Romo is the one who saw man-press coverage with Prince and decided without looking anywhere else to throw to the end zone. The calls from the sideline don't dictate where the QB decides to look and throw. They are plays designed to get the yardage needed. After that, it is up to the players on the field.
  9. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,080 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    Is that the play where Romo threw it in the endzone and Ogletree dropped it?

If he would of hit Austin for the 1st down and still lost people would be saying "If he would of thrown to Ogletree in the endzone we could of won, poor decision by Romo!!"
  10. ZBTHorton

ZBTHorton New Member

83 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure when two plays are sent in Romo decides which play to run based off what the defense shows him, it's not like they send in two plays and he flips a coin in the huddle or something.
  11. CutMeMick

CutMeMick Member

253 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    If you can't get that one crucial yard on that play, you don't deserve to win.
    The pass was just another indication of how weak, in mind & body, this Cowboys team is.
  12. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,459 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Pretty sure Ogletree was involved in our win Week 1 against the Giants. Sure was "stupid" using him then. :rolleyes:
  13. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You know why he went to KO? Because KO was the first read, Miles Austin was way down the line. If you notice, like I stated in another thread, the WR right to the left of KO draws the safety over to the middle. Romo also looks over the middle to draw the safety away from KO.

KO was the very first option in the play. They got the single man coverage and Romo put the ball in a pretty good place, i.e. where KO could get a hand on it. But KO can't beat my grandmother in single coverage, besides the fact the CB played it pretty well.

The fact that the pass play given to Romo to call, with KO running that route is stupid. The fact that there were 2 other times to run, and they didn't that was stupid.

Yes, Romo can check out of a run play, but the pass play he is given is also from the coach.
  14. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You've heard the phrase, every dog has his day... KO also played last year and flat-out sucked. One game in 2 years doesn't make him any good, nor does it mean you target him because he happened to get lucky, especially considering since that game, he's essentially been bottled up by everybody he's played against.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,828 Messages
    3,829 Likes Received
    sad how trivially romo treats the game sometimes.
  16. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Plays have their progression by design... People think this is street ball, where they just line up and run their routes and Romo looks randomly in whichever direction he thinks a WR is going to be open....

To even think that play was Romo being trivial is just absurd, considering:

1. He called the designed play
    2. The play brought the safety into the middle
    3. KO got single coverage
    4. He put the ball where KO actually touched it

Miles Austin was essentially a decoy on this play and Romo doesn't draw up the plays...
  17. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Agreed, thats what coaching is all about. Run the show. Tell your QB to run the ball, dont let him audible. So Romo is calling the plays now? So what does Garrett do exactly for this team?
  18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,572 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    On top of that Romo laid the ball in the perfect spot over Ogletree's outside shoulder where only his receiver could catch the ball. If KO doesn't get his arm held, he probably makes that catch, Romo is a hero, Redball is a genius, and Dallas is 4-3.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,828 Messages
    3,829 Likes Received
    1 minute left with a 1 or 3 pt lead vs eli w/ 3 timeouts? i don't know...
  20. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

13,735 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    This. How convenient that the flag was picked up.