1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So Romo called the play to o-tree on 3rd and 1?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MaineBoy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    I was thinking only the Cowboys. I can't see the refs picking up that flag for any other home team in the league.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,558 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I've pointed this fact out previously, along with the fact that Romo also said he checked out of the run based off of the defensive set. But don't let that get in the way of another perfectly good week of criticizing playcalling.
  3. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,083 Messages
    893 Likes Received
    You can try to blame Romo for checking out of the run but that play he checked into was also given to him by JG.
    That has to be on of the worse plays to call in that situation.

JG probably thought that passing in that situation (2nd, 3rd,and 4th and 1) was a viable option. If JG really wanted to execute a run play, he would of made sure Romo ran a run play.

Just like JG did in the Carolina game when he made sure Romo did not pass and had Tanner run up the middle before kicking the FG.
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    do you think it was a legitimate check out? looking at the replay, there are 6 men in the box and the safeties were not crowding the line. to me, it looks like we had an opportunity to run.
  5. Ultra Warrior

Ultra Warrior 6 Million Light-years beyond believability.

1,481 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    If the player is on the field, it's never "stupid" to try to get him the ball, regardless of WHO the player is. Romo thought he'd have him in the endzone but the catch couldn't be made. This is football. Not everything goes RIGHT or as Planned. Not to mention we were a fingertip away from Winning the game after this drive. It's done & over.
  6. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    fine on 1st or 2nd, not on 3rd and 1 at that point in the game
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,558 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    They specifically checked out of a run based on the defensive alignment. Romo said this in the post game presser.

And, yes, I think the pass was fine. I don't mind going big in that situation at all. Romo had a matchup that favored us on KO.
  8. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,083 Messages
    893 Likes Received
    So pass to an inconsistent WR who hasn't caught one pass in the game in that situation is fine with you? Really?

3rd and 1, needing a TD late in the game, and a long fade pass that is one of the weakest throws your QB makes to the weakest receiver on the field is fine?

Not with me. Maybe on the 2nd and 1 but not on 3rd and 1.
  9. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Romo has been calling the plays for a long time. That's why so many snaps at .01 second or delay of game. When he starts barking out signals and throwing his hands and arms in all directions you can bet trouble is around the corner, usually. I have watched the play results many times after his gyrations and found they normally end badly.
  10. loublue22

loublue22 Well-Known Member

2,098 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    We shouldn't have been trying to put it in the end zone at that point anyway.

2nd and 1 at the 19 with 1:20 left, if OTree makes that catch then we're giving it back to Eli with way too much time left and multiple timeouts, and all he needs is a FG to tie or even win.

Situationally, we should have been trying to pick up a few yards and run the clock, or at least force them to burn timeouts. 2nd and 1 was the perfect scenario for us to do this, but of course, we didn't seem to grasp that.
  11. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,227 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    If it works it's brilliant, if it doesn't work it's the worst call ever. How about the SF game last year when he threw the ball to Holley? If Holley doesn't make the catch, it's the dumbest decision ever, but he makes it and the rest is history.

Sometimes there is more to it than what you see on TV...
  12. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,789 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    The thing is even if it worked it was a stupid call. Leaving that much time for Eli with 3 time outs for a possible game winning fg is dumb.

Make the first and run the clock. How hard is that?
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,388 Messages
    3,673 Likes Received
    :bow:

I can't stop thinking about that either.
  14. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,438 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Pre audible:

[IMG]

Audible:

[IMG]

One safety was creeping down, the other creeping up.

Plus, I think Romo caught the safeties signal the coverage to each other. Don't know why they didn't already sort that out. Probably had to wait for the offense to align, but they did what they were pointing at.
  15. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,851 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Romo should have never thrown to that scrub. Simple as that. That play was on Romo if he was given THAT option.
  16. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    If a receiver is open on a play, throw it to him, even if he is a scrub.
  17. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

944 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yeah but which one has the higher percentage chance of succeeding?
  18. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

157 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I find it funny people are actually saying we should've ran. The Dallas cowboys running game sucks, I don't trust it to gain an inch, let alone a hard. Just look at the goal line issues where the offensive line got no push at all.

If you have a problem with the pass selection, that's fine, that's your opinion. But for the people who are complaining about if we would've scored we would've left Eli with too much time on the clock. Let me ask you this, isn't that a much better problem to have then to not score at all? Even if we pick up the first down there is NO guarantee that we end up scoring. If anything the play call is kind of smart. You have a situation where the defense is probably not expecting a ball in the end zone. They took a shot and missed. It happens. To blame anyone is trivial, and you guys really need to relax. Blaming Romo for this isn't gonna change anything. For all the throws he missed, he still stormed us back.

For the record, I don't think it was a penalty. You saw ogletree grab his jersey, the guys were hand checking each other. Clean play.
  19. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,449 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    Sooo you're saying Romo has to stare down his first read instead of looking off and spotting a wide open Austin for a easy 1st down.. Got it.:banghead:
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,857 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Yup, the head coach has no power over play calling. What could Garrett possibly do??