1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So Romo called the play to o-tree on 3rd and 1?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MaineBoy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. loublue22

loublue22 Well-Known Member

2,121 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Good teams play situational football and consider everything involved at any given moment. Of course scoring is ultimately the most important thing, but at 2nd and 1 already at the 19, we were in the PERFECT situation to continue to burn clock and move more methodically down the field. If it had been 2nd and 12 or something, no one would be complaining.

Literally everything about that situation dictated run, and it wasn't called, by Garrett or Romo or whoever. It was bad football, and it cost us AGAIN.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,484 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
  3. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

158 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    It was 3rd and 1. And you're kind of proving the point. Everything about the situation dictated run, so you don't think the defense knew that? What has happened pretty much all year when we've tried to run? We've failed miserably. I'm not saying it was the best pass play, but I hav zero issue with checking out of the run into a pass there.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,869 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    lol, I'm having a hard time seeing how anyone really buys that you don't try to gain 1 yard on the ground on 2 and 1 or 3rd and 1. Even if you have 19 yards on the ground, you go for 20 yards on one of those downs. I can get passing on 2nd and 1 if you're going to run on 3rd and 1, but you don't throw on both downs unless you're okay with the field goal in that situation.
  5. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

158 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    They needed a yard at the goal line and failed on first and second down. And failed miserably, didn't come close. This is not a good running team, especially if Murray is out.
  6. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,885 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    And that is coming from someone who has Romo as his avatar on the site.. so you KNOW he loves him some Romo. He is still being honest with himself. We were in the perfect position to run the ball and burn clock while methodically getting in position to score. Instead we get in the way of ourselves AGAIN.
  7. ufcrules1

6,885 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    Yeah, a pass to Miles going across the middle who was wide open. Not a joke WR with 1:20+ seconds on the clock allowing Eli to come back and beat us.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,869 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    So does that mean that next time we're in 2nd and 1 situations, you refuse to pass the ball and only run it because passing failed the last time?

I mean if the next play is always determined by the success or failure of of the previous play, does that mean that if you get 5 yards on a run, you run it the next time without fail?

What you're saying isn't so crazy, but if that's the way Garrett actually coaches he should have been fired a long time ago. That's a terrible way to approach play calling.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,854 Messages
    620 Likes Received

This ....
  10. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

158 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I have no issues with this. I never said I agreed with the pass play selection, or the pass itself. Just that I felt like we had a better chance converting with the ball in Romos hands then Felix/Tanner/Vickers.
  11. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

158 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    No. But all things considered (the way they were man handled earlier in the game when they needed a yard, the way they were ineffective running the ball all game, what romo saw in the defense) I pass on 3rd and 1 there all day long. Lets not forget about Felix's fumble. He isn't the most sure handed runner. If we had Murray, I'm more confident with a 3rd and 1 run.

I'm not saying we had 0 chance of converting if we ran, I just think our chances of getting a first were higher passing the ball.
  12. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,086 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Some of you people amaze me. Like we live in a perfect world. We could have ran the ball and for sure got the first down, milked the clock down to nothing , scored and won the game.. it's just that simple, why didn't JC think of that.

Facts: We couldn't run all day, We have a match up on the out side that favored us, they had 10 players within 4 yards of the ball when it was snapped, not good for running, especially when we haven't been able to run at all for the rest of the game. You don't wait to score, you take your shot when you have the best opportunity. The match up was good, the pass was good. it didn't work out, get over it.. It was not a bad call or decision by either the Coach or by Romo. It's real easy to look at the results of the play and decide if it was a good call or not. Little differnt if you have to make your decison without knowing the results. The match up favored us, period.
  13. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,388 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    If I felt the O-line was remotely capable of pushing the pile for one yard against that front I would be upset. They were not, so I was not upset at all. There may be more of this before the year is out. DeMarco will help, but he can't block for himself.
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,844 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Untrue-they had six in the box first off. That alone makes Tony's decisions to audible nuts. Secondly, you have three BETTER throwing options than a low percentage streak to a guy who has had one good game in his career. Witten/Austin were killing them all game and from all accounts Miles was wide open. How anyone can say it's not a bad decision given the full compliment of To's, time on the clock and the QB you are playing against. Manning can go forty yards with three timeouts in his sleep.
  15. Cowboy4ever

2,086 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Can't play scared. Again,you take your shot when you have the best opportuntiy. And when we lined up, they have only 2 guys back beyond 4 yards of the LOS.. the safeties.. one of them start creeping down before the snap.. that puts 10 guys within 4 yards of the LOS when we snapped the ball.. you will have a very hard time picking up anything running the ball in that situation, especially with our OL. Could he have thrown to someone else, yep.. but I also bet that the D was bracketing both Miles and Witten.. cuz they know they have been killing them all day too. The best match up for us was on the outside, Romo took the shoot. I don't think it is a bad decision to try and take advantage of the best match up we have. You base your argument on the results. Just because the play didn't work out, doesn't make it a bad call or decision.
  16. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,790 Messages
    552 Likes Received
    Disagree, that is the exact situation when you do not take your shot, you don't leave time for Eli to possibly win the game with a FG. That is beyond dumb.

A good coach thinks about those things.
  17. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,787 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    You are correct Austin was wide open on the other side for a easy first
  18. ufcrules1

6,885 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    Man handled at the one yard line when the the defensive is stacking the box is one thing, but at the 20 yard line when they were not stacking the box is a whole different story. I think the odds are pretty high we get the one yard. Much higher than throwing to a scrub WR who hadn't had one catch in the game.
  19. Cowboy4ever

2,086 Messages
    80 Likes Received

We needed a TD to take the lead. If you get the right match up, of course you take your shot. A good coach puts his team in a position to win the game, which means, having more points than the other team. No way can you pass up on a chance to score a TD, just because it leaves more time on the clock than you want.. not in that situation. By that logic,, even if the CB had slipped and O was running completely unguarded into the endzone, you would have not thrown it to him?? Don't be silly.
  20. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

158 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    You guys are nuts saying you don't leave Eli time. Obviously we'd like to leave him as little time as possible. But at the end of the day we didn't score on that drive. What situation would you rather have, being ahead with Eli having the ball, or not scoring at all. You score when you can. It's not like we were tied or a fg would bring us to tie/win. When you need a TD you take it when you can get it. You don't get cute.