1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

So who invented the zone blitz, really..

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by dwmyers, Jun 21, 2013.

1. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,050 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Sammy Baugh, talking about the 1935 game between TCU and SMU, said:

More stuff like that on my blog in a new article, including what Mike Ditka really thinks of the 46 defense ;)

http://codeandfootball.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/defensive-fronts-notes-from-the-1930s-to-the-1960s/
    jobberone likes this.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,678 Messages
    5,558 Likes Received
    Different zone defense but I found this interesting

In his rookie season with the Cowboys, Hayes had 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns while leading the NFL with an average of 21.8 yards a catch.

That showed his big-play ability, and Hayes' world-class speed forced defenses -- unable to cover him with traditional man-to-man schemes -- to come up with many of the zone defenses that are common in today's game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2002/09/19/hayes_obit_ap/
  3. dwmyers

2,050 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Hays got an amazingly bum deal out of life, to have been so game changing in his day.

I hate to think what the media would have been like if they had an Internet and a NFL Network back then.

D-
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,101 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Cool history! Nice shootin', Tex!
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,919 Messages
    730 Likes Received
    Great post! Thanks.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,731 Messages
    5,923 Likes Received
    I can't access your blog here in China. Could you email me that piece if you wish and have the time. I'd really like to see it and add your blog to view when I get back to the states. PM me if you can't find my email address
  7. dwmyers

2,050 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I'll need a PM to get your address. I'll note my brother lives in Shanghai (and is on this board actually, though I keep forgetting his account name; he posts rarely) and if you are there for some time and can't figure out how to get where you want to go, I'll get him to PM you.

D-
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,731 Messages
    5,923 Likes Received
    Just start a conversation with me if you have the time. My adopted family is from Shanghai but my family is mostly in Qingdao. I'll try to check if my email address is public here; if I can find out how to. Thanks! :)