1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

So who watched the Sunday morning Debate?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Eric_Boyer, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    This was my highlight:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=3958

70% of Iowa republicans want out of Iraq. The straw poll is going to be interesting!

The lowlight? Paul gets the least amount of speaking time of all 9 candidates on the stage.
    Polls higher then several, has raised more money then all but Guliani and Romney - yet least amount of time given.

He gets completely skipped on the question of healthcare. I guess a Dr. dsoesn't have much insight on that topic so it isn't media bias.

He also gets skipped completely on taxes, but I guess since he is so weak on that issue it also isn't media bias.

Lastly - Gulaini is disgusting. you know what the problem is with our empire building? According to him the problem is we hand over the democracy to fast. We need to dictate how these countries are run for a much longer time. I'm not making this up, remove the politicaly speak and that is what he was telling us. Exporting demacracy is a great thing, but because these people don't immediately agree with a nation of laws, we need to take it slower. the man is pure evil!
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,437 Messages
    3,677 Likes Received
    I completely forgot about the debate yesterday. But was watching it on youtube earlier.

Rudy boggles my mind with some of the stuff he says. It really is funny because they gave multiple examples of democracy in other areas that resulted in the people voting in players that are not sympathetic to the US. It is one thing if they put in power who we want. Problem is they don't seem to fathom that many of these people just don't believe in what we think they should believe in.

I honestly wonder if some of these politicians actually think we believe they are only after democracy or if they just don't care if we believe them or not. I would much rather hear them come out and say. We don't really care about the people there, we only care about our own self interests.

As I noted before though, they don't seem to grasp that those people don't always want what is best for the USA. They want what they believe is best for them.
  3. Eric_Boyer

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received

This is why I give Tancredo credit. He says some controversial things but if he believes in them then he should say them. He isn't saying something for the sake of electability.

I'm not sure why Tancredo's view on Mecca and Medina are so out of line anyway. He is talking about a hypothetical situation where terrorists are nuking our cities. Push comes to shove, we do come first. And just like Japan, we will be sorry to nuke a bunch of innocent civilians, but America comes first and we will do it if our very existance is in jeopardy.

If some other country wants to embrace natural rights, then we can talk. Otherwise, America will always come first.
  4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,119 Messages
    519 Likes Received

One of the biggest reasons I am on the Paul bandwagon is that he has, to my knowledge, never given some silly 'democracy' diatribe. He is a constitutionalist before anything else, not some cold-war era democracy flinging talking head.

And I agree with you Boyer - the media is controlling this far too much. Paul would probably, at this point, be up there with Romney and Rudy if the Media would give him any kind of respect. It's sad that the media can control such things.
  5. Eric_Boyer

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    For 10 years I have been complaining about media bias - and the evidence keeps getting louder and louder.

The debate was a great example. As I mentioned previously, only about 1% of the American Public is watching these debate. the truth is more people tune in that already know who they are voting for - it's like a sporting event to see how your team performs.

So in all of these debates Dr. Paul has won in a landslide. He has very little support from America at large, but out of those watching the debates, a vast majority support him.

It certainly didn't change with this one:

Now for the problem - the majority of people tuning in to these debates are doing so to watch Ron Paul. 99% of the country doesn't watch. So either the coverage should be tailored to be fair to all candidates, or it should be tailored to give the viewers what they want. Neither thing is happening though. Duncan Hunter is polling lower then Paul nationally yet receives more time in every single debate. Same with Brownback.

That my friends is a case of media bias. The only candidate with a difference message, the only candidate that is getting people to tune in to watch, is the candidate given the least amount of time to air his views.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,437 Messages
    3,677 Likes Received
    Is that number gap between paul and romney really that big or is that a typo?

The reason I ask is because with the one on fox some time back Paul was leading but once the poll closed he was a couple of points behind romney but both were ahead of Rudy.

Those poll numbers you posted looks like a typo because they are just so much of a gap. Not saying you are wrong but that is a staggering gap.

On a side note.

Has Ron Paul considered doing something like Ross Perot did back in the day and having an hour long show with him talking about this or that so he can get face time?

I don't know if he has the money to pull that off or if there are restrictions for that now.
  7. Crown Royal

10,119 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    This is the truth of politics as a whole.
  8. Eric_Boyer

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Those numbers were accurate. Now he is down to 26,000 votes so they must of eliminated duplicates or something?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/BeSeenBeHeard/popup?id=3135373

I don't know what Ron Paul's plans are - I just lead a group of activists. I have a direct line to talk to the campaign manager, the campaign chairperson, and even Ron's kids who are helping with the campaign - but I'm on a need to know basis only as to what they plan on actually doing.
  9. Crown Royal

10,119 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    As I was researching him last night, I came across some questions that I had on issues I never saw addressed either in his legislative demeanor, campaigns or debates. What is the best way for me to get answers to these questions?
  10. Eric_Boyer

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    If you send an email - they do respond....slowly.

If you lie and mention you are from Iowa - it will get answered in far greater detail and with more urgency.....for this week anyway.

Or you could ask it here and I can try to give you the answer.
  11. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Eric -- I was surprised to read today that Ron Paul had proposed some 65 earmarks this year, amounting to over $400 million (including $8 million to market wild American shrimp).

I would have thought that shenanigans like that were beneath him.

Have you heard anything about this?
  12. Eric_Boyer

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    He introduces spending earmarks for people in his district, then votes no on them. Media tends to omit that last part.

His feeling is his people deserve this just as much as people in other districts and they shouldnt be the only ones getting punished because they elected a constitutionalist.
  13. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So he's for them before he's against them? That sounds vaguely familiar. :D ;)

You have to admit, though, that the introducing part of it is really the worst part. The fact that he introduces them has a much bigger negative impact on the budget than his lone vote against the bill. He'd have voted against the bill anyway, but thanks to his earmark, an additional $8 million is going to get pisssed away on shrimp marketing.
  14. Crown Royal

10,119 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    It seems to me that he is caught between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, he is responsible for his constituency and providing for them in an equitable manner. Even if he disagrees that money is spent, he can't very well watch other districts make money while his own is made relatively impoverished because he disagrees on the spending.
  15. thescarface1989

thescarface1989 New Member

430 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. Eric_Boyer

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I strongly disagree.

Introducing bad legistlation doesn't create a problem. Passign bad legislation does.

And anycase, I'm not going to criticize the one guy that is trying hard to reduce government spending. He can't do jack if he can't win an election!

Take term limits - Dr. Paul is strongly in favor of them.

Well gee - what a hypocrite - he has served 10 terms in congress yet supports term limits? Yes - and as soon as he can get the rest of congress to go along with him, he will stop running for reelection. Some call this hypocrisy, I call it pragmatic integrity.
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,756 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Introducing bad legislation can cause a problem. He may vote no, but it can still pass by other yes votes. It would be better not to introduce it in the first place. That specific part seems pointless to me.

I agree he is not getting a fair amount of time in the debates. I thought it was shameful for Guiliani to demand Paul to apologize for some of his comments during one of the earlier debates. Ron Paul has received face time on Bill Maher's show(twice) and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
  18. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This strategy will not work for Ron Paul. If you're trying to win a Republican primary, you should try to get on Fox News or talk radio. I can't imagine many Republicans watch Bill Maher or Jon Stewart.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,756 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    I was not implying that was a winning strategy or that was even his strategy. Just the fact he was on both shows. I know both shows invited him to be on. I am sure he and his crew probably inquired as most candidates do about being on their shows, but those shows sought him out.

Maybe Fox News won't let him on or limits when he is on just like he is limited during the debates. Sure that is what he needs to do to win, but barring any success there he at least just needs to get his name and face out there somehow. Heck, he could even go on The View or something.
  20. Crown Royal

10,119 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Ron Paul was on Fox News yesterday for about 8 minutes.