1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Some More Comments on Ted Kennedy & Health Care

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rogah, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,619 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I hope the moderators will allow me to continue this subject, even though the previous thread was closed. Since we won't be seeing Lewpac or CCF anytime soon, I doubt it will spiral into forbidden topics.

Let me say that while I gladly admit I dislike Kennedy, I do have sympathy for his situation. I wouldn't wish brain cancer on my worst enemy. It seems that we're at the point where the most we can hope for is that he is able to rest comfortably. The letter that he released 2 days ago was actually dated July 2. Combine that with the fact that he missed his sister's funeral, and it makes me think that the end is imminent. It could be today, it could be tomorrow, it could be 6 months from now.

This could have a huge impact on the health care debate. So much has been made of the Democrats' "fillibuster proof majority" but I don't think there has actually been a Senate session this year where all 60 were present. Early word out of Massachusetts is the pols there are not on board with the idea of allowing the governor to appoint a temporary replacement. So if Kennedy dies, it could take months to fill his seat and boom - there goes the fillibuster proof majority.

I think the liberal lion is fighting his disease hoping to cast one final vote on the issue that is so near and dear to him. It actually kind of chokes me up a little, even though I hope the bill fails.