1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Someone explain to me, too...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Vintage, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    If Obama is so against the war in Iraq, why does he say he is willing to send troops into Pakistan to get OBL.

Paki$tan is a U.S. ally.... and he is willing to send troops without Paki$tan's approval? Yet, Iraq is a foreign policy blunder (though admittedly, parts of it have been handled that way)?

Though, I suppose you could question why Paki$tan is an ally of the U.S. considering their [lack of help] pre-9-11 with OBL.... however, they are an ally in a key regional area of US interest.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    What I found funny about Obama's pakistan remark some time ago. People on the other sider of the aisle were making fun of him and booing him and so on, yet months later they too saw that his words may turn out to be a possibility and were essentially saying the same thing.

There comes a time when a country who is your ally, yet at times seems to not take the capture of OBL seriously and know where he is at, and in some cases seems to not mind him being there...there comes a time when you have to tell them to get off their butts and do something about it or we will.

Then again maybe they are just following W's attitude that OBL is not a priority and he just does not care about him much.
  3. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    Thing is, I question how much control Pakistan really has over those tribal lands....

IOW, are they pretty much a de facto state itself.

Also, Pakistan has Al-Qaeda sympathizers across their gov't and intelligence community. So you could argue that informing Pakistan of anything is essentially the same as informing OBL himself.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Wow ..... every Obama thread gets turned into a Bush bash.
  5. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have not heard his comments but I always thought the whole war on terror was about combating an extremely amorphous entitity, which Osama Bin Laden and Al Queda were the face of.

I have no problem with the United States Government taking measures to apprehend these individuals.
  6. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received

Where is the bashing of Bush?

If anything, I should be accused of bashing Obama....

Yet, the only complaint comes from someone thinking its a bash Bush thread. Interesting.
  7. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One person in here criticized Bush.

But of course, when you are sensitive and very dogmatic in your views, one poster criticizing Bush is seen as an entire Bush bashing thread :rolleyes: .
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I think the US has hurt Al Queda ability in the way we have dealt with them instead of putting all resources to find 1 man. I think OBL will eventually get nailed but Al Queda is bigger than 1 man and the battle will continue even after OBL is gone.
  9. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received

Agreed.

OBL can stay in whatever cave he is in. So long as we keep killing, destroying, disrupting Al-Qaeda, freezing their assets, working with countries to secure their border, etc.

Killing/capturing OBL is nothing more than a symbolic thing that in reality will have no affect on Al-Qaeda. Everything else I said above does have an affect on Al-Qaeda and is far more important to carry out.

I don't think Bush flip-flopped on this issue. He did change his opinion, but I think it was bec. he finally realized just how little capturing OBL truly means in comparison to the broader strategy.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Which is what Bush was getting at when he talked of OBL being irrelevant OBL is not in charge of too much even his communications tend to be weeks if not months old. It has nothing to do with not wanting to get him but for those who would use all resources to get 1 man I think it a bit of a narrow view of the overall battle.
  11. zrinkill

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Explain how I am like that.

I was messing with BP ...... but I would like to see how you think I have a dogmatic viewpoint.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    I think he is saying you smell like milk bones...but I could be wrong.:p:
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    another thing that needs to be clarified.

The bomb remark was meant to bomb OBL and AQ In pakistan. Not to bomb pakistan's government or the like.

It was basically saying, if you don't get the job done or take the job serious, let us in there to do it.
  14. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    I know...

But its still a violation of Pakistan's sovereignty (and that of a US ally).
  15. zrinkill

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    I will admit I am very Bull Doggish when it comes to trolls ..... or those who attract my ire ....

But Dogmatic viewpoint means I have an arrogant assertion of an unproven or unprovable position or principle ......

So I want to know what he was talking about.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received
    For instance, that this is a bash Bush thread....
  17. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    At the time he said it, I did not disagree with his takes, nor do I now and most others don't either.

The problem with it was that he said it out loud in a debate IMO.

I don't care if OBL is the only person left from AQ. I want that SOB on a platter.

I imagine the boost to troop morale alone would be worth getting him.
  18. zrinkill

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    That was me messing with Brain .... he understood it .... I have been doing it everytime he brings Bush up when someone else is discussed.

Mick Green 58 acted as if it has history ..... I simply wanted him to elaborate.
  19. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,158 Messages
    844 Likes Received

I know people are going to disagree with this....

But I want OBL alive. Not dead. I want him in prison; not executed. If he is somehow taken alive, he will want to be executed to be made a martyr.

I want him locked in prison for life. I don't want him getting what he wants. And I don't want Al-Qaeda to use it as a recruitment tool for extremists "be made a martyr like OBL against the infidels."

With him in prison, they can't do that. Its a huge slap in the face to Al-Qaeda to boot, being compared to common criminals. Its also another step at de-legitimizing their "campaign."
  20. zrinkill

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    I agree with this.