1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Something dawned on me after seeing Jason Garrett with "53" on his hat

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by zack, Dec 22, 2012.

1. zack

zack Well-Known Member

2,047 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Thanks CowboyMcCoy

I am here every day, my favorite site. I will try and do some more typing.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,436 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    I must have missed it because I still have no idea what you are talking about the number 53 feeding a money making machine. None, zero, zip, nada. I don't get it.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,594 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    I thought he was referring to the NFL as the moneymaking machine. Or even the superbowl that Cajun was referring to.

My 2 nickels.
  4. Hostile

118,436 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    I still don't get it.

Teams have put tributes to fallen coaches, owners, owner's wives, and players on their helmets or sleeves for years. The GSH on the Bears sleeves is still honoring George Halas who died int he 80's. I do not get what is creepy about it. I do not get how it feeds a money making machine. I do not understand why it is suddenly wrong because the Cowboys are the team who is doing it.

Nope, I don't get it. If the Dallas Cowboys use that point in time to rally for a fallen friend then bless them for it. No different to me than how the Colts have rallied for their Head Coach and his fight against Leukemia. Whatever it takes to motivate a team, I don't see it as creepy. Maybe some see the speech Pagano made as creepy, but not me. I was inspired. I wanted to go play for the man. I wanted to go to his daughter's wedding to see him dance with her.

Creepy? Money making?

Don't see it.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,581 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    Jerome Brown died while test driving a Corvette on a rainy street in the off season in 1992. Killed his nephew as well.

The Eagles brought his locker with them to Texas Stadium that season when they came on Jan 10 for a play-off game as a sign of solidarity.

Pretty much the press and fans of the Cowboys ridiculed them for the gesture saying it was a trivial act to create a sense of oneness with the team.

Dallas beat the snot out of them that day 34-10.

Never believed in manufactured motivation.

Either you karate do, yes, or you karate do no. No karate do maybe.
  6. Hostile

118,436 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    ~squish~

Just like grape, understand.
  7. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,857 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    So, nothing in you life has ever motivated you to do something that you never would have thought about doing, and was glad that you did?

:cool:

I've had tons of things in my life that motivated me to be who I am today.

I won't go into my Military during a war...but, something in the experience motivated me after I got out.

You're probably motivated everyday and don't know it, or that some of that could be manufactured.

Did you hear about that citizen that saw a light helicopter land in a small ditch? He ran over there and literally picked the helicopter off the pilot and got him to safety. Manufactured motivation...
  8. TwoDeep3

5,581 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    No, I'm pretty self aware, so when and how I am motivated isn't unknown.

But I do my own motivation.

Let's win this for the Gipper applies only if you could win it to begin with.

I don't believe the Cincy game was a motivated win sine Cincy couldn't hold onto the ball late in the game.

Murray and the running game married with the Stealers defense sucking on ice had more to do with that win than some mythical victory for Brown.

The game is three hours long. The motivational speeches at the beginning of the game wane when the going gets tough.

I prefer to believe this team has found a groove because of the running game coming back and Romo now having the play action to work correctly versus an Alamo theory of do or die.

By the way, saw the story about the helicopter.

Where were the other fifty men with him and did they individually hold the chopper up for three hours apiece? Because that is what you are selling here.
  9. 5Stars

25,857 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    It's all good, bro...

I have no idea what is motivating the Cowboys as of late. But, I hope whatever they are doing keeps happening. These last few games have not looked like anything that the team was during the early season.

They actually look like they want something, and they have been playing smart, physical football. So, whatever got them motivated comes from each player I hope...they have to become a team that is motivated to WIN. That is what they get paid to do.
  10. 5Stars

25,857 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    There was not 50 other men, just him and someone else...

It's on you tube...I will see if I can find it for you.
  11. TwoDeep3

5,581 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    I have seen it.

My point is if you are saying the helicopter incident is the same as the rallying cry of Brown before the game with the resultant victory, then where were the other fifty two men at the helicopter crash, and did each hold the copter up for three hours apiece.

I am suggesting I don't think they are similar.

An incident when a human becomes super human is a phenomenon that I find intriguing.

But fifty three men - or in the case of 45 suiting up and somehow finding a motivation to win a game because of a death in the family seems a stretch to me. Only because they had to carry that feeling for three hours and change to seal the deal.

It was a poor question. I was trying to suggest these things are not alike and got too cute with it.

By the way 5stars, you have a spectacular holidays and be safe.

I'm starting to like you, as well.
  12. 5Stars

25,857 Messages
    1,232 Likes Received
    Dammit....that was not what I was after! :bang2:

Could a mod delete my account...later on?:confused:

The thing about us rival Cowboy fans that I like? Hopefully, we are all Cowboy fans...and that we all have something to be thankful for.

:star:
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,678 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Don't worry, there will not be a quiz. It's okay that you don't get it. Just wanted to put your mind at ease so you can get some sleep tonight.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting professional sports don't generate money?
  14. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

814 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I suggested this to my boss (who is a Cowboy fan as well) this week, and he responded that it was ''creepy" to use a player's death as modivation. It was strange to me that he didn't see how an unfortunate accident like this could inspire anyone to look at life a little more serious. When a peer or some one close to you dies, especially prematurely it should, and has for me triggered a self evaluation process. Reality is it could have been me both times i went thru this experience, and both times marked significant life changing direction in my life. In this situation there are two young men, one who lost his life and one who's life will never be the same again, both of which could have been any other player on that roster. It would be stranger if it didn't trigger a sense of unity and/or appreciation for the privelage in life to even be playing in the NFL.

"It's funny how we look at life, and take it all for granted right, til reality strikes, it changes things over night. I thank the Lord for looking over me and though I'm prone to do it wrong, I repent tremendously, hoping that he keeps me strong, when the heat gets on." Scarface

Those lines have inspired me not to take life for granted, and to find strength thru difficult times.
  15. tunahelper

tunahelper Active Member

3,900 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Oh the drama.
  16. Hostile

118,436 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    This is where you are really wrong. it is never okay that I don't get it. I have to get it. Celibacy sucks.