1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Something I don't understand about today's game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JDSmith, Sep 25, 2005.

1. JDSmith

JDSmith New Member

1,669 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How the hell were the Niners able to run on us like they did? We faced LT and Portis in the first two weeks and held both in check, then the scrubs of the NFL come out and run all over us? Was it just a let down week, since we thought we were facing a team that didn't threaten us like our previous opponents? Was it just bad tackling? Did the Niners find something and exploit it? I personally think it was a combination of the first two, but I haven't gone back to rewatch and it's hard to recall much from the game when everything is overridden by emotion.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,502 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    In football there are no absolutes any more. One week you can stuff the best RB in the game and the next week a hack eats you up. Success 1 week does not translate to success the next or even over the long haul.
  3. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Starters today lost their jobs.....
  4. JDSmith

JDSmith New Member

1,669 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I understand that, but controlling both LT and Portis shows me something. Then we allow huge holes and guys I never heard of to gut out extra yards on virtually every play. It's perplexing.
  5. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    One thing I noticed JD, was when the 49ers went 3 wide and we stayed with our regular personnel, the spread Ware out and ran off guard his way. Essentially taking our extra lB and put him out of the play on a WR.
  6. Hostile

118,502 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    Perhaps an interior O-lineman form the 9ers had the game of his life against a guy on the Cowboys DL who was struggling?

It's not as predictable as people think.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,531 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    The niners do have a better center then either the Skins or the Chargers. That probably made the difference.
  8. JDSmith

JDSmith New Member

1,669 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And that's why I don't bet on football. ;)
  9. Hostile

118,502 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  10. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    You know you jinxed me last week?
  11. Hostile

118,502 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    How did I do that?
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,768 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received
    The answer is they (the Niners) ran a lot of 3 WR sets and spread out our defense by forcing an OLB to walk out and cover a WR. The effect was we ended up with 6 men in the box.

Teams are scheming our 3-4 very well.
  13. Hostile

118,502 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    That's what they pay them to do. Mike Nolan is a good football guy. He has good people with him.
  14. MichaelWinicki

31,768 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received

I missed your post, and you are 100% correct. On many plays we only had 6 men in the box. We need to get out of the 3-4 when teams go 3-wide. 3 DL and 3 LBs or 4 DL and 2 LBs? I would vote for #2.
  15. MichaelWinicki

31,768 Messages
    2,519 Likes Received

You're right. And he schooled us. We waited almost too long to adjust. They killed us with that in the first half.
  16. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    It may have been that San Fran was doing some different blocking schemes then they have from the first two weeks. In the 2nd half for the most part our team adjusted and held them in check. There was the 27 yard run after the INT but outside of that they may have had 20 total yards rushing in the 2nd half.
  17. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    You kept telling me the Wash game made you nervous and as soon as you said it, they scored thier first TD and then the game winner. I felt like if I had never seen that post we would be 3-0. I'm very superstitous about the Boys.
  18. Hostile

118,502 Messages
    1,789 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Next week I'll avoid ya until the game is over. Maybe that will help.

:grin:
  19. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    I think it was part of out game plan. I remember BP saying earlier in the week that if SF went 3 wide we would stay regular. Although in the 2nd half, I noticed we made the adjust ment late so SF couldn't adjust by bringing in our nickle and leaving Ware inside. Don't know if anyone will admit it, but James played his tale off today.
  20. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    314 Likes Received
    You do realize the 2 times we didn't post to each other during the game, we won both of them. Your off limits during the game for the rest of the year. :laugh2: