1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Something that puzzles me and always has.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 5Stars, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,612 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    I was listening to the Romo interview about this last game and he said something to the effect that "when we fell behind and went into the hurry up offense" (or something like that), and the Cowboys almost won the game in spite of all the turnovers.

If that is the case, why don't they just come out in "the hurry up offense" to start the game? I guess I just don't know football, but to me that is a stupid way of playing the game.

The Cowboys gave the Giants what, 21 points to start the game (I cannot remember the quarter scores), committed all those turnovers and damn near won the game!

I've seen this time and time again, a team falls way far behind then goes into hurry up mode and almost wins.

Why not come out in your "hurry up" game plan right out of the gate, get a big lead, and then rely on the "game plan" in the second half and let the other team get into the "hurry up" offense?

Can someone explain that to me?
  2. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    I agree but it might also have been the Giants figured they had the game in the bag and eased up.

We should go hurry up more often but then the usual cast of characters will complain we aren't milking the clock.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,603 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Our offense has never seemed to play w/a sense of urgency until they are behind.
  4. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,133 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  5. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,871 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    In general this is probably a bad idea, but with our offense it might make sense. We are at our best when we are in hurry up, Romo is improvising and we pin the defense back on its heels. That was the key to our offensive success in 2007.
  6. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,950 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    If the hurry up doesn't work for you it comes back to bite you with the other team killing the clock, and tiring out your defense.
  7. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It's something worth looking at...not so much the pace...simplifying the adjustments seems to be the most relevant issue.
  8. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This has been the trend consistently with Jason Garrett at the helm, i.e. scoring comes in situations when Romo is in the hurry-up or pushing the tempo. It has a tendency to keep JG's 'brilliant' play-calling out of the picture.
  9. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

768 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Yeah - afterall, Garrett keeps throwing all the interceptions, dropping all those passes and fumbling all those balls... needs to coach the fundamentals...
  10. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I guess when JG bandwagoners want to talk about how the offense is top 5 in yards, it's all about JG. But when it comes to INTs and fumbling, it's all the rest of the team. Before, it was TO, then Roy Williams couldn't run routes, then Crayton and his big mouth, now Dez can't run, Miles keeps dropping passes and the OL, last year it was how Costa sucked, and this year its because Costa is out out OL suffers, now it's JG shouldn't be the OC and stick to being a HC...

It was only a matter of time that the homerism wouldn't even spare Romo...
  11. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    This pretty much sums it up.
  12. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,234 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    That is a trend that is beginning to become more prevalent.
  13. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This team needs to realize that they ARE behind. We are falling behind the Giants in the wins column, and we need to start EVERY game with urgency. It is unlikely that this division will have a wildcard team, so in a sense every game is like a playoff game now, and we need to have that type of urgency.
  14. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,584 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I say have the scoreboard operator put 20-0 before the opening kickoff. That way the Cowboys will feel they are already down and then they may play better...LOL
  15. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,612 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    :bow:
  16. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

37,809 Messages
    1,074 Likes Received
    They didn't go into a hurry up, they simply stopped turning the ball over. And once you stop doing that and play defense, you can make things happen.

All that being said, Romo does play better in the hurry up.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    well he was hired as the interim guy, allgedly he was going to work on that issue, hasn't happened.
  18. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Member

733 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao: