1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Somewhat buried in this article

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by burmafrd, Dec 2, 2008.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,150 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28019406

Is the fact that the military has been doing very well at recruiting and retention ever before the economy went south.
    Of course you would not know this from the MSM. They made a big deal about problems several years ago but did they also mention that those problems no longer existed? Of course not. Did they mention that all the left wing BS about our military was just that? Of course not.
  2. Route 66

Route 66 Active Member

3,308 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I remember back in the 90s when I was stationed at Ellsworth and the downsizing back then that affected so many people as well as the early-outs. It took awhile to get morale back.
  3. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hmm, I must have missed that little tidbit. It must have been buried underneath all of those articles that came out a couple of years ago about reserves and the national guard being called up for active duty, and military people being called up for additional tours. Didn't sound like an adequate supply of war labor to me...:cool:

Besides, does it really surprise anyone that a struggling economy produces more enlistments? A bad economy also produces a more highly educated McDonald's workforce. People need jobs really bad and they are willing to do anything to make a buck.
  4. burmafrd

41,150 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    Well I guess as usual you only read what you wanted to read

"Retention rate rising
    The retention rate of early-career soldiers in the Army has risen steadily over the past four years and now stands 20 percentage points higher than it was in fiscal 2004. As for the Navy and the Air Force, early- and mid-career sailors and airmen re-enlisted at a higher rate in October than during the same period in 2007. The Marine Corps was not immediately able to provide comparative figures on re-enlistments."

So how do you feel now VC.
  5. Aikbach

Aikbach Active Member

9,611 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Flirting dangerously close to your burger flipper comment again, its strange how national defense makes your mind think of hamburgers.
  6. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, I did think about that after I posted. It was purely coincidental. I meant no disrespect. Just stating the obvious - that is, in hard times people needing work tend to flock towards wherever opportunities are. Of course, even fast food joints are cutting down on hiring, from what I've read, so maybe the analogy isn't as fitting...who knows?

Other industries are benefitting from the recession as well. Pawn shops are prospering very well, and when's the last time you heard about teacher shortages? Many nursing schools across the nation have full enrollment with waiting lists for getting students into their programs. And, of course, working for the fed_gov is a cool thing to do again.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I came across a similar article on the main page of yahoo news today so it's not being buried by everyone. Not sure what would be accomplished by concealing that fact anyway.
  8. burmafrd

41,150 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    This has been going on for several years. Yet this is the first article I can find in the MSM talking about it. Did a search and nothing else came up from any major news media source. Got a few hits from local papers and the like but nothing from the MSM. So yes I do say its been deliberately ignored by the MSM since it does not fit with their agenda.