1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sony Raises Price of Whitney Houston's Music 30 Minutes After Death

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,432 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    I've always preferred the Playstation to the other consoles...

I think I've officially bought my last Sony product...

===========================================

Whitney Houston, the celebrated pop music icon, died on Saturday at the age of 48. While many around the world mourned, Sony Music immediately raised the price of Houston's greatest hits album, "Ultimate Collection," on iTunes and Amazon.

Sony Music raised the price of Houston's songs just 30 minutes after her death, reports The Guardian. The retail price was raised from about $8 (£4.99) to about $13 (£7.99), which automatically raised the price of digital sales on platforms such as iTunes.

Apple and Sony originally declined to comment, but Sony later answered to the outcries from fans around the world including those in Australia and Great Britain.

"Whitney Houston product was mistakenly mispriced on the U.K. iTunes store on Sunday," Sony said in a statement according to the New York Times. "When discovered, the mistake was immediately corrected. We apologize for any offense caused."

Complete Story
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    If i want to hear Whitney Houston, I go to youtube.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Winter is Here Staff Member

61,732 Messages
    5,114 Likes Received
    Although she had a great voice. I did not care to hear it when she was on top of the charts and I don't care to hear it now just because she died.
  4. Sam I Am

31,432 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    We generally have the same taste in music, but I must say. She has several songs that I really dig. Her voice was amazing. Very good stuff.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Woo-Hoo! Go capitalism! :laugh2:

Eh, it's crappy but it's their property so...
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl You already know why I'm here Staff Member

68,028 Messages
    8,109 Likes Received
    I already had a couple of her CDs, including any Best of material they're trying to hawk now. No plans to purchase anymore.
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You'd expect that kind of ghoulish opportunism from eBay sellers, not a major record company.
  8. Sam I Am

31,432 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    Exactly. Companies that own this stuff risk reprisal. ...as Sony is about is about to get..

Sony, goodnite. Your party is over.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,738 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    I would have done the same thing...they saw how well Michael Jackson stuff sold after his death and want to capitalize. They're simply taking advantage of the fact that people who haven't even thought about her for probably 10 years will now buy a bunch of stuff because, now that she's dead, her merch. becomes a facet of pop culture. The people have every right to be taken advantage of in this case.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,738 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    just some food for thought...

[IMG]
  11. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    i hate when people post these kinds of things. i think its an insult to assume that the seals or anyone in the military risks their lives to protect us for the sake of fame and attention.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,738 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    That's not even close to what that says imo...
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,415 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    It's not what it says but that doesn't make those things anymore ridiculous. There's one circling facebook that compares her death to wrong children in Africa. I'm sure plenty of people have "liked" it and then "liked" a funny cat video right after.
  14. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,369 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    gee I wonder why people ever started pirating music in the first place.....:rolleyes:
  15. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    what? does everyone not pay for music anymore?:D
  16. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Music industry says......piracy bad!!
    Music industry says......capitalizing on our artists death...GOOD!
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,660 Messages
    2,317 Likes Received
    I hate when people post it period.

What do people expect, that we know the name of every last person who has died an honorable way?

Somewhere in the world right now theres a half-clothed child with a distended stomach starving and on the brink of death.

It's unfortunate but should we just refuse to morn those who we adore (right or wrong or for whatever reason) because there are greater travesties in the world at the present time?

I'm not even a big fan of Whitney's to be honest but I'm also not so self-righteous that I feel the need to tell someone else how to feel because they are UNAWARE of the passing of other people whom they had no attachment to.

I've seen other pictures with similar captions of starving children. It's sad to see but how about instead of cutting someone down in an attempt to gain some sort of attention we acknowledge the situation for what it is and if we feel so inclined, try to provide a little support.

Or, how about instead of trying to cut someone down to gain sympathy we honor the man for the service he provided and be thankful he was willing to provide it.

I'd be pretty insulted and embarrassed if I were a family member of that soldier and someone used my deceased loved one to "paint a picture of humanity".

I sure as hell hope that someone who cared for him didn't make that or post it.
  18. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,349 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    My sister was a big fan and has a ton ofher CD's. Remind me to mark them up for the next yard sale.:)
  19. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,930 Messages
    785 Likes Received
    It is called supply and demand. Demand goes up, price goes up. What's the major malfunction with that?

I got no problem with what Sony did.

I do have disgust for all those people trying to feign concern over her Whitney's death. Most of those people pretending to care didn't give a rat's rear end about her while she was living and now, all of the sudden, care. Yeah, right.

Does her death make her music sacred in your opinion? Shall we enshrine it in the Smithsonian? Worship her music?:rolleyes:

She was a drunken, dope addict with minimal musical talent who was not a very good person based on what I've heard about her. Take away her looks (which time and drug use did) and you are left with very little.

Me and many others, will keep buying Sony products. You and your fellow boycotters, will surely tire of Whitney's music in short time.
  20. Sam I Am

31,432 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    :laugh2: