1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Soundgarden vs Alice in Chains

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyDan, Apr 18, 2011.

1. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    The Battle of the Bands continues with this heavyweight Seattle matchup......
    For me it's Alice in Chains, even though I love both bands. Dirt is an outstanding album, Layne Staley's voice is so unique, the band is so talented and I have a ton of respect for Jerry Cantrell as a guitarist and vocalist. I have a ton of Soundgarden in my music collection, and love Chris Cornell's voice. He's an excellent lyricist and like Alice in Chains, they can play as heavy as you want or as soft as you want. I love bands that can cover a variety of styles and still leave their mark on it.....Alice in Chains and Soundgarden both accomplish this....for me Alice in Chains just has a slight edge...less commercial, more dark.

Here's my favorite from Alice in Chains:

[youtube]f8hT3oDDf6c[/youtube]
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Alice in Chains.
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,083 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    Someone should set up a bracket system where we all vote.

I nominate anyone but me to set this up.
  4. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Agreed...we should do a bracket, or at least a poll on each of these.
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,373 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Alice in Chains.

Soundgarden was a really good band. I'd say as far as the great songs, I'd go with Soundgarden. But as far as being able to churn out good songs, Alice in Chains.

3JACK
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,289 Messages
    4,608 Likes Received
    I like both about the same.
  7. CowboysFaninBaltimore

CowboysFaninBaltimore New Member

860 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Soundgarden was far better, and far superior to AIC in my opinion. AIC helped influence Nickcrap.
  8. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,626 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Slight edge to AIC. They just had/have so many great songs. But I love Soundgarden too, just not quite as many 'great' songs.
  9. 63echo

63echo Member

279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Soundgarden, easy. Louder than Love is my favorite disc from that whole era (unless you consider Faith No More as part of the genre, then all bets are off).

AiC always had a gloomy feel and I found that I had to get into that gloomy mood as well to really enjoy them.
  10. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    heh I was NOT a Faith No More fan. They annoyed me more than I liked their music. :laugh2:
  11. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,890 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Alice in Chains had better complete albums IMO. Post break-up, Cornell has done some really solid stuff.
  12. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    With ya there.. both are amazing bands who had frontment who's style and voices could not and will not ever be touched. Cornell and Staley are two of my favorites of all time. Both had some great albums.
  13. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,708 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Donno what's wrong with me but I simply hate Alice in Chains. I think their sound is awful.

Everyone i know loves em, I'm the oddball. I hate the vocals and the overall sound of their songs =/. Every song sounds the same to me due to the vocals.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,114 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    Alice on this one. Love Man in the Box.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,083 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    The Alice in Chains unplugged album tips this one heavily in favor of AIC.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,105 Messages
    1,956 Likes Received
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,556 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I like them both a lot....guess it depends on the day.
  18. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    AIC....Down in a Hole,Man in the Box...are these guys claustrophobic?
  19. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,438 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    Two of my favorite bands and they're both great. However, I definitely have to go Soundgarden. Cornell's voice is legendary. Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are amazing albums. Staley was awesome, but I like Cornell's voice better. Both bands make/made great music, but I like more Soundgarden songs overall. If you haven't seen Soundgarden live, definitely try to check them out on this upcoming tour. Awesome live band. No weak links. The band is tight and powerful. I hate that I never saw AIC live. Saw Cantrell open for Metallica and he was really good. I have a lot of respect for his talents. Staley literally just wasted away. Sad how they found his body and how bad he was at the end with his addiction (Google it if you don't know the story).

I'm gonna go listen to some AIC right now (I was actually listening to Soundgarden earlier today). Great, great bands...
  20. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,863 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    hard to choose I like them both...