1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Source: Notre Dame safety Harrison Smith to visit Cowboys:

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 4, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsiderReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

Source: Notre Dame safety Harrison Smith to visit Cowboys: http://bit.ly/HTwweF
  2. rojan

rojan Active Member

1,486 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Very nice!!!!
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,236 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    The guy is flying up boards. Very smart player and Ryan wants a smart safety that can line everyone up and play smart. THis is why they like Barron and SMith made all the calls at Notre Dame.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I like him fine if we can get him at 45. Doubt he'll fall that far though. It sounds like he's going in the 28-38 range, most likely.

I think we can land a very goodplayer at 45, so no desperation is needed. Now if there's a guy we love and we need to move up just a few slots from there (where it would cost us our 7th or somethng) than I'm for that too.
  5. FootballCorner

FootballCorner New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Harrison Smith, just not sure where you play him. He is not one of those really fluid guys in coverage and if he played free safety, I just do not know if he is a guy that has that great range to help the corners deep. As a strong safety, he really does not tackle exceptionally well. I mean, he will strike sometimes and can wrap up, but he does not change directions and break down well all the time and will whiff on some tackles.

So, how do you use him? I plugged him in with the strong safeties. I have him behind Barron and Antonio Allen from South Carolina. Allen is a better striker, better presence in the box and makes more splash plays. I had him in the late 3rd but he seems to have gained some traction since his pro day. Still, film should put him in the 3rd.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I think you broke him down well.
    The open field tackling surpirised me, b/c he has so many tackles I had assumed he was a great all-around tackler, but that is not the case.
    I see him as fluid enough to play NFL safety, but not as much so as Barron or Allen.
    I think he's a player though, if used right.
  7. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,015 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    There are going to be a lot of good players available around #45. Some of those players COULD be:

Harrison Smith
    Bruce Irvin
    Brandon Boykin
    Devon Still
    Peter Konz
    Coby Fleener
    Janoris Jenkins
    Jared Crick
    Vinny Cury
    Doug Martin

Any top ones I am missing?
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,840 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    Shea McClellin and Amini Silatolu in my opinion.
  9. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    These two unlikely last till our pick at #45, although we can all hope. Either one avail and we should be doing cartwheels!
  10. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Devon Still won't be there.
  11. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
  12. FootballCorner

FootballCorner New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, most fans are not patient enough to allow these guys to be developed. We all tend to get it in our mind that we get 7 draft picks so we should be able to fix a couple holes immediately, but if you get one starter per draft, you draft well. One out of every three first round picks are busts. It increases each round and when you get to the 4th-7th, it is like 9 of 10. What we forget is the guys we want them to beat out were once 3rd round prospects but they now have 4 years of pro coaching and training. It is a pretty big obstacle.

I think Harrison can be developed, but he is not there yet. That is why I have some issues with moving him into the first round. Most first round safeties start. It is not considered a high value position in the NFL (like QB, LT, pass rusher, or CB). So, when you start taking safeties in the first, they better be excellent. I think it is a weak safety draft. FS is worse than SS.
  13. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    you take him and plug him in at Center. I don't see him there as your list shows.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,166 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    Welp I know the IQ of the team would go up a few points if they got him. Would prefer no sooner than round 3 though.
  15. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    To me, this just adds more fuel to the Barron fire.

It's starting to look pretty obvious to me that Dallas wants a quality safety early.
  16. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    My favorite for #2.

Go Irish!