1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Source to Goodell says "GOD forbid this is true. This will be earth shattering"

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 6, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Peter King‏@SI_PeterKingReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

RT @SInow: Source close to Goodell said commish reaction to initial bounty report: “God forbid this is true. This will be earth-shattering.”
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,779 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    I really doubt this 'source.'
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    its more than 1, ive seen 3 reports so far on twitter

Sports Illustrated‏@SInowReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

A source close to Goodell said commissioner’s reaction to initial reports in '09: “God forbid this is true. This will be earth-shattering.”

Retweeted by Jasmine Sadry

NationalFootballPost‏@FootballPostReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

Eli says Goodell will ensure bounties don't happen again: Giants QB disturbed by investigation http://bit.ly/A4pjEV
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    We'll see if Goodell has paper or brass ones after this
  5. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's going to make an example out of the Saints over an issue 1/10th as serious as what NE got a slap on the wrist for a few years back.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,891 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received

lol!

Really?

Paying players to try and injure players is not as bad as taping signals?

I guess in fantasy land.
  7. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Really?
  8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,308 Messages
    1,375 Likes Received
    I wouldn't go that far.

SpyGate bordered on something as bad as point-shaving.

BountyGate is something that at its base is something that players try to do. It gets a little murky as far as the difference between hurting a player and injuring a player and the intent. I mean...if I am a defender and I want to legally obliterate the QB on a hit when I can simply tackle him and bring him down as well, now we are getting into the semantics.

I think Goodell should come down hard on the Saints, I just think he should have come down as hard, if not harder on the Pats.

SpyGate truly challenged the integrity of the game. BountyGate is more about the direction that football wants to go with player safety, but in itself is contradictory. If there was no money attached to it and players bought dinner for a player who made a nasty hit...this really wouldn't be talked about.

Also, the Pats lied, lied and lied about SpyGate. It appears that essentially Mickey Loomis lied and that was about it. But the entire Pats organization lied and kept lying. At least the Saints copped to it.

Lastly, there's no record of a Saints player injuring another player with an illegal hit. Again, I think the Saints should be punished severly because it's somethign the NFL is trying to get rid of and they told the Saints to stop it and they didn't. But, it does make a difference in why SpyGate, IMO, was worse than BountyGate.

YR
  9. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,837 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    1) On what planet is losing a first round draft pick a "slap on the wrist?"

2) On what planet is having a camera 20 feet out of position 10 times as serious as players deliberately trying to injure other players?!?!?
  10. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,837 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    This is what I call a "prediction report" where someone quotes a "source" when all they're doing is predicting what they feel should/will happen in the hopes they look legit if/when it does.

It would be like me coming in her and claiming I have a "source" that told me the Colts will cut Peyton Manning.
  11. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Saints are likely going to lose multiple picks, be fined huge amounts of money and potentially lose coaches for up to an entire season if they arent outright fired by the front office. The Patriots lost a single pick for CHEATING which may have directly or indirectly led to them winning three titles in four year. They got off easy, the Saints won't.

On any planet where actively cheating is worse than playing football. Also, the Patriots were the only ones doing what they did as far as anyone knows. Anybody with a functional brainstem knows what went on in NO is going on to some degree in every NFL locker room every week.

The faux indignation over this issue is absolutely hysterical. Every store in America is sold out of high horses.
  12. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,465 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, but when I read that someone thinks that intentionally causing a career-ending, crippling, and potentially life-threatening injury to another human being is not as bad as someone taking illegal videos, I fear for the future of civility on this planet. Just my .02
  13. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Literally nobody but the presumptive media and bleeding heart fans has said anything like this was happening. Not one coach or player, past or present, has said they ever intentionally tried to permanently injure someone for money. It's a sensationalist claim meant to drive this otherwise uneventful story. And even if it were true, which I'm sure in isolated cases it has been throughout NFL history, it still isnt cheating. It's why people comparing this issue to steroids in baseball are idiots. Steroids are CHEATING, an active disregard for rules set in place to give teams equal playing fields.
  14. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,837 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    If you want to see faux indignation, you need look no further than the first paragraph of your own post quoted herein.

As for the notion that intentionally trying to injure someone is nowhere near as serious as having a camera 20 feet out of position, I would like to invite you to join the rest of us in the sane, civilized world when you get the chance.
  15. cajuncocoa

2,465 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    You're entitled to your opinion, but mine is that there are worse things than cheating. Yes, cheating is bad, and there is no place for it in the NFL. The Pats paid a price for it. I think this situation is worse, and I hope the Saints AND Gregg Williams have to pay an even stronger penalty.
  16. cajuncocoa

2,465 Messages
    381 Likes Received

:bow:
  17. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I take cheating and dishonesty in football very seriously. If you don't that's your business.

Again, sorry you can't see the difference between paying a guy to make a legal hit and cheating. Don't project your moral relativism about these issues onto me.
  18. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're right, there are. Getting paid a little extra for a big hit on an opposing QB is not one of them however.

Why is it worse? Because it offends some unfounded puristic view of the game you had a week ago? Or because you actually believe it was akin to defenders trying to break the legs of every opposing player?

I've been asking for two days now, but someone PLEASE show me where the widespread hit squads were? 99.9% of the stories being discussed are about getting paid for big plays and legal hits, yet the end of every conversation devolves into "they're trying to kill opposing players!!!"
  19. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    :laugh2: ...
  20. cajuncocoa

2,465 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    If there was no difference between GW's coaching tactics and just good defense, there would have been no reason for the report that came out on Friday. Yes, that report was offensive to me, and I don't think I'm alone...but I am starting to think I may be in the minority among football fans, and that's sad in my opinion.