1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sources: Signs point to Cowboys exercising 5th-year option on Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,326 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    All signs point to the Dallas Cowboys exercising their fifth-year option on Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith that would extend his rookie contract through 2015 and could push off the club’s plan to sign him to a long-term contract.

The NFL’s 2011 collective bargaining agreement required all first-round draft picks to sign four-year contracts with a fifth-year team option built into the deal. Smith, the No. 9 overall pick in 2011, is coming off of his first Pro Bowl season and just turned 23 in December
    According to the CBA, the Cowboys must give “written notice” to Smith before May 3 if they plan to pick up his fifth-year option.

A Cowboys official said this week that it’s reasonable to expect the club will pick up the fifth-year option for Smith, but there’s no need to do so until the deadline.

A source close to Smith said “it’s a given” that the Cowboys will exercise their option and add the fifth year to Smith’s contract.
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...th-pushing-long-term-contract-talks-off.html/
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,035 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    Of course they are. The team wants to get that 5th year at his rookie scale rate before needing to pay the big bucks.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,496 Messages
    2,341 Likes Received
    Exactly.

It's one more contract the doesn't need to be dealt with between now and next offseason.
    Vintage likes this.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,306 Messages
    1,131 Likes Received
    Yeah. That $10.5 million guaranteed is a lot of money, but I think it's the smart move, given they'll likely extend Bryant first and then Smith will be the next mega-deal.
    dwight likes this.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,249 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    I was gonna say, pretty sure the option year is structured similar to franchise tag numbers. Average of the top however many players.
    03EBZ06 likes this.
  6. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,326 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    the 5th year of that rookie contract is at $10.5 million. Not exactly a bargain rookie scale contract, that's more in line with the top tier Tackles.That 5th year benefits Smith more than the Cowboys, his value continues to go up everydayhe continues his stellar pay.
  7. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,143 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    The Raiders.
  8. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,323 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    Honestly I think they exercise the option and then try to work with him on a long term deal.
  9. casmith07

27,035 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    The 5th year option rate is going to cost significantly less than what they potentially will pay in the first year of a front-loaded deal.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,353 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    But the salary cap hit would be cheaper in a new deal.
    khiladi and unionjack8 like this.
  11. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,155 Messages
    1,485 Likes Received
    Seems to be a lot of mulling going on lately . . . .

Cowboys mull vested option on OT Smith

March, 25, 2014
    ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Cowboys have had discussions with the agents for Tyron Smith about picking up the vested option on the starting left tackle's contract.

[IMG]
    Smith
    Smith, the ninth overall selection in the 2011 NFL draft, enters his fourth season on the heels of his first Pro Bowl berth. The Cowboys have until May 2 to pick up the vested option for 2015. If they don't, Smith can become a free agent after this season.

If the Cowboys pick up the option, Smith will receive a base salary of $10.039 million in 2015, which would be the final year of his contract.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said he would like to keep not only Smith but also wide receiver Dez Bryant long term.

Bryant, also coming off his first Pro Bowl season with the Cowboys, enters the final year of his contract. The team hasn't had any extensive contract talks with either players' representatives.

"We have spoken," Jones said. "I don't know that recognizing that you have a fifth-year option is negotiating -- that's what I'm getting into."http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...n-for-smith-is-possible?ex_cid=espnapi_public
  12. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Exactly. It should be around a 5m cap hit on a 6yr/72m deal with a 20m signing bonus and 36m guaranteed. Plus it's another year of being able to pro-rate the signing bonus. Paying him a straight 10.5m in salary would hurt the cap long term.
    CopenhagenCowboy likes this.
  13. casmith07

27,035 Messages
    2,434 Likes Received
    Not necessarily. With the way we've unloaded cap space, the cap hit might be (and hopefully will be) most sizable in the first two years, thereby making the deal team-friendly in the latter years rather than putting us in a precarious position for release/extension/signing of other players toward the end of the contract.
    Hoofbite likes this.
  14. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    he is so young Dallas no choice but to lock him up. I don't think there is a rush with Dallas basically having him for next two seasons. Dallas should see where Dez camp is before deciding on when to extend Smith. I think Dez will be much bigger problem in resigning.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,249 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    That would be my preference.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,496 Messages
    2,341 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  17. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,297 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    I don't know. I just read what Bryant agreed to as part of him staying out of trouble. Not many players would go for that. He might like the structure and restrictions and take familiarity over more money.
  18. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,304 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    It would be great if Bryant gave Dallas hometown discount but I just don't see it. Jeremy Maclin gave philly a discount because he bleeds green. I don't see Cowboy players having that burning loyalty.
  19. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,323 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    This is the type of deal at his age that you might do less of the typical sal cap tricks...he is likely to play through this contract.
  20. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,405 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    i do too. they can actually have him cheaper on an extension than the one year option. at his age you can afford to lock him up long ter and that will be much cheaper in the early years as they always are. i would rather sign him now than have to worry about being able to sign him next year and ending up having to tag him