1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Spagnola: Staff Unrest Precipitated By More Than Record

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by morasp, Jan 20, 2013.

1. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    Mickey Spagnola
    DallasCowboys.com Columnist

IRVING, Texas – You know how we always talk about that fine line existing between winning and losing in the NFL? How a play here, a bounce there, a penalty call on this or not called on that decides the outcome?

Well, does the same hold true for coaches holding their jobs? For things being either comfortable or uncomfortable these days out here at The Ranch?

Tell me this: Had the Cowboys finished 9-7, won the NFC East and let’s say lost a first-round playoff game to Seattle, much like Washington did, would the same coaching staff unrest out here still be taking place?

Or let’s say in that second New York Giants game, Dez Bryant’s fingertips landed in bounds instead of out of the back of the end zone and the Cowboys had won, again finishing 9-7, would Rob Ryan still be the Cowboys defensive coordinator?

Or how about this: What if Dan Bailey had connected on all four field-goal attempts that windy day in Baltimore instead of barely missing on the game-winner as time expired from 51 yards to beat a Ravens team good enough to advance to Sunday’s AFC title game and the Cowboys finished 9-7, would Skip Peete still be out as running backs coach?

Read more:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...n-Record/2e68ff52-9a0d-464c-8772-da8c1f87d299
  2. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

855 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    yea it would have matter,, to be honest i knew this team wasnt going to the super bowl but it would have been nice to make the playoffs any try. Instead of griping about how we would have lost any ways. This team hasnt made the playoffs since 2009. There is glory in wining your division and having satisifiction that against all the odds this team went through they still made a statement....those division banners are hung in the stadium
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,173 Messages
    2,800 Likes Received
    Obviously Ryan was a "bad seed".
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,775 Messages
    2,414 Likes Received
    Mickey let the cat out of the bag..............Jerry was pissed with no playoffs.

Garrett better make the playoffs next year or he is done.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    Did anybody note that he mentioned John Garrett to Tampa Bay? Interesting, because I haven't seen that written anywhere else.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    That's the company line, yes.
  7. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    Good eye. I scrolled right past that.
  8. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,901 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Spags makes some good points here. I'd add that watching Snyder host a playoff game with a rookie QB, when the Redskins were supposed to finish last, just set Jerry off.

Snyder stepped back, and is reaping the rewards. Jerry doesn't recognize that, of course.
  9. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    Oh, I think he recognizes it. He just doesn't care.

People seem to think Jerry is too stupid to realize he's the problem. I don't agree. I think he knows full well he's the issue, he just isn't about to put the good of the team over himself and his ego.

The Cowboys will win with him pretending to be an NFL GM or they'll go down with him. It's as simple as that.
  10. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,764 Messages
    384 Likes Received
    I really think that was a factor. There's kind of a rivalry between Jerry and Snyder. Even in bad years we usually beat the Redskins. This year we lost to them twice.
  11. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

803 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    yeah, as has been stated in the forum endlessly, you take money out of Jerry's pocket and he does not take this too kindly. I'm sure he was not delusional enough to think the Boys would win the SB....but I agree that if Garrett does not make the playoffs next year, he'll be in the arena league in 2014.

Better start catching up on the AFL rulebook, Jason. come to think of it, might be a good stocking stuffer. ;)
  12. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

958 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Could not agree more!!