1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Spags Ranch Report on Ellis (Transcribed)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 18, 2005.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    Question: Surprised by Ellis story in the newspaper?

Answer:
    Surprised that it showed up a month later.

It was pretty obvious during the last minicamp that Ellis probably wasn't feeling very secure about his spot because he wasn't in the lockerroom during those minicamp days and normally he's one of those guys that are talking to the media.

So it was pretty obvious that when he wasn't talking, he wasn't feeling real good about his situation. After the last minicamp practice walking off the indoor practice facility. Overheard a conversation between BP and Ellis and BP seemed to be giving Ellis a pep talk. Telling him so and so moved from this side to that side and really did well and I expect you can do that.

So no it didn't come out of left field, just that it took that long to surface. But I think Bill Parcells has got a big sales job on his hand. He's gonna have to sell guys like Ellis and Glover that this move to the 3-4 defense is not only good for the team and good for the individual.

Guys look at their own situation and look at their own money. While he signed a six year 24 mil extension a couple weeks into the '03 season, I'm he's looking at that $500k roster bonus due next year for his contract to continue. And I'm sure he's looking at that and wondering Gosh if they don't pay that then I'm out on the street looking for another job.

So he's looking down at the right side of the 3-4 and his main concern

What he has going for him is that his base salary next year is not that high. It's only 2.250m and add $500k and that's 2.75m for a guy who either is starting for you or playing 60% of the time. The team can afford that. I don't know if he has to worry about that as much as he has to worry about being there and being productive. Because at this point, they don't have anybody else to play that spot. You can't go into TC saying oh you got Chris Canty who could've been a 1st round pick. Is that eye gonna be ok? Is that knee gonna be ok? He's gonna be ready to start as a rookie in the season opener? So there's a spot for Greg Ellis and if it's my team there's always a spot for a Greg Ellis.

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/cowboys/demand/spagnola_071805.rm&proto=rtsp&rbnkey=1
  2. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the knuckleheads will suggest we move Glover to DE permanently, or perhaps the even more outlandish suggest that 7th rd pick Jay Ratliff can easily replce Ellis

:rolleyes:

The Mickeroo is 100% correct...trading or releasing Ellis aint gonna happen this yr

David
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,395 Messages
    2,993 Likes Received

Don't you know it's often the case when a 7th rounder can come in and kick the arse of a 1st rounder... and the guy that has led this team in sacks the last few years?
  4. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    in a certain someone's fantasy land mind, yeah that happens alot

kinda like trading for Ty Law or really believing that UDFA scrub Tony Romo is a better talent than Drew Henson

David
  5. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, the blow up supposedly occured the FIRST day of practice, didn't it?

But by the end of the minicamp, Tuna was back to 'coaching up' and way off 'threatening' mode. Convincing a worried player he can do it.

That's ALL I wanna hear.
  6. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I am not selling Ratliff short. All reports have been positives.

Ferguson was a late round pick himself.

But, I do see your point, he is going to have to be something special to unseat an established vet.
  7. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wont be surprised if Ratliff makes the team at all, but he isnt going to start at DE unless some people get hurt...somewhere in future seasons perhaps, but not anytime soon

David
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
  9. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i trust mick's response...he's around the team way more than me.
  10. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Now hopefulyl we can end of all of this Ellis was beinga man.....and how we need o trade hom for this or that.
  11. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Ellis and Glover are going to be here, because they are leaders and BP likes veteran leaders that he can depend on. Does he have to sell Ellis and Glover on this? YES! I am betting the thing that is annoying BP is that he feels he knows what is best for the team and the player, and the players are not trusting him. BP is not going to go into the season knowing he has put Ellis in a position to fail. This is a make or break season for BP. If this team does not improve, then his reputation will be hurt and his legacy and career could end on a down note. As he said, he is too old to lose. I really don't see this being an issue once training camp starts.
  12. rojan

rojan Active Member

1,486 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Since we are gettin the info a month late I wonder what had been gopin on @ te ranch the last month...Did anyone else have a heated aruement with Parcells, Why would Mick sound so cocky is sayin O that finally got out, why didnt you get it out to us the 1st day it happened u idiot. What are you scared of Parcells too.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    Too bad the story got out at all, there are lots of things that take place in the locker room and behind closed doors that will never get out and that is the way it should be. Every year I played sports 1 common all coaches had was the same old saying "What goes on behind these doors stays behind these doors" An incident like this benefits no one and can only create more problems as the media and talk shows will jump all over it keeping it a hot button issue.
  14. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received

MAybe becuse it was a closed doors metting, and what happened shoudl have never even gotten out?
  15. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    LTN, I'm with you 100%. This ends it for me anyway.

Let's look to the future and not the past anymore. Even with the question marks (that every team has by the way) there is a lot to look forward to the year. I for one am excited!
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,674 Messages
    4,944 Likes Received
    That should be all anyone needs to hear.

The flak that Parcells has been taking from this is equal to the tar and feathering that Ellis has had.

Thanks for taking the time to transcribe, WG.

Even though it is Spagnola, it is a little better than hearing from Taylor.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received

I agree with this.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    It was normally on the 1st day of training the every coach I had gave almost the identical speech about keeping our business behind closed doors. Although most of the time it was to keep parents out of the equation not the press. LOL
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,356 Messages
    613 Likes Received
    Not to mention little 'ol message boards...................
  20. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,771 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Some people are about as sharp as a marble. Greg Ellis is not going anywhere. BP like's character guys and Ellis leads the team in that department.

Don