SPARQ Rankings

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Alexander, Apr 16, 2017.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Benched

28,786 Messages
    3,314 Likes Received
    You said. Evidence? None.

2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

28,475 Messages
    21,068 Likes Received
    Even having them run it twice would improve the accuracy tremendously. The problem is that players that had good numbers in the 1st run would say they pulled a hamstring and not run the 2nd time.

I get more from times that are fast relative to expectations than times that are slow. Few few humans could run a 4.3 forty regardless of how many times they tried. Even if that player can only run 4.3 on 1 of 20 tries, you know that he can run a 4.3 forty on occasion.

On the slow side, I get less out of the data. If a CB runs a 4.6, then I don't know if he just had a bad day or if he is legitimately slow. It would be good to give those players an opportunity to run again. They do have the option to run at their Pro Day, but the conditions and the people doing the measurements are different. If the 4.6 player runs a 4.3 at his Pro Day, then I have to throw out the combine number and assume that he is somewhere between the 2 data points; however, if he runs a 4.55 then that does not tell me anything. The measurement error and track deviation could be the reason for that improvement.

It's surprising that with something where millions of dollars are involved, that they don't try just a little harder to have a more accurate process.

They could have another event at the same location as the combine, but without NFL teams and media in attendance where they just let the players run/jump again. It seems players with poor times originally, would show up if they were posting better times in training.

The other thing I expect to see eventually, is technology to measure the speed of players in practice or games. The technology is probably available now, but would need to be available in a user friendly application. It would be cool to watch game footage and be able to see instantaneous velocity and acceleration.

Trouty likes this.
  3. Dalmations202

Dalmations202 Active Member

286 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    JMO,
    I don't know why they won't just have time stamps to the hundredths on the tape being made and a computer determining their game speed and distance covered, etc. No real need to run at all in the pajama olympics. Get the real information from the film. Top speed, avg speed during the play, etc. Already you know the size of the field, the size of the player, etc. With the speed of computer calculations today, soon you should be able to determine top speed, etc all from the tape.

4. xwalker

28,475 Messages
    21,068 Likes Received
    There are some challenges to doing it accurately.

If a player is running at an angle across the field, then you can't use the yard lines to calculate his speed.

There are other variables. Game film cameras now zoom in/out and broadcast cameras move with the action and are in multiple locations.

I think it can be done, but it would take some work to make it consistently accurate.

Trouty likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

761 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I dont understand why they arent timed in full uniform? They shoud do the 40's on grass in full uniform to get a better idea of football speed imo.

6. Dalmations202

Dalmations202 Active Member

286 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    challenges....yes
    But they can give you splits, reaction times, etc on cars that do 300mph in a qt mile. It will just take adding a little technology and a little time to write the program. With as much money as football generates, I would suspect that "money ball" is coming to football sooner rather than later.

7. xwalker

28,475 Messages
    21,068 Likes Received
    It would be fun to someday have that info in real-time while watching games.

Trouty likes this.