1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Spartacus

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A co-worker told me that the first season was finished, so I had some free time and watched a little bit of the first episode yesterday.

I was a little surprised by some of the gore and nudity but this show looks to be a very good one.
  2. WDN

WDN Benched

426 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I watched the whole season and liked it. It is very graphic throughout each episode.

They say there is going to be another season but the actor that plays Spartacus is battling cancer right now. Its just delayed as of right now.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,048 Messages
    4,397 Likes Received
    The Splatter effects are over the top and of course there is plenty of nudity but that kind of reflects the roman time period (had the same type of stuff in the HBO series Rome).

The first episode was really not that good and if I would have quit watching it after that first episode I would have missed out on a show that really turned out pretty good.

As you watch more of the season I imagine you will like it a great deal and the season finale was pretty wild as well.

Don't expect the nudity and splatter/gore to slow down much as it seems pretty constant throughout the series.

One thing of note that might mess up the release of the next season...the guy that plays spartacus was diagnosed with some type of cancer condition, can not remember what the specifics was in his case....so he might be in treatment for some time. So I don't know if they will just delay shooting the next season or wind up having to recast his role.
  4. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, my co-worker said something about the producers are talking about doing a Prequel or something like that.

I actually liked the first episode and I had no problem with the gore and nudity :busty: . I just didn't realize that networks had gotten to the point of showing certain portions of the female body. I have normally seen it in foreign movies but nothing on like HBO or Starz.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,048 Messages
    4,397 Likes Received
    I have noticed that the HBO and Starz series have really went that route.

You had Rome, Spartacus, Diary of a Call girl, Tudors, Californication...some worse than others but each with a good amount of nudity and sexual situations in them.

Oh and if you are looking for another series to watch and have not watched the tudors, you might like watching those. I think the 3rd or 4th season just started.

Another series you might look into (although not with nudity) is BBC's Survivors. They are about done with the first season so you might be able to rent it soon. Pretty good show IMO.
  6. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nah, I quit on the Tudors a while back.

Just found out I have to share my cube with a consultant today. I was hoping to finish 'Sicko' and continue with 'WWII A Complete History' on my iPhone :laugh2: .
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,181 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    This is the only show you guys talk about that I've actually seen. I've watched two maybe three episodes. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I still have a hard time setting aside time to watch these types of shows. They have to be own when I sit down to watch TV and that isn't very often.

A big reason I watched it when I first saw it on is because I'm a fan of Roman times. I would probably watch one that was about ancient Egypt and the Pharaohs too.
  8. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,981 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    This is a show you definitely need to stick around for the entire season because to me and a lot of people who are NOW fans of the show it started off very slow but the storylines and character development pick up around the 4th, 5th show and it takes off for the good.
  9. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I download "all" shows that I watch and convert them to DVD and watch them when I have time. I never watch them when they are airing for the first time and usually don't watch a new show until that season is finished, so I can marathon them.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,097 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I'm enjoying it when I get the time. They do go WAY over the top on the gore and nudity though.
  11. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,812 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The graphic nudity/gore is over the top but it is entertaining but at the same time goofy kinda like True Blood....

I watch both :D
  12. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    See, I find it weird that people say it started off slow. I am on the first episode and the gore, fighting and lovely women (and ones with no clothes to boot :laugh2: ) started off with a bang.

I had the opposite impression from the first episode, that there would be a bunch of senseless violence with no character development.

I definitely can't wait for the Gladiator fights.

Unfortunately, Final Exams are next week, so I may not be able to watch as much this weekend.

Yeah, I have noticed that but it's not something I would stop watching the show for.

My co-worker (who is female) that works in Accounting had me laughing. She was like, "I have never seen so many men with such great bodies in one TV show before" :laugh2: .

I was like okaaaay, I know why you watch the show :laugh2: .
  13. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know one thing, it appears it was good to be a member of the Roman Aristocracy :laugh2: .

[IMG]
  14. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Which channel is this show on?
  15. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Starz
  16. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I finished the 1st season the other night.

Absolutely loved the show.

I actually enjoy the over the top blood splatter effects. The nudie dancing and interaction is also a plus. :starspin

[IMG]
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't know about prequel or not, but the story of Spartacus continues to their march to escape with Roman legions trailing them, and a final battle where Spartacus is killed.
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I always wanted to see Lucy Lawless topless when she was Xena the Warrior Princess. So I got to see it in Spartacus, and I was not impressed.
  19. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think she was saying they would do something like a Prequel, in case he isn't done with his Cancer treatment.

But as you stated, there is no question where the story will go, once he gets back.

Wow, I didn't realize that was Lucy Lawless as a red headed. Last time I saw her, it was on Battlestar Galactica.
  20. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spartacus's wife was attractive, but I figured once he became a slave and gladiator that she wouldn't be in the story anymore.