1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Speaking of Infidelity …

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 9, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,062 Likes Received
    Posted Friday, August 08, 2008 5:39 PM By Christopher Beam

Democrats can’t be pleased with John Edwards’ confession that he had an affair with Rielle Hunter. It tarnishes the Democratic brand just as they’re gearing up for their quadrennial coming-out party, and the only thing more conspicuous than Edwards’ presence will be his absence. And Edwards could have a Mark Foley-like trickle-down effect in down-ballot races, where negative/positive party associations matter most.

But the news is not all bad for Democrats. First, Obama is pretty much soaked in Teflon when it comes to family matters. Second, it could be a lot worse: What if Edwards had actually won the nomination? And third, it introduces marital infidelity back into the conversation.

Recall: John McCain returned to the United States from Vietnam in March 1973. His wife, Carol, had been in a near-fatal car accident while he was gone. She was overweight, on crutches, and 4 inches shorter than when McCain had left. McCain ended up divorcing Carol for Cindy Hensley, his current wife. Carol has remained mostly silent on her marriage to John, except for one notable comment to a McCain biographer: “John was turning 40 and wanting to be 25 again.”

There were legal complications, too. The Los Angeles Times reported in June that McCain obtained a marriage license while still legally married to his first wife. McCain suggested in his autobiography that he divorced Carol months before marrying Cindy. In fact, that period was about five weeks. He also said that for the first nine months of his relationship with Cindy, he still “cohabited” with Carol. Social conservatives were never McCain’s base, but yes, it could get worse.

For the most part, the media have politely skirted around this episode of McCain’s life. (Not to mention other unflattering moments.) For one thing, it’s long past. McCain has since developed a reputation for credibility and transparency. (Post-Keating Five, that is.) And, unlike Edwards, he told the truth about his deviance. "My marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity,” McCain wrote in his autobiography. “The blame was entirely mine."

But with Edwards’ infidelity front and center, that could change. In recent weeks, McCain’s ads have taken a turn for the personal, comparing Obama to vapid celebrities like Paris and Britney. Now Obama is coming under increasing pressure to retaliate. The Obama camp has never publicly raised McCain’s marital issues, nor would it. But insinuation, coupled with euphemisms about “trust” and “commitment,” can go a long way. In an environment filled with personal attacks on both sides, you can bet McCain’s past will become fair game. The Edwards news even gives McCain’s detractors a convenient pretext to raise the subject. So you heard about Edwards ditching his sick wife? Wait till you get a load of McCain …

Filed under: John Edwards, John McCain

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/trailhead/archive/2008/08/08/speaking-of-infidelity.aspx
  2. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Strange. On almost the same note, why don't I have a problem with McCain's ability to run based on his personal life--or his party affiliates?

Oh, that's right... because it's a non-issue.

Refreshing article, WG. :)
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    I think its because McCain never ran on what a good husband he was.

But thats exactly what Edwards did a few years ago.

Personally I think they are both POS.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    Oh WG, why bother? You know some posters will come and defend McCain's action and talk about how it is so different from what Edwards did.

That much I can gay-run-tee.
  5. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    The whole time while pointing fingers calling you "Kettle, kettle" and dirty words like partisan or a "blind" loyalist... :laugh2:
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, only a complete moron would think that McCain's and Edwards' peccadilloes are even remotely similar or that all affairs are "alike." You might as well compare Gitmo to Auschwitz. You really want to play that role?
  7. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    They are both equally sorry arses in regards to their personal lives, which has nothing to do how they can do their job--

McCain is down one, though, since Obama is a model character in this regard.
  8. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Oh, c'mon. These situations are so similar you can literally apply them to both candidates: They both cheated the women they married.
  9. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bull****. McCain didn't use his sick wife as a political prop. McCain didn't ask his wife and family to lie for him while seeking office. McCain didn't lie to the press and his constituents for over two years. McCain didn't ask his friends to bankroll his mistress. McCain didn't imperil his party's chances of reclaiming the White House. McCain came clean on his own; Edwards was outed by a sleazy tabloid. Still want to claim that Ed and Mac are two peas in a pod?
  10. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Yeah. McCain did, however, cheat on his wife. McCain is running for president. Meanwhile, Obama licks his chops and here come the backlash and damage control machine.

Am I getting what you're saying, that cheating on your wife is OK under certain circumstances?
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,204 Likes Received
    It's never okay.

Marriages do end. He's wrong to have started a new relationship before the first one was completely over.
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Um, I don't foresee McCain sponsoring infidelity ads against Edwards or Obama, so why would The Messiah be licking his chops? Let me say it again: Auschwitz was much much worse than Gitmo, and Edwards is much much worse than McCain. Not all prisons are alike, and that goes double for affairs. You see, those of us in the reality-based community are allowed to consider things like context. Then again, I'm arguing with someone who thinks that Bush and Cheney are worse than Saddam, so context ain't your strong suit.

Judging from your convo with Hos, that seems to be your line. You're a see-no-evil kinda guy.
  13. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You just proved Abe right with this comment.

They both cheated on their wife, period.
  14. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Care to explain why we have three degrees of murder, or are they all alike to you?
  15. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The article leaves out that McCain's new wife was filthy rich and was able to bankroll his early political runs.

Suggesting, however, that the media is covering up McCain's past is laughable, though. It's been hashed over time and again. It's old news. Everyone knows it.
  16. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    First of all, even with willie boy in the WH I never condemned for his infidelities so I have a clear conscience on this. But the left's never ending, "It's OK because this guy on the right did it" routine is old, tired and moronic.

What I had a problem with clinton was his lying under oath, thus preventing due justice for an American citizen.

Something by the way, he was disbarred for.

As for Edwards affair, I don't think it should be made public. It was a private affair (no pun intended) as long as it doesn't impair ones rights or recourse.
  17. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    if you make a promise to be faithful and you're not - you're not.

i really don't give a damn about who's the most trustworthy in this area once proven your own word doesn't mean anything to you.
  18. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Totally agree...my sentiments as well on the situation.
  19. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Couldn't have said any better than that.

Different degrees of infidelity....Geebus :rolleyes: !. The lengths people will go to defend their guy.
  20. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One more time: it's not "just" about infidelity; it's about the lying, the coverup, and the possible payment of hush money to the mistress. Yes, Virginia, there are different degrees of infidelity and other crimes. The battered wife who kills her abusive husband is not the same as a jealous husband stalking and murdering his ex-wife. According to your logic, since they both "murdered" someone, they should be looked upon as indistinguishable. If there are no extenuating circumstances or excuses for McCain, there are none for the wife.