1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

speaking of privacy laws... i hate the RIAA and AT&T now...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by iceberg, Mar 25, 2009.

1. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ic48b7a3a3eb3111d88fee45b0bf0558c

AT&T, Comcast Onboard With RIAA Anti-Piracy Program
    March 25, 2009 - Digital and Mobile

By Antony Bruno, Denver

Internet service providers AT&T and Comcast have confirmed their participation in an RIAA program designed to send account deactivation warning notices to subscribers suspected of uploading music to unauthorized P2P networks.

AT&T senior executive VP of external and legislative affairs Jim Cicconi and Comcast senior VP of external affairs and public policy Joe Waz discussed their involvement in the "graduated response" strategy during their appearance at the Leadership Music Digital Summit in Nashville. They defined the partnership as a "trial" designed to test reaction from customers, but offered no timeline for its completion.

The RIAA late last year said it would end its litigation campaign against individual file-sharing users in favor of a new strategy that enlists ISPs to police their networks. Under the plan, the RIAA would provide the ISPs with the IP addresses of users suspected of uploading music to unauthorized P2P networks, and the ISP would then send those users a notice informing them their account could be deactivated unless they stop.

At the time the RIAA said it was working with several ISPs on the plan, but declined to name them. AT&T and Comcast are not the first to detail their involvement. Last October, Cox Communications began sending similar notifications, warning users it may "temporarily disable" the accounts of users found to have shared copyrighted files.
    ----------

is this like getting caught speeding on the internet? at this point my hatred for the RIAA and their money grubbing artist screwing monkey clown old man can't use a keyboard ways, DO YOUR OWN LEGWORK!

to have my provider give a group NOT EVEN OF GOVERNMENT STATUS information that may or may not be correct infuriates me.

so, tonight i call direct tv, schedule to switch back. not sure what i can do about internet providers as i think they'll all cave on this, does anyone know if time warner has told 'em to bugger off?

is this even legal for an organization to do this?

trick, very interested in your viewpoint.
  2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ice it is a last desperate measure of the Music industry after years of going after individuals it had no effect they just became more efficient and that all that is going to happen with this.

They are getting desperate and I expect about 5 years they will be weaken to a state of who cares

that is we even have a country left since China owns us and will own the other half here soon as well
  3. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,844 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    I remember about 6 years ago I downloaded about 4000 songs from Napster, etc. I got a nice rock collection. At that time, they just started to go after people who downloaded music. I was scared. Luckily, they never got to me.

Now you don't even have to download the songs anymore. You can hear whatever you want, whenever on Jango, IMEEM, etc.

Or, just go to the library and rent the CD or DVD and copy it.
  4. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    you're both right. the RIAA is a dinasour refusing to die and while dying, taking down the industry with it.

the concept of owning a song will fade as you own rights to play it. i saw that coming when i got into renegaderadio.net and would love to find a way to lead this.

so my issue isn't with the RIAA for dying rather rudely.

my issue is with the cable providers willing to spy and turn info over to them.
  5. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,844 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    The cable companies gave up the info after a lot of arm twisting and threats from the music mfgrs. Give us the names or we will sue you and make you spend millions on legal fees.
  6. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    so can i sue for breaking my privacy rights?
  7. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    As the number of Internet users expands, the more difficult it will be to police. My issue in this sphere is the recording industry. They could have changed their business model to take advantage of this technology, but they stubbornly hold to their antiquated means of trying to control a developing art form. Truly innovative artists are using the net as a means of reaching a larger audience. Get on board or get out of the business.

As for the cable companies, the recording industry is thrashing about, making much noise, but I doubt their threats will be all that effective. If my service provider made noise about my habits, I'd tell them to take a hike. The business of providing access to the Internet is a competitive one. Piss me off and you lose me.
  8. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,423 Likes Received
    in this case for att they'll lose my internet business, and my entire u-verse setup.

i'm going back to directtv and timewarner likely next week.

totally agree. the riaa is fighting and they can't win this. it's only going to open up opporunities for a shift in the overall business.

it's coming. itunes will die as a short term solution and people will simply buy the right to listen however they choose. needing the physical will be an exception to handle.

radio for example, do i just need the physical song or can i log into a system and pull an unending playlist? a user can do that? then radio will have to take on an alternative means to succeed as well.