1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Speculation: Garrett quietly resisting offensive coordinator hire

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Gryphon, Jan 18, 2013.

1. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,191 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Chris Mortenson is not a credible guy, he reported a few weeks ago that Mariuccii was getting back into coaching and Mooch refuted it on the NFL network and said he did not know where Mort got that from.

So Mort is a lier, I would not believe anything he says, I never did anyway.
  2. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,347 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Actually Garretts play calling is based on the cowboys 90's team which was much superior in offensive talent in OL and most areas and executed much better. If he can get execution of the same scale his playcalling will be more successful, but he wont get that kind of superiority now. that is were his fault lies. If his team can't impose its will then he doesn't have alternatives, if they take what the opposition gives , they shoot themselves in the foot with untimely penalties ,drops , missing assignments , interception etc.. Moreover he doesn't call plays to make better use of the talent available.

Thats why I want an experienced playcaller ,in todays NFL, who could quickly adjust to the opposing defenses and plays to the strength of personnel.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    In what way is the play calling based on the play calling from the 90s team, exactly?
  4. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,047 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I don't believe the story is true because if YOU'RE the owner & GM, you say what's going to happen, and that's that.

If it's me, the conversation would go sort of like this.

Garrett, your offense ain't worth a poop, you can't win, the only way I keep you here is if you get a new play caller, with his own offensive play design. I'm not taking request at the time, just get it done or see your way out the door.

Case closed.
  5. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,454 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    All I know is Garrett is holding this team back. Normally when you are a midranking scoring offense, you would do something to get better. Unfortunately we've made no attempts to get any elite offensive coaching talents since Garrett has been here. Not a single one. We let Marty Morningweg sign with the Jets of all teams... Would have been perfect here. And he almost always has a top 10 offense.
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,402 Messages
    2,125 Likes Received
    Didnt you get the memo?

It was the defense holding back the great Garrett, no problems at all with the offense.

Or so I am told by a certain few posters on this site.
  7. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Yep, that's a fair question.

I have no issue at with the replacement of Ryan. I like the Kiffin hire more now that Marinelli is along. 4-3/3-4.....you still need reinforcements on the DL in either case. 4-3 might give a guy like Wilbur a better chance to succeed as I think he fits better in a 4-3.

I would like to know the plan for the move to a 4-3. I'd like to hear someone come out and say they felt the personnel fit was better or it was done due to Spencer's contract. Otherwise, it feels like making a change just to make a change which this franchise has done way too much of.

Back to your original question.....why no changes yet on the offensive side of the ball? I'll be really disappointed if the change is simply to let Callahan call plays or to swap out the RB coach. Garrett has had one dominant offense in his time here (2007) when he had Sparano as training wheels. Since, he's only shown the ability to field an offense that generates a lot of yards, but not a lot of points. He is pretty consistent there and if defense needed to be addressed, then offense certainly needs to be. A fresh voice from the outside, preferably a guy who has some skins on the wall in terms of game management and has shown an ability to adapt his offense to the personnel on the field, would be ideal.
  8. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    time to face reality. Garrett is aweful at play calling. And who's fault do you think it is that the offense doesnt execute? Maybe the head coach? Maybe the OC?

Little to no play action passing, only uses hurry up when we are down by 14 when its what Romo does the best, abondones the run game at the drop of a hat, little to no WR screens, crossing patterns, deep passes, ect...ect... Clock management is aweful, doenst throw the red flag when he should, yada yada yada......the list goes on and on.
  9. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,458 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    /discussion
  10. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,524 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    The past year those stats are from throwing like crazy late in the game to mount comebacks, so that stat is really not very impressive as much as a necessary evil due to failure for previous play calling and obvious lack of successful game planning. Stat in question is yardage gained, sorry.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I think that is what I was saying? I don't care about yards if they do not correlate to points.

Historically, you can go back and look at Garrett's offenses over the years and see that he has an ability to generate yards, but not points that correspond with those yards.
  12. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,140 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I never heard of a football coach quietly resisting anything before. How's he doing that? Is he sitting in a wheelchair pressing a bell with a nasty scowl on his face?
  13. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,191 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    This is true, I have been saying every since Garrett took over as the OC. His goal is to build another 90's type team. He has had the physical size but not the intelligence or the mental toughness, or the execution to make his play calling become successful.
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,854 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    *dingdingdingdingding* BOOM!
  15. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,831 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    You think if the Cowboys had a season like the Broncos just did, Jerry would fire the coach? That would be ridiculous IMO.
  16. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,378 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    The whole idea that Garrett is resisting anything that Jerry wants to do is ridiculous. Jerry has never allowed anyone to usurp his authority, not even Jimmy Johnson. If Jerry wants the Cowboys to have an OC calling plays, we will have an OC.

If we don't get an OC, don't blame Garrett.
  17. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,234 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    That's the way Marty got fired in SD after going 14-2 in 2006 and losing to the Patriots in the divisional round, it all depends on the circumstances but it could happen.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,686 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    This is a great post.