1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Speed runs (Video Games)

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by tupperware, Dec 16, 2010.

1. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Some of you video game freaks will love this. I'm a child of the NES/Atari era so a lot of this is stuff I fully remember, but this is a totally new spin on the games you thought you knew. I've known about speed running in games for years but just thought to post it here and share.

http://speeddemosarchive.com

Go check out Super Mario Bros for a good classic. They complete the entire game in 5 minutes :)
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    We used to have races who could complete the game the fastest. (Super Mario Bros) There were two warps that would basically take you to the end of the game. Level 1-2 I believe took you to level 7 and from Level 7 you could basically warp to the end of the game were you could finish the level and flip it.

I could swear we did it in far less than five minutes though.
  3. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Perhaps if that's a possible glitch, didn't know it was. I'm not sure how I could beat the guys performance though, he never stops running throughout the entire game. Check out the lost levels edition they did. The lost levels are 10x harder than the regular game.
  4. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I went and watched the vid, that was the way we used to do it. He used two warps to get to the final stage. Thats how we did it.

There was the trick I believe on 7-2 where you could get tons of extra lives on the turtle that was coming down the stair.
  5. tupperware

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Yeah I remember that glitch. Just not sure I could duplicate his runs exactly. It's the world record for a reason I suppose.
  6. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I could do it, but then again; I'm nyc. :D
  7. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    i love this stuff, there is a speed run for one of the resident evils thats pretty good, the ones from super mario world is amazing to me cause i spent half my childhood beating that game
  8. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,220 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    I don't remember the collision detection being anywhere near as forgiving as in that 5:00 Mario Bros. run. I recall (and it's been awhile) that getting that close to the plants would have been a sure death.
  9. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,889 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    2-1 took you to 4-1, 4-2 took you to 8-1

I played SMB so much as a kid that i still 20+ years later remember all those levels in detail :eek::