1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Spencer - New contract or not?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Mar 30, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,464 Likes Received
    If you can sign him to a friendly deal that allows the club to let him go in 2 or at most 3 years then sure you do it. He'll play until he's 33 or 34 no problem barring injury.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    sure. Once every six years he gets double digits. Other then that its a steady 6 per year
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    He doesn't deserve a huge contract... Along the lines of a Kruger or Dumervil or honestly slightly less would be great.
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,527 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    I don't see the reason for signing Spencer long term, I would be fine with letting him play out this year. He is over paid at 10 million but we have enough room now to sign a player or two and all the draft picks. No reason to resign Spencer long term.

Same with cutting Free. I see no reason to release Free June 1st for money. As for play, yes, he doesn't deserve to be that cap hit but we do not need the extra space this year, I would rather keep Free to battle Parnell and not have the 7 million dead money hit next year.
  5. HomerSimpson31

HomerSimpson31 Member

129 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I'd trade Spencer also. I think we could get a nice pick for him right now. I also look at he along with Ware is 30 and we need to get younger. I'm not saying trade Ware but I don't see shelling out a big load of money for Spencer when we've got so much invested in Ware. I'd rather get some extra picks and build the line along with the offensive line in the draft. We'e already going to have to pay out the butt soon for Dez Bryant.
  6. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    pretty much this with the caveat that he shouldnt have been tagged originally, and i like Spencer as a player but learning to walk away is a lesson we NEED to learn.
  7. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    I brought this up in another thread. I think the Romo deal lessens any urgency to strike one with Spencer and that Dallas would be OK playing him on the franchise tag rather than meeting his demands.

If those demands come down enough, then I'd have no problem with Dallas getting him on the cheap (relatively speaking), but I also have no problem with having him play out the tag to show whether he's a Pro-Bowl defensive end or just a guy at the position.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Personally, I'm still hoping for a trade. Maybe on draft day but still doesn't look all too promising.
  9. Q_the_man

Q_the_man Active Member

2,337 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just saying it's harder to get a sack at LOLB or LDE just because the QB can see you coming and get rid of the ball. I would trade Spencer for a second in a New York minute....
  10. fishspill

fishspill Well-Known Member

1,120 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I wouldn't do a deal at this point. I like Spencer as a player, but not enough to see how the draft plays out. If I have a Werner fall to me in the 1st, I start calling around to see if I can get a 4th or 5th for him. I think the lack of contract and the fact that draft picks are never more valuable than during the draft minimizes his value. I don't even know the rules for trading franchised players and what it means for both sides so it may be a moot point. In any event, his contract has to be carefully done with an eye on future expiring contracts that mean much more to this team.
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,451 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    If we find a replacement on draft day like Werner and we can't find a trading partner for Spencer we can still untag him and cut him. Just because we tagged him doesn't mean we cannot get rid of him. Same with Free, if we find a RT on draft day he's gone.
  12. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Your some what right, but remember that in the 3-4 Ware and Spencer do have to play coverage at times. It would be different if they just lined up as a DE exclusively.
  13. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    He signed his offer, so Dallas can't cut him. It's either renegotiate, trade him or pay him the tag money this season. (Well, I guess they can cut him, but they'd still have to pay him.)

I'd go with the tag money since Dallas can afford to carry it. If he's playing great during the season, then Dallas can enter serious negotiations.
  14. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,467 Messages
    2,887 Likes Received

Agreed............let him play the season out at DE and lets see if he is going to be worth a new contract in a new defensive scheme. For all we know, he could totally suck at DE and if we give him a contract first, then we are screwed.

Wither you think Romo deserved his contract or not, at least you have a known commodity with Romo, you know what you got and what he can do. We have no idea what Spencer can do at DE, he has not played that postion since college.

So this is not the same situation we were in with Romo, so it would be smart to see what we got with Spencer at DE before we pay him a king's ransom.
  15. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    They can only work out an extension until July 15th. After that he is locked in for the year at 10.6m. His tag for 2014 would be 15m. I would rather sign him to a 5 yr deal that easily converts to 3 years for around 7-8m a year. Obviously if he wants more he won't sign an extension, but the market for big name DEs was pretty flat this year. He signed the tag this year very early, so he apparently didn't like the looks of the FA market.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    Yes, you can't "untag" him. This issue has been discussed Ad nauseam.
  17. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Spencer is an unknown.... But Crawford is just as good.

Lol....

This board... officially has reached espn status.
  18. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wouldn't we have more leverage after the contracts Avril, Bennett and Umenyiora got?
  19. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    the reality and history of the nfl shows that thinking is wrong. it does'nt happen
  20. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,169 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Yes, have him play out another year under the tag, because that worked out so well for ud ladt year.