1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Spencer - New contract or not?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Mar 30, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,421 Messages
    1,800 Likes Received
    Didn't he have a career year last year?
  2. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member

2,002 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    He was our best player on defense so I'm not sure I understand the sarcasm
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    I think Dallas is working on getting Spencer deal done so that they can remove the Franchise Tag. Stephen has talked about it just as he talked of getting Romo done and in the end I think they will get a deal done with Spencer
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    True but a new deal has to be in place by mid July or else the Franchise Tag remains for the season. I'm pretty certain the Cowboys will get a deal worked out with Spencer now that the Romo deal is done.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,985 Messages
    4,152 Likes Received
    I would not give him another contract. We need to get younger. Not pay two DE's in their 30's big money.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,083 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    This.

Spencer is a necessary expense this year but the Cowboys should not try and reward him with a new contract if he does not sign one before the beginning of the season. The Cowboys need to get younger.
  7. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,950 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    Even if they are 2 of the best DEs in the league. The over 30 argument is just an arbitrary construct.
  8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,322 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Forgot about that part. I'd still carry him with the tag, though, and determine after this season if he's worth keeping around as a defensive end.

For all we know right now, Kiffin might have to rebuild this defense in his image. There's no reason to lock up Spencer if major changes are going to be needed to get the 4-3 reestablished in Dallas.

(Now, I believe the parts are in place for the transition, but that doesn't mean it will turn out like I or even Kiffin expect.)
  9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,193 Messages
    585 Likes Received
    If we have the option, I'd like to see him in the new scheme before making any lasting decisions.
  10. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,950 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    Where? The secondary and LBs are very young. The DL is veteran, but loaded with talent. The WRs are young, so is the OL. The RBs are very young and the QB is 32. Witten is a vet, but very productive. They are getting a lot better at drafting and after this year could have a very solid, young core.
  11. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Member

323 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Exactly.