1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Spencer's Career Season Will Warrant Big Free-Agent Dollars

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, Jan 1, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – Before this season, Anthony Spencer had never garnered more than 6.5 sacks. He hadn’t made a Pro Bowl and more importantly, he had never been a consistent player the Cowboys expected when they drafted him in the first round in 2007.

And then came the contract year. Or the second one, actually.

But even though Cowboys’ fans scratched their heads with puzzled looks when the club issued the $8.8 million franchise tag to Spencer, the sixth-year pro has actually proved to be worth every penny of it this year.

And he’s about to earn a few more pennies, probably on a long-term basis here in the future.

Will it be with the Cowboys? That’s an interesting question and one that likely won’t have real answers for a while.

On one hand, you can say Spencer is well worth a long-term contract probably in the neighborhood of $40-50 million over six or seven years.

However, the Cowboys will be up against the salary cap yet again and re-signing him, especially with Tony Romo possibly getting a new deal as well, could make it hard for the Cowboys to dole out a worthy contract for Spencer.

While Spencer will likely test the free-agent market in March, the Cowboys could always give him the franchise tag once again to retain his negotiating rights.

Regardless where he signs, Spencer has earned a big contract with a career season of 11 sacks. And the honors might not be over for Spencer, who ranked fourth in the NFC in sacks and quite possibly could be an alternate for the Pro Bowl roster.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...e65?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  2. dwight

dwight Active Member

852 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    I was against Dallas keeping him, but I was wrong.

He should get a new contract but I'm concern about his age now.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Same here.

The money and the age are a scary combination.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,293 Messages
    2,716 Likes Received
    I wish we could let him go and get a cheaper alternative but I'm not certain we can. I'm not certain we should.
  5. Coakleys Dad

Coakleys Dad The Re-Birth has begun.

4,831 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Franchise one more year. Draft D-line.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I`d let Spencer go and focus on bringing in a younger player at OLB. I`d be okay with going with Albright, Butler, Wilber or Bruce Carter there next year plus a draft pick. I think his production is about to decline markedly after having nearly double his average sack production this past year. He just isn`t a 10M per year player in this league but he is a 7M per year player. I would be fine with letting someone else overpay him and move on. It is far more important for us to focus on where we will be longterm than signing Spencer to help us for the next couple of years before he goes into steep decline.

We already have Ware falling apart on us on one side as father time catches up with him. I don`t want to get caught with two ailing 30 year old OLBs with not much behind them. I would rather spend that money on a young pressure player at LB or DL in FA than spend the money on Spencer coming off of a career year.

We need to focus on the future more than just focusing on 2013. If we can consistently put out quality teams that make the playoffs we`ll have a better chance of winning a SB than loading up contracts to take a shot in a single year. That is what we would be doing if we signed Spencer to a megadeal.
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,944 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I can argue both ways... I expect Dallas to retain him though.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    I think it gets addressed in the first round of the draft. So many good pass rushers available this year.
  9. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

911 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    He had a pretty good year. I still think I would pass. Or maybe sit on his rights and try to trade him.

I just get the feeling this is going to be another one of those Doug Free/Marion Barber/Jay Ratliff/Miles Austin contracts. Gets the money and the production just disappears.
  10. StarMan

StarMan Active Member

988 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    This. I have a feeling Spencer will quit once he gets paid. Franchise him again.
  11. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,674 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    if Bruce Carter is an option, i would be for that, it would be alot easier and cheaper to find ILB.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,197 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    I would consider the idea of trading him if at all possible. He has had a great year but he's going to get a long term deal for consideral cap and I just don't think that's the way to go. I don't begrudge him the money but the reality is that we probably can't afford to keep him.

The other issue, I believe, will be Ware. I see Ware as a career Cowboy and as such, I think it's wise to consider his long term future with the Cowboys. He is getting older and has had several injuries that had slowed him down considerably in the past two seasons. It might be wise for us to consider mobing him to the other side of the formation and drafting a younger, quicker ROLB. This would probably extend Ware's career a bit and would certainly allow him and advantage over most, if not all RTs in the NFL. Time could be split with him on the Left side between some of the LOLBs we currently have on the roster to spare him ware and tear against obvious running situations.

I'm not saying that we will do this but to me, this might be a wise course of action. Would be a lot easier on our long term cap if we could figure out a way to trade Spencer and draft a replacement IMO.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,682 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    Has Carter ever been an edge rusher?

Putting him there means wasting a lot of his speed and athleticism. Keep him and Lee in the middle and work out.
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

............BIG TIME agree: we can do it for one more year so why NOT? Then he'll be gone at 30 yrs. of age, so what? Problem solved...DON'T use it on Jenkins and I don't think they will because he's injury prone and has NO heart.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,923 Messages
    3,869 Likes Received
    Sign him. He's too good to let walk, and he's been a good player since the day we drafted him; we should have signed him a year or two ago and avoided the (now) obvious premium.
  16. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I'm not totally on the (as long as Jerry is gm we won't win). But if we give spencer a long term deal we are a clown franchise. He used us for 4 years and well use him for 2. THEN he can go get his payday elsewhwere.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,976 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    Franchise him and then negotiate.