1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Spike Lee for Obama, sees "Chocolate City"

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by irvin88, Jun 20, 2008.

1. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spike Lee backs Obama, sees "Chocolate City"

SILVER SPRING, Maryland (Reuters) - Director Spike Lee, whose movies often cast a sharp eye on U.S. racial politics, predicted a presidential victory for black Democrat Barack Obama that would mark a "new day" for the United States.

"It's going to be before Obama, 'B.B.,' and after Obama -- 'A.B.' -- and some folks need to get used to this," Lee said. "And I'm going to be at the inauguration -- getting my hotel reservation now."

The director of films including "Do The Right Thing," and "Malcolm X," spoke on Thursday evening at the Silverdocs film festival outside Washington. The festival is one of the major showcases for nonfiction films.

Silverdocs honored Lee for his documentaries including "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts," about Hurricane Katrina, and the Oscar-nominated "4 Little Girls," about the fatal 1963 bombing of a black church in Birmingham, Alabama, a milestone in the civil rights movement.

Lee said that like Katrina in 2005, the levee breaches now flooding the Upper Midwest were a sign of misplaced priorities by the national government. "That's going to change, though," he said. "We need a real Chocolate City," an apparent reference to the prospect of the United States under Obama, who would be the first U.S. black president if elected in November.

The term "Chocolate City" has been used affectionately by African-Americans to refer to Washington and other predominantly black cities, and was the title of a 1975 album by the funk band Parliament. Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin was criticized for racial divisiveness after Katrina for urging residents to rebuild a "chocolate New Orleans."

Lee later explicitly endorsed Obama, as someone who would set the right course. "It's not an if ... he changes the world. He changes how the world looks at the United States," Lee said.
  2. Chinfu

Chinfu Member

195 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spike should probably take Clint's advice.
  3. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Again, the only thing that will be different if Barack Obam wins is that you will have a Black President.

It would be a very big deal, I don't think anyone can deny that. However, people need to stop acting like it will be the return of "The Messiah" and all the ills of the world will be suddenly fixed, if Barack Obama wins the election.

I hate to see people pin so much hope in a "politician". I wasn't born, but I bet it was just like when JFK was running for office.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,886 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,133 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    Now that is plainly racist but who is going to point that out in the media?

But then Spike Lee has shown that he has been a racist for a long time so does it matter?
  6. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,596 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    If black people are racist it is quite OK, Burmafrd, but when white people say something like that it is the start of the million man march. With Barack, its only going to get worse.
  7. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    that is why he won't get elected. Silent majority.
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spike Lee is a pinhead, and if he wants to help Obama get elected, the best thing he could do is keep his fool mouth shut...

He makes some interesting movies, though...
  9. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    most/all of them suck.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,133 Messages
    1,277 Likes Received
    I have seen every movie Spike Lee has made and none of them are all that at all.