1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sportscaster Jim McKay dies at 86

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Duane, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Total greatness as an announcer...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080607/ap_on_sp_ot/obit_mckay

NEW YORK - Jim McKay, the veteran and eloquent sportscaster thrust into the role of telling Americans about the tragedy at the 1972 Munich Olympics, has died. He was 86.

McKay died Saturday, said ABC, the network with which he was long affiliated. The cause of death was not immediately given.

McKay was host of ABC's "Wide World of Sports" for decades. The influential weekend series introduced viewers to all manners of strange, compelling and far-flung sports events.

But he was suddenly placed in the role of a newscaster in 1972 when Israeli athletes were kidnapped in Munich. As viewers followed the gripping story, McKay told how the hostages were killed in a commando raid.

McKay was the father of Sean McManus, president of CBS News and Sports.
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was pretty much appointment television if you were a child of the 70s. Remember when you could watch boxing for free? And it was McKay who voiced the "thrill of victory, agony of defeat" line. Thanks for entertaining us, Jim.
  3. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. DallasFanSince86

DallasFanSince86 Pessimism Sucks

2,056 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was a great Sportscaster.

He will be missed.

RIP Jim McKay.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I always tuned in to see the Globetrotters

R.I.P. To a sportscasting legend
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    Sports has not been the same since ABC's Wide World of Sports went belly up. It seems to have lost a lot of it's impact in a way. The constant variety of sports.

Superstars, the Harlem Gobetrotters, Evel Knieval, boxing back when it actually mattered, the footage of that poor ski jumper and Jim's voice. He truly did span the globe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TFWt_Dt4ces

Adios Mr. Mckay and thank you so much for the memories.
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They always pitted the World Series champs against the Super Bowl champs. How bizarre it was to watch Tony Dorsett and Pete Rose in a bicycle race. Still, it was less cheesy than "Battle of the Network Stars."
  8. FanSince61

FanSince61 Thanks for the memories Dandy

865 Messages
    18 Likes Received
  9. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,141 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    Didn't they also have Dallas/Pittsburg in one of the Superstars team events?
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Jim McKay dying is like a piece of my childhood dying.

There was nothing like Wide World of Sports when I was a kid.
  11. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    Brent Musburger (sp?) said it best when he was interviewed by CBS News today. Musburger said that (paraphrasing), "Jim McKay understood that the stories of the athletes were bigger than the broadcasters themselves".

A lot of these ESPN or ESPN wannabe sportscasters couldn't even begin to match the stature of Jim McKay. He was a professional. So many of the sportcasters of the last 20 years are amateurs in comparison.

R.I.P. Jim McKay. You will be missed by those of us who know the difference between so-so, good and true greatness.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    Blame MTV and all the idiots who think it was so great. that is what started the whole mess with BSPN. Its been all downhill since. I find it hard to watch any sports program anymore because the announcers or the MTV blinded hacks that work the technical side just plain destroy it.