1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Spurrier: Bama can beat NFL teams

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by viman96, Nov 1, 2012.

1. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,543 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Steve Spurrier may not have been a good fit in the NFL. However, the ol' ball coach says Nick Saban and powerhouse Alabama have what it takes to compete at the highest level.

"Alabama, gosh, they look like they could beat a couple of those NFL teams that I've watched on Sundays," Spurrier said Wednesday on "The Dan Patrick Show." "I think a lot of the oddsmakers out there that usually know what's going on, I'd guess Alabama would be favored by a little bit."

Spurrier's notion that Alabama would be favored over a pro team is not shared by oddsmakers in Las Vegas. According to RJ Bell of Pregame.com, the Crimson Tide would be a 24-point underdog against the 1-6 Jacksonville Jaguars on a neutral field.

Article
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    No they can't... stop that nonsense...
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,945 Messages
    4,498 Likes Received
    I'd have to see that interview. He's a funny guy. That was likely tongue in cheek. Or he's gone off his rocker.
  4. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,449 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    And that's exactly why he failed in the NFL because he has oatmeal in his head
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,891 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    He's obviously making a point about the talent at Bama. No reason to read anything more into it than that.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    I don't see how Spurrier could make claims about what it takes to beat an NFL team seeing he never figured it out himself.
  7. CowboysFanSince88

4,449 Messages
    185 Likes Received

Wasn't he the one with the RUN and GUN offense? LOL
  8. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I'd still like to see the best college against worst nfl team.
  9. CowboysFanSince88

4,449 Messages
    185 Likes Received

The good point they made on First Take today was that even though the Chiefs and Jags stink, no matter how good Alabama is you would still have teens playing against men in the late 20's and 30's.
  10. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd love to make the Pro-Bowl a mix of NCAA All-Americans and NFL players, just to make it interesting. Or do like they did in the old days, NCAA All-Americans versus one of the Pro-Bowl teams. The college kids would probably actually try and win as opposed to the Pro Bowl slop we've grown accustomed to.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,906 Messages
    1,372 Likes Received
    I'm sure this was meant more as a remark about just how good Alabama is and not a serious comment by Spurrier.

I believe that guy has to know, first hand, how much faster the NFL. How much bigger and stronger those guys are.

This would be no contest. Alabama would be run off the field.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,087 Messages
    1,938 Likes Received
    They'd get crushed.
  13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,172 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    you must like blow outs and uncompetitive games. Even if you take the Bama team from 2010, the one with Julio Jones, Trent Richardson and a few other first round talents, you would see a blow out with possibile a few big plays from Julio, Trent and who ever.
  14. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I remember when they had an annual game between the College All-Stars and Super Bowl (NFL Championship) winner. The College All-Stars actually won a handful of those games before the NFL became the pinnacle of football talent as we know it today. They stopped playing the game due to lack of interest in the mid-70's. I believe the Steelers were the last SB winner to participate.
  15. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I want to know why the NFL won't make the pro bowl a skills competition.
  16. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,543 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Bama and any other college team would be hammered. Any given year how many NFL players on a college roster? How many All Americans or whatever high honor for college players on any given college team? NFL rosters are filled with these type of players. NFL players are bigger, faster and stronger. Any NFL team's OL and DL would crush college teams.
  17. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,940 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Exactly... Alabama has a LOT of good players...

I would be willing to bet that over 90% of every NFL roster is filled with former All-State, All-Conference and All-Americans...
  18. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,682 Messages
    314 Likes Received

I think it is safe to say that now.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,386 Likes Received
    I saw where Pete Carroll called total bs on this comment. He said some used to say that about his USC teams and never bought it then either. He said the giant difference is in the trenches--where it would be grown men vs still growing boys.
    And of course the obvious, which is that NFL teams have college stars sitting on the becch on every team in the league. Star Alabama QB's (McElroy for example) often can barely make the end of the bench all NFL teams.

You have to assume that Spurrier was knwoingly exaggerating to make a point of Alabama talent.
  20. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Good ole Stevil Superior