1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: SS Roy Williams on his love of the game, safer techniques, and his legacy...w/audio Post #6

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 28, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,386 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez
    Roy Williams says his love of game changed after all the NFL rules changes. Ironically, now USA Football advocate for safer tackling

Roy says his own personal feelings are secondary to teaching safer tackling techiques and helping kids who play football.

Roy says he loves "football to death." Just found it difficult adjusting to new rules after being taught old-school tackling techniques

Roy says he wants his legacy to be helping others & doing things like missionary work in Africa more than football career. Love to hear that
  2. WoodysGirl

63,386 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
  3. nathanlt

nathanlt Well-Known Member

1,964 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Roy Williams #31 was a terrific player, and he made some terrible years of the Cowboys worth watching. He is the last of the special "enforcer" line of Dallas Cowboys.

The original enforcer, Bob Lilly, #74
    The Manster, Randy White, #54
    The Silent Terror, Larry Allen, #73
    The last enforcer, Roy Williams #31

With the new rules, there will not be another like these 4
    They made you chuckle when they laid the wood on opponents, that's what made them all special.
  4. CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver Active Member

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Funny, but pretty sure there were articles early in his career where he said he didn't really love football and only played it because he was good and that he didn't intend to play for long.
    mrmojo likes this.
  5. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

2,993 Messages
    355 Likes Received
    Too bad there's not alot of players like Roy Williams anymore, professional football is a hard sport, probably harder than back in the day. But atleast back then the players would get hit and not cry about it.
  6. WoodysGirl

63,386 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Reality likes this.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

46,930 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    When you say Roy Williams, a bad image pops in my head with the way his career ended. And I'm talking about both the WR and S.
    CowboyDiver likes this.
  8. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Guy made a living out of taking cheap shots on unexpected victims. No doubt about it, they were entertaining to watch during his hay day.
  9. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I am pretty sure his spark left the second the ugly one from Destiny's Child ran off with his manhood.
    Future and laythewood28 like this.
  10. mrmojo

mrmojo Active Member

734 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    I never got the feeling he loved the game too much. His decline was drastic where he couldn't make plays like he used to. For some reason he started playing uninspired and it derailed what could have been a great career.
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,588 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    It was almost like he loved the big hits more than he loved the game itself.

Still, that guy was a dominating player for a couple years, and a pretty good one for several. That hit on Amani Toomer on the sidelines, and the one that broke Emmitt's collar bone when he came back accidentally wearing a Cardinal uniform were a couple of the most brutal hits I've ever seen.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,263 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    There is no way that Roy Williams should ever be mentioned on the same post as those great players. It makes the whole post smell.
    khiladi likes this.
  13. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,480 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I've always loved Roy since his days at OU. Heck, he's the second part of my username.

When he was in his prime, he was one of the top two or three defensive players in the league, and he was the greatest thing about the Cowboys for a few years. His hits were so much fun to watch. Dude made 5 Pro Bowls, finished second one year in DMVP and his devastating hits were regular highlights on ESPN. I hope history will shed a positive light on him and his hardhitting ways and not focus on his latter years when his reputation as a coverage safety took a hit. On top of all that, he's a really good dude as well.
    Future likes this.
  14. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,480 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Those players are definitely better, but if you are talking about all-time Cowboys "enforcers" or hard-hitters (like that poster was), then Roy should absolutely 100% be mentioned with those guys.
    dffl11 and Mansta54 like this.
  15. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

6,979 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    No mention of Captain Crash??? Or even Erik "Big Nasty" Williams?
  16. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,466 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    He wasn't as good a Darren Woodson was during that same time for his first 2 or 3 years. Woodson may still be the best safety in Cowboys history although you could argue some of the guys of the 70s. Roy is still the best safety we've had since Woodson, and it's really not even close.
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,263 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    There are many more that was known for their hitting that should be included before Williams. He was good up until the NFL figured out that his coverage sucked. His hitting ability was good for a couple of years. The other players listed made a career by being big hitters. Cliff Harris made a career hitting and played safety like Roy. He was good enough to to it for his entire career though. Harris was a much better player at the same position and is worthy of being in a post with those other guys.
  18. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,625 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    This is sooooooo incorrect and false. Cheap shots my arse, the guy could flatout lay the hammer down. He had the ability to explode into a player with precise timing to blow them up. That cheap shot stuff is pure crap.
  19. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    He even went head hunting in the Pro Bowl. Not cool.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,336 Messages
    999 Likes Received
    Bull.

If you are referring to the hit on Todd Heap...he let up. RW was a lot of things, dirty was never one of them.
    EMMITTnROY likes this.