1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: In his own words: DeMarcus Ware at his Denver Broncos presser, thanks Jones, Parcells for...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Mar 12, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

29,640 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    DeMarcus Ware quotes from his Denver Press Conference

Opening comments

“First of all, I just want to thank God and Mr. [Jerry] Jones and [Bill] Parcells and the Cowboys organization for drafting me, for giving me this opportunity just to enter into the league. For Mr. Jones for gracefully letting me go out into the market and really choose where I could finish my career. I really want to thank him for that. I really want to wish my former teammates and coaches and just the Cowboys good luck on their season. I thank John Elway and Coach [John] Fox and [Owner] Mr. [Pat] Bowlen and the Broncos organization for this great opportunity. I’m really excited about it. I’m shaking right now. Just shows how ecstatic I am about this opportunity. Just being able to play with guys like [QB] Peyton Manning and [T Ryan] Clady and ‘BayBay’ (WR Demaryius Thomas). You can go down the list—[WR] Wes Welker—just the tradition that the Broncos have. Just being part of the tradition, it feels really good to be part of that. I’m going to do everything in my will to bring that leadership here to this organization, but also I know there were shortcomings last year with the Super Bowl. We’re not trying to have that happen again. I’m looking forward to doing everything I can to not let that happen. I just want to say thank you to the organization, again, for this opportunity. Thank you.”

On how much his injury affected him last season

“The first few games it was fine. I had four sacks in the first two games. Then it started getting a little bit worse and it was more like an older nerve. Sort of like when you sort of hit your funny bone every single time. So going against a tackle, it was pretty painful, but I got through the season with it. Now, I had the surgery. I don’t have that feeling anymore. I feel really good about it and I’m just glad that it’s behind me now.”

On why he chose Denver

“When you think about where God puts you and an opportunity where you sort of have no choice, I felt like, for me, being part of an organization—meaning if you think about the Cowboys, now what organizations are out there that tailor to that or are the same as that organization? I feel like the Broncos were that. I feel like what they’re bringing to the table, what they’re doing with this organization, it’s a perfect fit for me. Playing with a guy like [LB] Von Miller—they like to rush the passer. Some of the things that they have missing, and it was a main thing, was having a pass rush and being able to hold teams to low points so Peyton can do his thing. I feel like it’s perfect for me to come here, and that’s why I feel like it was a perfect fit.”

On seeing CB Aqib Talib on his flight to Denver

“Just their mentality is a ‘now’ mentality. A mentality of, ‘I’m not looking forward to the next season or the season after that—the time is now.’ So when I looked back there in that back seat and I see Talib, I’m like, ‘You know what? They’re trying to get the job done.’ When I see them signing a guy like [S T.J.] Ward, they’re trying to get the job done. They’re trying to get these lockdown corners so the pass-rush up front can really create havoc out there. Seeing what they’re doing, now I feel even more comfortable even being here doing that with where they’re trying to be and where they’re trying to have their defense and what they’re trying to mold.”

On playing alongside LB Von Miller

“When Von first came in, before he got drafted, I talked to him a little bit. I’ve been mentoring him. Being able now to have the opportunity to play with him is a whole different thing. I’ll be in the same locker room with him, being able to teach him some things. I’m looking forward to that opportunity. I just think that it’s going to be great.”

On playing at 4-3 defensive end versus 3-4 outside linebacker

“It’s the same mentality. To me, I played last year standing up or down, there were four down linemen or it was a 3-4. I feel like it’s the same position. You’re outside containing for the run, making sure everything goes inside. You’re always going to be a pass-rusher, standing up or down. So you’re still doing the same things. Scheme-wise it’s a little bit different, but at the end of the day you’re doing the same job.”

On what the way the Seahawks played in the Super Bowl told the rest of the NFL

“When you think about defense, the motto has always been ‘Defense wins championships.’ You can see a lot of teams that maybe have a mediocre offense but their defense is really good—they get good field position, they get more turnovers, short fields, so they’re able to still score points and get the job done and make the playoffs and make the Super Bowl. Now you flip that around and you can see when Seattle played the Broncos, you had a guy like Peyton who can score points and get all that done, but the Seahawks defense can really create havoc and sort of stop guys from doing what they do best. So (the Broncos) turned around and said, ‘You know what? We’re fixing to beef up our defense. We’ve got our offense, now let’s go and get our defense right. Because we know we’re a contender.’”

On the last 24 hours after being released from the only franchise he’s known

“It’s been pretty difficult. But you sort of think about just in general all the things that you go through, where you start your career at. You’ve got to be ready for change, because that’s what this league is about. It’s about change. It’s ‘Not For Long,’ right? NFL. So now I’ve got an opportunity sort of for a rebirth. Now I’m part of the Broncos organization.”

On whether he was flying to Denver to sign or just take a visit

“Actually, I came here for a visit to see what they had to say. But one of the more enticing things was looking back behind me and seeing Talib on the plane with me. The crazy thing was I didn’t even know who he was, because I wouldn’t think he’d be on the plane. So we were walking through the airport and he was like, ‘Man, I’ve got to put my clothes on. I’ve got a press conference.’ I’m looking at him like, ‘Who is that?’ He was like, ‘Hey, man, I’m Talib.’ I was like, ‘Oh, man! What’s up?’ Going back and forth, it felt good. I said, ‘You know what? I see exactly what they’re doing.’ So it was good.”

On whether it was “a circus” to play for the Cowboys

“I think you can never say anything is a circus. In this league there are a lot of changes and things going on. They’re a great organization and I was proud to be part of that organization.”

On the Broncos going so big early in free agency and what message that sends

“I think the thing is we’re trying to make a statement. A statement that we’re a team this year to be reckoned with. It hurt hard enough playing as well during the regular season and not being able to finish, and they’re saying we’re going to act right now and not let that happen again.”

Clarence Hill

Continue reading...