1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett react to the passings of Bud Adams and Bum Phillips

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Oct 21, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

29,323 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    Two Texas football legends died in the last three days. Former Houstin Oilers coach Bum Phillips passed away on Friday.

He was followed on Monday by his former boss Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams, who died at his home in Houston at the age of 90.

Adams, who was one of the pioneeers of the old American Football League, was the original owner of the Houston Oilers and moved them to Tennessee in 1997. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett reacted to their deahts on Monday.

“I consider Bud one of the founders of the game of professional football because of his role in helping to create the American Football League,” Jones said in a statement. “Loyalty was always a strong trademark of Bud Adams. He turned down an opportunity to place an NFL team in Houston because he had already made a prior commitment to Lamar Hunt and the AFL. Bud was a role model for me. He was a great man and a great Texan. He will be missed and remembered.”

Phillip's death was a little more personal to the Cowboys considering that his son Wade Phillips preceded Garrett as head coach and his grandson Wes is still on the staff as tight ends coach.

"He's certainly a legend," Garrett said. "One of the great coaches in this league. A legendary high school coach here in Texas and a fantastic guy. I didn't know Bum well. I only visited with him only on a couple of different occasions, but I've had tremendous fondness for Wade and for Wes and their entire family. So many great stories about him and just his approach to football, his approach to life and the kind of guy he's been for a long, long time. He lived 90 years, he lived a full-life and impacted a lot of lives. I think anybody whose had a chance to be around him would say the same thing, a really special person."

Clarence Hill

Continue reading...