1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Media puts the wrong Cowboys suspect under microscope

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Wood, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,056 Messages
    3,973 Likes Received
    He handled the mic-with the exception of the question about his brother-with his usual aplomb. I didn't notice any squirming. There was some evasiveness, but that pretty much should have been expected.
  3. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

587 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    why do i feel as if JJ really mess up a good thing.. It seem as JG was really building with this team and JJ did said and did what he did. I'm just getting tired of JJ.. If he wishes to win something he should step back and let the coach coach and his players play.Now look at JG I just do not see him as a hc next year after that mess JJ pulled.
  4. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,535 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    the only thing i saw with jason garrett in that press conference was how unemotional he was.
  5. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,288 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Well, if you buy into the notion that playcalling wasn't to blame, that the Oline was the main issue, then it will still be on Jason to fix that.

If we go once again not really fixing the line, just throwing a few JAGS or a mid-level draft pick at it and crossing his fingers hoping for the best, then he deserves as much blame as bad playcalling.

Jason has had years to try and convince Jerry to throw real resources at the O-line. He HAS gotten Tyron to be fair, but that's it. One answer to a five part problem does not a solution make.

I understand trying to sway Jerry from the shiny toys to go get needed linemen is probably very hard, but it's something a HC HAS to do to be effective. If he can't do it, especially this offseason when his job is on the line, he will never be able to.

Here's hoping Garrett has it in him this year, even though with the switch to 4-3, Jerry will probably be poo-pooing the notion that a few good O-linemen are needed and a high (1st preferably but at least a 2nd) draft pick must be spent. If not, what little hope I have Garrett might be able to recover and become a decent HC will fly away.
  6. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I think this "Jerry always goes for the glamour player" is overstated personally. Look at our draft picks in recent years. They're all significant needs. I think the one that that can be 2nd guessed is Claiborne given the cost (1st & 2nd). But to me that's pretty much the only one.

Claiborne, nothing, Crawford, Wilbur/Johnson
    Tyron, Carter, DeMarco, Arkin
    Dez, Lee, nothing, Owusu-Ansah (4th), S.Young (6th)
    J.Williams (3), Brewster (3)

Carr, Livings & Bernadeau in free agency.

And while Tyron is the only significant high draft pick we have made some picks there - Arkin, S.Young, Brewster. They just haven't panned out. Then we did grab Livings & Bern in FA last year. Criticize the picks (draft & FA) but its not like we're way out of balance.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    O line has stunk for several years. Yet Jerruh uses ONE high pick and then cheap JAGs in FA. Yeah I would call that way out of balance
  8. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,288 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Correct. We're not good enough at evaluating O-line prospects for some reason to be one of those teams who can draft them using mid-to-low level draft picks and get good players. We've got to spend more high level picks on our O-line. Much more likely to "hit" on an O-line draft pick if you draft the cream.
  9. skicat1898

skicat1898 Member

275 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry does not want a HC that will get credit for any success the team has. Jerry desperately wants to be known as a football guy and the reason behind the 90's success and any future success.

Until that attitude is changed, even if it is just a bit, no more trips to the Super Bowl for our 'Boys unless they buy a ticket.
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    The list of "shiny toys" that we didn't need, is pretty short. The Claiborne trade-up is the popular answer but its only a single event, not a pattern.

And for every top pick that COULD have been spent on an O-lineman it leaves another hole in the roster. If we weren't complaining about no resources spent on O-lineman then it would be another position on the team. Which of Dez, Lee or Carter did you want to do without?

I get that opinions vary. I get that you could certainly make a case to choose O-line over Claiborne. But the implication that Jerry's just picking shiny toys without regard to need is an overstatement IMO.
  11. burmafrd

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    OK lets put it this way: Jerruh thinks just about every OTHER part of the team is shiny except for the O line
  12. MissionCoach

MissionCoach Active Member

838 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Why doesn't Jerry just get it over and done with already and appoint himself Head Coach of the Cowboys.

He can hire Lacewell as the OC....with Kiffen already on board, it will be like a re-make of Grumpy Old Men :geezer: :geezer: :geezer:
  13. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    So which positions do you believe have been overemphasized?
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Nice ;)

Only thing I can think of is WR, if you include the RW trade.
  15. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    Not only is it a single event, it also doesn't fit the argument of a position that we didn't need. We had Carr. That's it. Scandrick is no outside starter and if ANYONE even believes Jenkins was a possibility for a second, they are not paying attention. Not only was he hurt, it had been made abundantly clear that we'd have him for 2012 and that would be it. Last year was the PERFECT time to jump at a top flight CB. You know you have Jenkins for one year and one year only and that covers you for Claiborne rookie growing pains if needed. Then we have a guy ready to go next year.

Turns out Jenkins was unable to play a good chunk of the year due to lingering injuries so we needed Claiborne even more.
  16. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    The Roy11 deal was certainly a debacle. What we gave versus what we got. :bang2:

Thank goodness it didn't stop us from drafting Dez in 2010. And its those two moves in concert, along with the Carr & Claiborne moves of this past offseason that fuel this cry.

But if you look at it carefully those moves (Dez, Carr & Claiborne) were very legitimate needs. And today we're certainly not overstocked there.

I think we all know that if Jerry had spent the those picks/$ differently that the same accusation could be made about ignoring other positions. Shoot safety, by comparison is STILL being ignored.

I certainly respect the opinions that think we could have flip-flopped the decisions - spending the big picks & $ at O-line and the lesser at WR, CB, LB etc. But its certainly no guarantee we'd be better off, just different.
  17. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Agreed. I get that some would've used the picks differently but I suspect we'd just have similar weaknesses in other areas.

I also get that its just natural for some to paint every shortcoming of this team as somehow this foolish blunder by our completely incompetent GM.
  18. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Erik,

BTW, Just took a moment to review your "Gosselin Article Dart Board." :laugh2:
  19. burmafrd

41,160 Messages
    1,292 Likes Received
    You should ask a better question: Which positions have chronically underperformed over the last 5 years?

THAT is where a GOOD GM should put his efforts. A very WEAK position tends to pull others down as well.
  20. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    That's exactly right. Yes it hurts that we didn't have 2nd rounder last year, but I think we are more solid than we have been in decades at the CB spot.

The problem hasn't been NOT using draft picks on the OL, it's been missing on the OL picks we make. We should have been able to hit in the 3rd and 4th rounds. We've made those picks and missed. Yes that is JJ's fault in part because he's the GM. But I blame the scouts in many of these cases. I don't even know if scouts have been let go because of some of these choices, but I think they should have been.

Drafting flashy players like Claiborne and Dez is not the problem. Choosing guys like Marten, Brewster, Peterman (and now Free) and probably Arkin is the problem.

Thanks for the compliment on the dartboard btw :D