1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Rookie Terrance Williams acknowledges he ran wrong route, needs to get on same page with...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Aug 19, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

30,981 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Cowboys rookie receiver Terrance Williams acknowledged he ran the wrong route on the over thrown ball from quarterback Tony Romo in the first quarter against the Cardinals.

It was a communication breakdown between Williams and Romo as the two are still trying to develop some chemistry.

"It’s something I can come back and watch the film and continue to develop and being on the same page with him," Williams said. "It was just something that he pointed the safety out. I was too focused on the play that he called instead of doing the check down. But it’s something I just have to continue to keep learning how he calls things and just my eyes more and have common sense."

That being said, the Cowboys are not unhappy with the route Williams ran. He beat his man off the ball and was wide open. It's a play that coach Jason Garrett said should have still resulted in a completion and a touchdown if Romo didn't over throw the ball.

Clarence Hill

Continue reading...
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Keep working young fella!
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,502 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Like seeing young players being accountable. In a few years we may look back on the Frederick and Williams picks as extremely shrewd moves by the FO.
  4. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,368 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    "It was just something that he pointed the safety out. I was too focused on the play that he called instead of doing the check down. But it’s something I just have to continue to keep learning how he calls things and just my eyes more and have common sense."

Jason Garrett said it should have still resulted in a completion and a touchdown if Romo didnt over throw the ball.

And the saga continues............... :)
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    I still dont understand what route he was supposed to run other than what he did....

The biggest problem I have with that play is that I thought he could have laid out to try to make a play on the ball...it didnt look to be THAT overthrown.
    Seven likes this.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,204 Messages
    6,994 Likes Received
    Jerry said his adjustment on the route was to convert it inside. Sounds like Tony saw the safety, pointed it out, and then Williams didn't make the adjustment.
    It took me forever to see the play, and then when I did, I was surprised that it wasn't all that much of an overthrow. And even that, it looked to me like Tony had to arc the ball more than he might have otherwise because of the slight pressure up front. A slightly tougher throw than normal, and he barely overthrew it.

That said, I'm so tired of talking about that play. I'll take an overthrow over a pick, any day, and now we've got on tape that Williams can do that. As far as DCs are concerned, for the regular season that's as effective as completing the pass, anyway. They're going to have to respect the outside WR in DAL, now, and we've got plenty of tape of what Austin can do in the slot.

That outside WR with speed is something we were looking for all offseason. I wasn't at all surprised to see us bring one in early in the draft, because it's obviously something we really wanted to achieve offensively. It's another reason Armstrong has a long shot at making the roster, too.
  7. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,368 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    AGREED!! Leave your feet, dude!! (Although he may have landed out of bounds?) Still.......effort, right?
  8. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I don't think Romo ever said he didn't screw up by overthrowing Williams. He pointed out Williams' misstep and that's what got reported. Romo needs to stop being so honest with the media. Pointing out a WR's mistake is something that should be done on the sideline, locker room, or practice field.

To the media you just say "I wish we had that one back" and call it a day.
    Seven and RoyTheHammer like this.
  9. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Or preferably to the young WR, "You were wide open. I missed you."