1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Terrance Williams takes the blame for a Tony Romo interception again

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Nov 3, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

23,731 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Terrance Williams said he needed to do a better job of preventing the interception of Tony Romo in the fourth quarter.

“I ran past him to try to see if he would turn and move his hips, but he didn’t. He just stayed there,” Williams said of cornerback A.J. Jefferson, who grabbed the sideline pass with 4:29 left in the game and the Vikings ahead 23-20. “I tried to cut him off, but I’ve just got to do a better job of being more physical, or just at least trying to deflect the ball so a pick like that wouldn’t happen.”

Coach Jason Garrett agreed.

“Certainly, the coverage was tight, and the guy made a good play, good break on the football,” he said. “When it is one-on-one, you have to cut the ball loose. You have to count on the receiver winning and the receiver making the play for you, and certainly, not a lot of bad things happening.”

The Cowboys got the ball back and drove for the game-winning touchdown, getting Williams, and Romo, off the hook.

It’s the second time Williams has taken the blame for an interception. In the season opener against the New York Giants, he ran a route incorrectly.

-- Carlos Mendez

Twitter @calexmendez

Continue reading...
  2. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    twill got lazy on that route, ran it horribly
    65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  3. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,052 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    The first interception was definitely Williams's fault, but this one is 100% on Romo. Though it's a good thing he took blame for the interception even though it wasn't his fault, his teammates will take notice and this will go a long way with them.
  4. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,391 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    I love how you know better than both an NFL receiver AND a former NFL QB/Current OC.

Both men with insider knowledge spoke to the point. You with no insider info just puked to the point. Romo might have made an ill-advised throw. Then again he might have expected his big, rangy receiver to come back to the ball and not allow himself to be undercut and defeated by a smaller man.

T-Will is a class act. He took ownership of an interception that certainly wasn't all (maybe half?) his fault. As Romo has said recently...the kid is growing into something special hard and fast.

In retrospect I doubt Tony is happy about that throw. But I doubt anyone w/knowledge is happy with how Terrance conducted himself in this play. But let's keep it real: No one died. No need for executions. Live and learn. Team game.
    FuzzyLumpkins, Fletch and mcompact like this.
  5. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    just watch the replay, horrible effort on the route
  6. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    JeffInDC likes this.
  7. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

157 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Romo could've thrown it more to the sideline for sure, but Williams could've definitely fought more for the ball. I say both guys share blame on the play. Regardless they showed poise when they were given another chance and capitalized on it!
  8. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,052 Messages
    1,177 Likes Received
    And I love how you're so clueless. First interception that happened between them was without a doubt on Williams. On the second interception it looked like Romo was just trying to force it into an unnecessary tight window, and it got picked. No reason to make risky throws during a time like that, and when he got the ball back soon after he redeemed himself.
    Wayne02 likes this.
  9. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    hoe many times on Sunday did guys make the same throw and the receiver came up with it--Romo made the right read and throw, but the defender adjusted better than the receiver
    Zimmy Lives likes this.
  10. bark

bark Well-Known Member

1,885 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    No matter whose fault it was, when you throw the ball as much as we do without the threat of a run, interception are going to happen
  11. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,465 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Never Tony's fault.
  12. 65fastback2plus2

65fastback2plus2 Well-Known Member

830 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    not never...just rarely. which is pretty factual. most qb's int's are someone else's fault. only the horrible ones like ponder's int yesterday on a very underthrown ball are the qb's fault.
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,596 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    I'll go with equal blame here. It wasn't the best decision by Tony and it wasn't a good effort in the least by Williams.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,963 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    I thought that was a pretty sweet play by the DB. At some point you have to give their guys at least some credit.
  15. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Active Member

992 Messages
    49 Likes Received
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,963 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    It's remarkable how few there have been under these circumstances. And of the 6 so far, it's not even remotely debatable that QB was the key culprit on at least 3-4 of them.
    21 TDs and 6 ints is really good.

As for TWill, he's further along than I thought he'd be at this stage, so I have hard time dogging him too much. We knew his hands were average at best, but even then I think the kid has a bright future due to his overall ability and potential.
    dstovall5 likes this.
  17. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Williams big knock at Baylor (from what I hear from Baylor fans) was his inability or lack of using his hands to catch. I dont think that ball woulda been a INT if thown to Witten or Bryant. I hope Williams improves this part of his game.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,364 Messages
    2,927 Likes Received
    Give this kid an entire off season to learn what he doesn't know and he will really be something next year.
  19. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,722 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Some truth to this
  20. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,263 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    Williams got beat to the inside. That shouldn't happen to a receiver. And I give the defender credit he took Williams spot and made the play.